d'Yquem vs. Tokaji & Others

Found a great summary of Sauternes vs. Tokaji about 2/3 down this post:
https://forums.winespectator.com/topic/ > … s-essencia

Well Shan - I’m not going to retype everything I said on that thread, but I’m glad you found it. And if you’re looking for a producer that is well worth trying, look for Alana if you can find it. Small producer in Tokaj, but top notch. [cheers.gif]

SGN’s from Alsace and late harvest Chenin from the Loire can also be excellent. I’ll toss in Austrian late harvest wines as well.

As good/better than d’Yquem?

GregT’s post (from many years ago) implied perhaps 5 Puttonyos would be also comparable?

Can be. Why not? There was a thread on dessert wines a few months ago that you should be able to find where I think this came up. A great Huet or Foreau Vouvray moelleux will easily go head-to-head with Yquem. I’d also put a great Alsatian SGN Riesling or German BA/TBA/Eiswein in the same category.

I posted notes on CT from a tasting I attended 20 years ago where we had 4 vintages of Yquem. We had a very unusual result for the group in that everyone had the same favorite and second favorite wine, and neither were Yquems. My preferences that day were consistent with my general preferences for Loire, German, and Alsatian dessert wines over Sauternes in large part because they tend to have more acidity.

implied perhaps 5 Puttonyos would be also comparable?

They’ve changed rules in the past few years and eliminated some of the confusing categories. In a sense, Tokaji-Aszú isn’t really comparable to Sauternes and that’s not comparable to Australian sweets other than the fact that they’re high in sugar. They’re made differently.

But they can all be pretty good, esp if you have a sweet tooth!

I just opened a 750ml of a 1988 Climens this week and this was a wow wine. The glorious amber-gold color, the long legs and nose of over-ripe peaches, and the velvet feel on the tongue. The flavor was of slightly over ripe pineapple with acid cutting through the honey. Great with cut apple, cheese and nuts. Better the next day with foie gras mousse and crackers. Bought from K&L for $120. In comparison to a 375 bottle of Y’quiem 1988, bought from same for over $300 which, for me was not value for money. I love stickies and ports and drink them often. Check out Quarts de Chaume. Aged bottles are about 1/4 or less than Y’Quiem.

My first d’Yquem was the same. Blew me away. Was the 2007. Made me want to get involved. I’d of course had other Sauternes and always enjoy them, I do have a sweet tooth, but this stuff was next level.

Definitely listen with open ears to all Greg has to say on the subject. He’s forgotten more than I know I’m sure. Have had the chance to taste along with him quite a few times, including an epic bottle of old Szepsy, which is the d’Yquem of Tokaj…however a bottle will cost a lot more than that 99’ Kirayludvar you snagged.

Anyhow, would’ve said 5-6 Puttonyos but they aren’t really making 5 any longer, which is a shame as I tend to prefer the slightly lower sugar levels of 5 (around 120-160).

Huet’s 1989 Cuvee Constance is as good or better than most Yquems. Alois Kracher’s TBA’s are compared favorably with Yquem as well.

Based on reading I suspect I too will prefer 5s. Look forward to opening the 6 with you and others at Paulee. And will snag some birth year Yquem in between…

Is that written in some Sauternes rule book somewhere?

I think it’s a general French grammar rule. The French are very particular about their language…

All the d’ means is ‘of’ and is referring to the Chateau of Yquem, properly written as Ch. d’Yquem. If you want to write “I had an of Yquem 2001” be my guest but it isn’t proper usage in English just as simply d’Yquem isn’t proper usage in French.

Further, when spoken, the only time the d’ is pronounced is when it is preceded by ‘Chateau’. Without the Chateau d’ in front, it is simply pronounced Yquem.

Added a Huet to the shopping list, thank you. Just curious, it seems 1989 was the first. Would any of the more recent releases compare, potentially with age (e.g., the 2015).

Unlikely. The ‘89 is da bomb. (On par for me is the much different ‘95, but most people don’t feel that way.) It’s possible the ‘09 will reach these heights in time. Maybe.

For me the other top wines since the ‘89s (there are multiple great Huet sweet bottlings in ‘89) are the ‘96 and ‘08 Premier Tries, when no Constance was made.

Before ‘89, the most heralded vintages since the 40s for Huet moelleux are ‘59 and ‘71. But there are lots of great wines from other years as well.

I’ve heard Yquem’s value is in it’s ability to age slowly and transform into something special whereas Faurgues is of similar quality when young (?), but much earlier developing and, of course, cheaper, but not more so than the other Yquem contenders.

Correct as a matter of French usage. But, then, they don’t say Burgundy or claret, either.

Is that true for d’Angerville?