Driving through Piemont, looking for that one #must visit# food/wine tasting

Hi Klaus
The site your wife used is the one I tend to use myself, hence a few we’ve used before. Also worth a look are the langhe, roero & monferrato tourist office site (which is very good), plus the quirky ‘special places to stay’ (Alisdair Sawday), which is a wonderful antidote to bland hotels, as the chief criteria is that the places need to have character. Finally, a quick check on google maps for a location that really appeals, might reveal one or two more options.

Of those I’ve listed, Val di Spinso would be the strongest recommendation, and it’s maybe a 15 minute drive to Verduno, another 10 mins to La Morra and so on. Definitely worth a look at the Treiso places as well if you fancy Barbaresco over Barolo, as it’s so good for dining and is a rather charming little village. The big advantage of being in one of the wine villages, is it allows you to plan visits where you simply walk there. That’s great for post lunch sessions, or perhaps if arriving in the region at lunchtime, to be able to get out of the car and stretch your legs. If the accommodation is attached to a winery, that’s even more convenient e.g. the I Grappoli attached to Gabutti (Franco Boasso) in Serralunga d’Alba

1 Like

Ian, just sent a request to Val di Spinso and Cascina Roreto :+1:

1 Like

p.s. there is a winery across the courtyard at Val di Spinso, but we never visited it :open_mouth: I guess they might be in Roero region, or fall between regions.

Also worth a mention is that they had cats (including week old kittens when we arrived!) and a dog. That was 2012 though.

1 Like