Drinking much 2005 red Burgundy?

Recently had the 05 and 06 Faiveley G-C Cazetiers side by side and the 06 was so much more friendly and enjoyable. The 05 was good but seemed closed and in need of a few years perhaps.

I don’t see any need to open any 2005s now … so many better options on the safe side of maturity …

2 Likes

Interesting to note that Bernard Hervet did have influence on the elevage for the 2006 vintage at Faiveley with 2007 vintage being the first vintage Bernard had influence from vine to bottle and with 2007 also including Jerome Flous managing the winemaking for the first vintage. Thus, the 2006 elevage for Cazetiers at Faiveley would be completely different than 2005 vintage with 2005 vintage being truly the last vintage for the old style at Faiveley. Certainly 2005 and 2006 vintages are different growing seasons with different character, but the elevage technique being more restrained in 2006 certainly has an influence on the generosity of the vintage now.

2 Likes

After winning Squid Games I was able to get my hands on some Truchot 2005’s. Anyone have any input on if the MSD vv is ready to go?

Have never really bought Raphet in any other vintages, but did for some reason in 2005. A Clos de la Roche opened recently, maybe because I thought it was relatively “expendable”, was really quite lovely and open for business, despite not being fully mature. Maybe a more forward style?

I think it’s more confusing the absence of fruit (which is just because the wine are still in shutdown mode) with being over the hill.

Data point from last night. Had a couple of bottles (with friends) of a mid level 1er, 2005 Perrot-Minot ‘Gev Chamb’ that was very tasty.

I started drinking my 2005 village-levels from 2013 onwards, some 2005 1ers (including the Perrot-Minot “Gev Chamb” mentioned above, a hat tip to you sir) already from 2017 onwards. I started to crack some 2005 Grand Crus in 2020, when I thought the world would end soon, but many are not ready, just like many BDX classifieds from 2005.

1 Like

And I had the Gevrey VV a couple of weeks ago. It was lovely.

Opened a Truchot MSD Clos Sorbe within the last two months that was singing.

I’ve got a 2005 Truchot MSD VV standing at the ready. It’s going to be opened in the next few weeks.

Savigny-les-Beaune “Les Narbantons”, Camus-Bruchon a week ago. Silky and well-balanced. Quite delicious. Still veering on the primary, fruity side so more cellar time isn’t out of the question.

Did that Truchot MSD VV bite the dust yet? Dying to hear about it…

1 Like

Nope. Haven’t made the right food.

1 Like

roast that damn chicken or salmon and tell all of us who are anxiously waiting . . .

2 Likes

I should play the Jay Hack game, and cajole people into donating to Frank Murray’s charity drive if I open it!

It has been uncorked.

2005 Girardin - Corton - Renardes. On the young side, but striking bitter cherry nose & palate.

First sip of the 2005 Truchot M-S-D VV is absolutely comforting.

1 Like

Had this one at Tour D’Argent in September and it was really nice with their duck.
EEEDAB66-9709-49DB-9BF2-CCEFADD74C51.jpeg

2 Likes

Very nice thread and I love to read all the data-points.

Happy to report that recently I did a simple-blind tasting of Jadot - Clos des Ursule 05 (1078-1752 $ 72 ) vs Beaune - Les Boucherottes 05 (1029-3724 $ 49 ).

They were both singing but all preferred the CdUrsule… by far. Luckily still few left… [cheers.gif]

1 Like