Drink that shitty wine night for Laura's House/Falltacular Through 1/27/19 LAST CALL

Enough to write a worthy note.

Excellent excuse to get rid of the Cupcake Prosecco I haven’t been able to get my in laws to drink for the last 2 years…

Brian, if I choose one of the CT low-rated and cheap wines I have on hand for 2019 consumption is that good enough? I have 2 candidates, both of which are in the 84-87 score range.

Wish this had been posted last weekend. I opened a bottle of Hello Kitty wine… no kidding. It was a gift to my wife from a co-worker. (I won’t get into the Hello Kitty issues in our house). I can best describe it as bad Welche’s grape juice with a hint of alcohol.

Had this one. The 84.5 is too high by 10% [snort.gif]

2004 Kent Rasmussen Petit Verdot looks like my winner. 77.2 CT average but a few very low scores bringing down the score and I question the tasters palates tbh.

Either way, that bottle needs to go!

This is probably my favorite one of these topics. Well done, Brian.

We especially all have those bottles lying around that someone brought over, and you don’t quite want to throw them away or give them away, but you don’t want to drink them either, and so they just sit there (getting worse).

[No disrespect intended to the spirit of these kinds of gifts, which I appreciate getting even when it’s a bottle of Josh Pinot or Woodbridge merlot, but then … you have a bottle of Josh Pinot or Woodbridge merlot, and what do you do with it?]

I have limited space so I take most of these bottles to work and give them away or open at office happy hours. Or give them to my 25 yr old daughter who is happy to receive them. There are plenty of people who enjoy what we don’t want.

I drank 24 of them last month. Not sure I care to repeat this.

I don’t have a big office workplace anymore, but back when I did, there were times I’d anonymously put a box of miscellaneous low quality wines (all or mostly received as gifts) in the office kitchen after hours with a “please take one” sign.

Another thing I’ve done is box up wines and take them to the priests in my parish for everyday use or whatever they want. I usually do a 50-50 mix of good wines with these kinds of wines, segregated into two categories (sometimes using a colored sticker on the top of the cork to distinguish).

But it’s always an effort to think of and to do those sorts of things, so I expect I’m like most people and have several of those just sitting around somewhere at any given time.

What to do if you’re on a wine fast and almost out of French wine anyway?

pileon

What if I’ve purged my cellar of any of those? [grin.gif]

I’ll take a look–could be some homemade wine buried somewhere…or a well-meaning gift from someone…

Bump.

Ok, what did you pop?

Be aware that this doesn’t have to be a terrible wine. Just the one you have in Cellartracker with the lowest rating. If you’re a baller and it’s 95pts then so be it.

Letting this open up if that’s even a possibility with this wine.
A2876F36-3F44-454B-B256-36048AA267BF.jpeg

We went with a 2016 Narsici Winery “Rosabella” Pennsylvania Proprietary white blend. It had no indication of which grape varieties, if any, were used to make this. No CT scores, but undoubtedly the best option in our collection.

As I pulled the bottle from the fridge, my wife immediately says “Ew i dont want that!”. I told her we must, for charity! And her palate is better than mine and I needed it for a decent note.

With horrible expectations, we popped and poured.
6F33C2CA-8348-41DC-9186-94DEFA2D20A1.jpeg
This had an almost nonexistent nose. After a few minutes, we got some Floral notes with green melon. It was not indicative of what was to come…

Sweetness hit like a ton of bricks. So sweet our faces puckered up instantly. Oddly, the fruit flavors were mostly of tart fruit. Maybe green apple? On the finish of the first sip and the only one we actually swallowed, we got what I think was mothball completely overwhelming me. I’ve never had mothball in a wine before, and hope to never experience it again. There is also really no weight to this wine, oddly. It is as if no liquid is in your mouth but all of the horrible flavors and sugar still come through.

Even if this wine was ice cold and it was a very hot day, i’m not sure I could take a full glass down. To the toilet!
57E2D212-4113-4A78-9E9A-0CC0B2D935A7.jpeg

Woof! And I thought my wine was bad [wow.gif]

Faiveley Clos du Roy is a super wine in recent vintages. 2006 is right when Erwan was taking over from his father and I’m not sure of its style. The recent ones drink beautifully.

2010 Veleta Cabernet (Bodega Dominio Buenavista / Veleta Cabernet Sauvignon). Second of 2 bottles; first one was, ahem, nothing special. Prior CT notes were dated 2017; our first bottle was 2018 and seemed past its prime. Trying to be objective here, and the second bottle is different. Subtle aromas of green pepper, green olive and fennel are emerging. Clearly some black fruit, very minor oak influence. I still believe, however, that at $15 QPR is fair to poor. I’d rather have many $5-$6 Chilean cabs and even some domestic cabs can be had for less that deliver more.

Not a purchase I will repeat. Lesson learned.This was a low-scoring wine in CT that we had on hand. I won’t go so far as to pour it out, and it might open up more tonight. It will be good enough for a rainy, chilly SoCal evening.

Here’s to Laura’s House.

• 2006 Faiveley Mercurey 1er Cru Clos du Roy - France, Burgundy, Côte Chalonnaise, Mercurey 1er Cru (1/12/2019)
    Pop n pour, looks like old wine, brickish brown with a ruby tinge. Nose of saddle leather and leaky septic tank with nothing resembling wine. Palate is acidic, bland and devoid of most fruit. A hint of cherry/strawberry followed by enamel stripping tannins and a chalky finish. Really the only change between this bottle and the one I opened 7 years ago is the total lack of fruit. Yuck.
    Checked back in after a couple hours. No change. Cork back in and will give it on last try Sunday before it becomes a sacrifice to the porcelin god.

Posted from CellarTracker

Come on people, where are the tasting notes? Just grab the lowest rated wine from your cellar and pull the cork or twist the cap. Whatever it takes. Time is running out and so far you have failed miserably. $10/note, $15 if it contains a pic of you pouring it into the john.

Posting on behalf of Bob Hughes, who is technically challenged when it comes to posting pictures. Last night fellow Berserkers Bob Hughes, Rich Trimpi, Dave Mosko and myself had dinner at a local BYO at the kitchen table. Literally, in the kitchen. Bob brought his shittiest bottle of wine to share with us in honor of Laura’s House. He also shared a couple bottles of 89 Chateau La Fleur de Gay which did not qualify.

• 2015 BrisAndes Cabernet Sauvignon - Chile, Rapel Valley, Colchagua Valley (1/13/2019) From the cellar Bob Hughes and consumed for the “drink that shitty wine” charity thread for Laura’s House and Falltacular.

Cellar tracker 84.6. Popped and poured. A decant was not necessary and was not going to help this wine. Smells a little weedy and green. I was thinking it could be Cab Franc. Candied fruit. Medium bodied. I wouldn’t say this offensive, but a couple small sips were enough for me. Tasted thin and manipulated a little.
group.jpg
dump.jpg