Drink that shitty wine night for Laura's House/Falltacular Through 1/27/19 LAST CALL

Thank you for your assistance, brother - and thanks to Ann for taking those pictures [cheers.gif] .

I think most of us agreed that it wasn’t the worst thing we had ever put down our gullets, but it also wasn’t a wine that we’d need to do more than once either [bleh.gif]

Brian, we were in a restaurant with only one bathroom, so we opted to pour the rest down their kitchen sink - hope that still qualifies. And I will add editorially that I didn’t realize we were such a good looking bunch of guys [wink.gif]

Well done Bob, Jeff, Pat, Chris!

To the rest of you, do I have to extend this another week? Chime in!

Brian, please keep it going. My liver needs a break after this weekend, but I have one I need to purge. I don’t plan on wanting to drink it, so I will get it open later today during the football games.

Fun night. Well done Team Vaughan with the photos and TN. The bronze colored, overtly sherried 1995 Ridge Chard was shitty too, but I’m assuming flaws are a disqualification. Who else but Bob would have a dup backup for the 1989 La Fleur de Gay. [cheers.gif]

RT

If you were where I think you were, I would have made a large donation to see a picture that captured the looks on the faces of the people at the Farm Table if the five of you would have went into that small bathroom together to get a picture of it being dumped down the toilet.

Steve, that would have been funny to see the reactions at that table. I have to say I felt bad when I saw the face of one of the kitchen staff that was washing dishes when we poured the wine out. It’s easy to forget how fortunate we are to be able to eat and drink so well, when others would be thrilled to have the wines we are dumping out.

P.S. We are going to start working on that Bedrock tasting. I’ll be in touch.

Brian, if I do cheapo wine by next week can I get a gold star or extra credit or a double? I do have some daily drinkers and if you accepted the Veleta maybe I can talk you into another. For Laura’s House.

Domaines Barons de Rothschild Lafite, according to winesearcher, is part of the sponsorship of the Bris Andes. So I found Bob’s experience to be interesting. Based on the wine we had from Spain, I’d take most Chilean Cabs in that price range over Spain Cabs.

But the note and photos and story were great…

Looking forward to it.

Keep them coming, the more the better for Laura’s House and for your cellar.

Here are two from tonight. The McDowell had a CT average of 71 and the Vaqueyras of 76 before my current notes, neither of which remotely reflect the quality of these bottles. The only score for the McDowell other than mine disgusts me. I have no problem with giving a wine a low score, but I find it cowardly to give a 60 without any explanation of why the score is so low.

1998 Domaine La Garrigue Vacqueyras - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Vacqueyras (1/13/2019)
Very herbal, wth marjoram, basil, and lavender (I actually pulled some bottles from the spice rack to look for similarities) surrounding a sweet core of dark cherry and umami, with surprising persistence. Strangely compelling, it is hard to stop drinking and a pleasant surprise. (88 pts.)

1995 McDowell Valley Vineyards Syrah - USA, California, North Coast, Mendocino (1/13/2019)
Simple but clean brambly fruit with traces of soy sauce oxidation more noticeable on the nose than the palates where there is plenty of sweet fruit remaining. Past its peak, but still pleasant and worth drinking. (86 pts.)

As mentioned above, this is an avg CT core of 86. A Garagiste selection from when I used to buy from them. Given my note from 5 years ago I did not expect this to be as advanced as it was. It’s not awful but passed the point where it’s really enjoyable. Or just doesn’t have the fruit to support being interesting at this stage.

• 2005 Domaine du Vieux Collège Marsannay Les Longeroies - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Marsannay (1/12/2019)
    Shows a good amount of bricking. Plenty of tea notes. Mushroom and earth. Little bit of cherry on the palate. Some tartness to the acidity. Fruit is still dense but there is clearly some oxidation here. Unlike my last bottle, this is drink much more advanced than I expected. It’s not gone but it’s very alive either. Threw a lot more sediment than you would expect. It also still had lots of tannin.

