Dr. Wu takes us out for white truffles and burgundy!!! (Cristal/Leflaive/Leroy/Arnoux!)

Dr. Wu wanted to celebrate my engagement to kathy and ryan’s engagement to Hannah so he took us out for the white truffle menu at Drago Centro. As always food was incredible and we had a whole white truffle to ourselves.

The reds were incredible especially the arnoux! Wasn’t in love with the leflaive and Cristal as both were too rich and sweet and lacking in acidity but the reds made up for it.

Another great night and thanks for the insane dinner Joe!

• 1978 Louis Gouroux Clos Vougeot - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos Vougeot Grand Cru (10/30/2010)
    The wine was really good but it left me scratching my head! There was so much mint at the forefront of the nose and palate. It wasn’t off putting and actually led to a more complex palate but I’ve never experienced anything like this in burgundy. I wonder if it wouldn’t have been as prominent if not for the fact that the fruit has mostly faded and it’s showing mostly secondary characteristics of earth and white spice. It almost felt like a Cote Rotie if not for the softness of the light cherry fruit.

Very nice wine, but very confusing!

• 1980 Domaine Robert Arnoux Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Les Suchots - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru (10/30/2010)
    This wine was in a perfect place. Like all the notes before it shows the amazeness of the vosne spice. The palate was complete with clean fresh fruit, delicate cooking spice and such a beautiful long silky finish. The acidity and fruit are perfectly balanced and is so incredibly fresh. Wine of the night for me.
  • 1998 Domaine Leroy Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru Les Narbantons - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru (10/30/2010)
    The nose on leroy is so utterly distinctive with a mix of prominent black and red fruit with a beautiful underlying moss that just shoots out of the glass. The palate is silky and long and the finish just goes on and on. I love the “roundness” of the structure on this wine as the flavors just envelop and coat your mouth. I <3 Leroy at all vintages and all areas.
  • 1999 Louis Roederer Champagne Cristal Brut - France, Champagne (10/30/2010)
    I’m not sure how this wine will age since there didn’t seem to be much acidity as it was full of fat red gala apples. Almost too much sweet fruit and cream for me. Not my style but the opulence is certainly attractive.
  • 2000 Domaine Leflaive Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Pucelles - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru (10/30/2010)
    Really powerful nose of butterscotch candy and apple . On the palate it was fat and opulent with a waxy texture that showed a sweet long finish. While I liked the wine, I expected more minerality and acidity as while it the finish was long it didn’t lend itself to balance out the richness which was almost overbearing. Almost too rich? Guess the vintage really showed through.

Posted from CellarTracker

What a crazy, fun time…Amazing food, Drago Centro is really impressive…

I actually really liked the Cristal…I was secretly hoping not to, but dammit, I thought it was pretty damn impressive…Gotta give the rappers props, they know the good stuff…

The Leflaive was very pretty…showing it’s vintage more than it’s maker…

Funny, I actually liked both of these a lot more than you did…both were creamy, luscious, and a little bit slutty…I guess it makes sense, it’s also reflected in our preferences in women.

And the Burgs were fantastic…Classic Leroy, a perfectly drinking Les Suchots, and beautiful old burg that tasted a bit like a Cote Rotie, well, because it probably did have some Syrah in it!

Here are the pics if interested…

Facebook" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Joe

Charlie,
Thanks for the notes on these, sounds like a really incredible dinner.

Congrats!
-Robert

great notes–thanks.
alan

Thank you Mr Wu and Dr Fu, great wines.
Best Regards
Jeremy

Great note and Congratulations to all!

The Cristal sounds like something I would like! The bottle of 96 Salon I had last week was the mirror opposite. Meyer lemon, green unripe apples. Wish it tasted more like the cristal haha.

Nice meal and great pictures too! The pictures of the meal sure look better than Charlie’s Hello Kitty costume. You would get shot in some states for that type of costume Fu.

Congrats again to you, ryan, and the future wifies!

Sounds like a great dinner. . . the pics look awesome! Congrats to the couples!

cool notes. Thanks Charlie.

Did you wear your Hello Cat costume to dinner? [cheers.gif]

We had a costume party at work but I didn’t want to put on a costume and get changed back into dinner appropriate clothes (I wore a tshirt anyways to dinner :smiley:). Hello Cat was reserved for our Saturday Party. hehe.

Everyone knows cats like bordeaux anywayz.

Who knew Hu knew Wu & Fu drank Gouroux?

Sounds like a good time was had by all. Congratulations to the happy couples!

I’ve had quite a few vintages of Cristal but not the '99. I’ve never had one remotely like this description. I’ve found apples, and if they weren’t Granny Smith tart, or even Macintosh, they were in the Rome category, not Gala. Anyone else find this an anomaly?

Dan Kravitz

Who knew Hu knew Wu & Fu drank Gouroux?

I had one coming along the same lines but I did not think of Gouroux. Jolly good show, chap!!!

Congrats guys. well done.

[cheers.gif]