Drinking much 2005 red Burgundy?

Thanks! I do! Also - I’m not exactly sure what you mean when you say “de Vogue openly states…”. Do you mean Francois Millet? I’ve heard him say that the musigny blanc is for the long haul but never heard him say that about the others. I will have to ask!

1 Like

Howard, have you opened any '05 Truchot Bourgogne Rouge recently? If so, anywhere close to ready yet?

I’m finding some lesser wines really open, nicely developed though still youthful, and really enjoyable. E.g. Alex Gambal Volnay Santenots 1er and a Jean Marc Bouley Volnay 1er recently. I was delighted to find a Chevillon Chaignots 1er open, humming and in an excellent place. A Mugnier Clos de la Marechale 1er was enjoyable but very primary and a bit tight - my notes say to wait at least 3 years before trying another.

My conclusion is that the wines are starting to open, and village/lower tier 1ers are starting to reveal themselves. Depends on how you like them - while good now many will obviously have a very long happy life.

Lucien LeMoine Vosne Suchots 05 is just beginning to open…needs another 5-6 years.

Yes and yes. While his 2005s from higher appellations are not ready yet, the Bourgogne Rouge is drinking wonderfully right now.

A few other wines over the past few months:

Rossignol-Trapet Gevrey Chambertin - just starting to hit maturity, very nice right now but will go on for a long time.
Louis Boillot Volnay 1er Cru Carelle Sous la Chapelle - not yet mature. Needs about five more years
Jean-Luc Dubois Savigny-lès-Beaune Les Picotins - Nice wine. Mature.

1 Like

I’ve had a few 2005s recently: Bruno Clair Marssanay Longeroies, Patrice Rion NSG Clos des Argillieres, and Daniel Rion Clos Vougeot. All three were open and to my taste very enjoyable but not showing much development.

Having never encountered an 05 that I was happy to have opened, a couple of weeks ago I had good results with a few Fourriers. The MSD Clos Solon was the most developed, and I’ll probably open my remaining few bottles in the near term. The Gevrey Aux Echezeaux was a step up and I’d say has time to go. The village GC had that bigger 05 feel to it, perhaps at this point a bit monolithic but not by any means closed and certainly happy to have tried one. Finally—and surprisingly to me—most satisfying of all was the premiere cru GC Les Cherbaudes. Absolutely no hurry but a real pleasure to drink now.

1 Like

Yes I think many are drinking really well. Rion’s Echezeaux a couple of weeks ago was top notch, but it depends on how you like them.

A couple of data points from last night.

2005 Chevillon NSG Pruliers - rather ripe, perhaps too ripe, quite soupy without real precision. Not my style.
2005 Dujac Morey-Saint-Denis - thoroughly delicious, pretty and perfumed but with some real sinew. A great villages wine.

1 Like

I’m still avoiding 2005s for the moment. and probably for the next 5 years.

1 Like

Nice thread.

A Joseph Drouhin Chambolle 1er and Domaine Rion (Michele & Patrice) Chambolle 1er Charmes sampled last year were IMHO not ready.

On the other hand I have had very good experiences with Alain Burguet Gevrey Mes Favorites and En Reniard. A Grivot NSG Boudots was also surprisingly open and quite delicious three months ago.

Cheers,
Doug

I don´t see the point to open any better 2005 now.
Some Bourgogne might be drinkable now, but if … they will be better still in a few years (from fine producers).
The best I´ve had was Morey-St-Denis “Le Village” (1er Cru)/Duprey … but that´s not a top-producer (although nice).
The worst was Clavelier VR Brulees (in February) - only structure, I had to look into my glass to verify that theres something in it - no smell at all …
(not my bottle).
The better wines all need 5-10+ more years … and will keep for 20+
Some Hautes-Cotes or similar wines might be in a state to “try” …

another 2005 fourrier gev vv that’s totally ready and gorgeous.

Opened a G.Roumier C-M for brunch yesterday. Really singing.

digging up this thread.

had some recent bad showings from wine that were a bit over the hill and past their peak. im sitting on some 2005 dujac morey village and wondering if its ready, not ready or…egads…past its peak.

keep in mind that i like fruit.

Popped a 05’ Bonneau Du Martray Corton a few months back. Not ready yet, needs 5-10 years IMO.

I’ve opened 5 2005 Fourrier GC ACs in the last 2 years and they are entering the window.
Bachelet GC AC is not ready.
Bachelet CDNV is young, but drinkable. Opened 5 of them.
Mugnier CM AC is not ready.
Barthod CM AC is young, but drinkable. I’ve opened 5 of them already…
Barthod Bougogne Batons is great - I’ve opened 16 bottles of it already…
Bertheau CM and CM 1er are both youngish, but drinkable.
Gibourg VR AC is closed.
Briailles Il des is just not showing well.
Lafarge Volnay AC and VS are both in deep sleep.

Haven’t touched most 1er and GC, Truchot, Roumier, Rousseau, d’Angerville, Barthod, Lafarge, Mugnier, etc.

-mark

Jean-Pierre

you are the 1st data point I have seen that has put any 2005 as over the hill. Many say give it 5,10,20 more years.

I hope its the latter. Can a vintage of this structure ever be past peak?

A couple of data points:

Louis Boillot Gevrey-Chambertin Les Evocelles 2005 drank quite well recently. Still some tannins but not in any way offputting, fine balance and fruit. No need for further cellaring though it will keep.

I’ve had 2 bottles of Patrice Rion Nuits-Saint-Georges 1er Cru Clos Saint-Marc that have been absolutely great and totally ready for drining.

And Lafarge Volnay AC 05 are asleep.

This past week we had a 2005 Jadot Beaune 1er Cru Boucherottes and it was starting to hit the drinking window. Got better with a little air. In a few more years I think this wine will be hitting it’s stride.

1 Like

Had an Albert Morot Beaune Bressandes 05 that was just gorgeous , and ready.

1 Like