Posted from CellarTracker

For my entry, I opened my lone bottle of unknown Chinese Vidal Ice Wine 2005. If anyone who reads Chinese (don’t know which dialect) wants to shed light on what the label says, that would be cool. My dad brought this back from China a few years ago for me, but I don’t know (or at least remember) anything more than that.

The cork was going to disintegrate, but the Durand rescued me. It has a deep amber / sherry / beef broth color that didn’t look too encouraging. The aroma is a little bit of plum and brown sugar, plus a bit of a dishwater note, but overall pretty muted. I was bracing myself for the worst, but to be honest, it tastes okay for the kind of wine it is. It tastes like baked or dried apricots mostly, kind of medium sweet, with just enough acid to make it palatable. This was at refrigerator temperature, and that’s probably the right way to go.

If you bought this for under $10 as a basic white dessert wine, you wouldn’t think you got ripped off. I’d probably give it 82 in the conventional use of the 100 point scale.

Thanks for the great theme, Brian.

E4A49A99-9BC0-44A5-BC39-DDFF89AF2812.jpeg
E511A238-58AE-41DE-90AD-DAE97DD78CDA.jpeg

Ha! I bought 6 of these from Last Bottle, and I have to say my only regret is that I did not get case. I liked mine quite a bit.

Sorry for the delay! Here is mine. CT score of 85.9. That is a point or two too generous, I think. Not offensive, but charmless, simple and boring.

• NV Boisset Saint-Reine Blanc de Blancs Brut - France, Burgundy (1/16/2019)
    Tastes like a cheap Prosecco. Light and appley. Drink with a good chill because it gets a bit rough as it warms. Boring.

Boy this thread has dropped into an abyss. Thanks to everyone who has participted so far. Let’s get those post numbers up before the end of the weekend! Pull the lowest rated wine you have in your cellar and let us know how bad/or good it was. It’s for a hood cause.

• 2006 Faiveley Mercurey 1er Cru Clos du Roy - France, Burgundy, Côte Chalonnaise, Mercurey 1er Cru (1/12/2019)
    Pop n pour, looks like old wine, brickish brown with a ruby tinge. Nose of saddle leather and leaky septic tank with nothing resembling wine. Palate is acidic, bland and devoid of most fruit. A hint of cherry/strawberry followed by enamel stripping tannins and a chalky finish. Really the only change between this bottle and the one I opened 7 years ago is the total lack of fruit. Yuck.
    Checked back in after a couple hours. No change. Cork back in and will give it on last try Sunday before it becomes a sacrifice to the porcelin god.

Time did no good for this bottle so down the hatch it went!

Posted from CellarTracker

Rat, the silent auction sheet is continuing to expand so you have lots of targets on purchase day. Plus, you get an extra bonus as you get to see Chris Seiber again. flirtysmile

It’s 2019 Pat. Man up. Or Woman up in your case.

This is weak Berserkers! We’re only at $125. In your defense I can see why up want to hold onto that bottle that’s pulling the overall score if your cellar down. Uh, not
Pull a damn wine and write a note. I want you to quadruple that number or better. [soap.gif]

VINA RUBICAN, B. CORELLANAS

Bodegas Corellanas, Vina Rubican, Navarra, 2014. Based on research appears to be 80+% Tempranillo, rest Cab Sauv. Fast legs, very good clarity, rim variation consistent with 5 YO wine. Aromas are red-fruit dominant: cherry, then strawberry. Understated spices: mint, eucalyptus. On the palate, red fruit remains and light toast also noted. Didn’t seem to spend much time in oak. Overall impression: a friendly little wine, approachable. At <$9, QPR is average; at that price I’d buy future vintages. Drink now.

Editorial: Opened 01-18-19. Ordinarily, I would wait to write the note to see how the wine changes over a few days. But, for Laura’s House and to woman up, the above TN written right away. Purchased at Total Wine during one of those 15% off Spain sales.

Brian, good enuff?