Dom Perignon pricing

I’m sure there’s a thread on this already, feel free to meld into one if it exists. Dom used to be available in every gas station (poorly stored, sure) and booze retailer.

During a lunch break today I drove to a few local spots in the Boston burbs and what I found had me thinking I stroked out. All I could find was 2010 DP (both regular $289 and Lady Gaga btl $299) at outrageous prices, and no shops had 2012.

I only buy a couple of bottles, usually at Costco, around the holidays. Costcos are sold out. Boston is notorious for terrible wine pricing of course.

Is it supply chain or inflation related, or did LVMH throttle back production to raise prices…all of the above? If the latter what vintage did it start with.

More curious than anything. Meanwhile Cristal and Krug are fairly readily available - almost the reverse of years past.

2 Likes

In NJ there was plenty of 2012 at 180, which sold out, but plenty now around at 220.

People will still pay the $289 over the holidays.

3 Likes

It’s pretty available at Total Wine (and any speciality liquor store) in SoCal at anywhere from $219 - 239

2 Likes

My impression is that production is as steady as ever, but they have held back some on distribution - in addition to raising prices. My sense is they are more careful where they place their product now as well. For exaMple I used to commonly see it at the duty free shops across Europe pretty regularly. Now the only airport I’ve seen it in all year is London City (with an attractive price!).

2 Likes

Which Costco because the Dedham Costco hasn’t had Dom or Cristal for a long time. It has a really poor wine selection.

Yeah, welcome to the brave new Champagne world. Started a couple of years ago and now all the big producers are releasing their stock in a trickle to keep demand high and prices higher. It’s probably an effect of the economy has been good for long enough, sales have been consistent for years, they don’t need the money now, so they sit on the stock and release slowly at higher prices. Some day when everything crashes, maybe we’ll see them start to dump all the stock in their caves.

2 Likes

In the early 80’s Dom use to be available in the grey market for around $40.00 a bottle. Price just keeps going up. When I spoke to people at Costco, they had no clue when they would get more, then all of a sudden there is a pallet of Dom. I just wish it was Krug, as I have plenty of Dom.
However, when I was there about a week ago, they started to have 3L bottle of Bordeaux again…

2 Likes

Honestly, that’s incredible that people paid that much for it back then. I paid $120 for the 08 in 2020 and you could buy it by the pallet. 40 years and the price only goes up 3x? Unheard of in the fine wine world. Then it goes up almost 3x in a couple of years.

3 Likes

Well the Avon one doesn’t have Dom or Cristal…just saying that you can find Cristal and Krug locally (not costco) with ease, where DP is gonzo or $300.

1 Like

w-s has a place listed that sells it for $200 . . .

1 Like

Even though DP is made in huge quantities, there has been a shift in how they release it. Don’t be surprised to see the largest DP release become the P2. Even as production rises, if you start shifting a couple million bottles from P1 to P2, supply starts to dry up. With demand high, this pushes the price point up.

1 Like

Brad,

If this is true, I’ve bought my last bottle of Dom. Before someone starts yelling “Free market, Free market, blah, blah, blah”, this is a “huge” house controlling supply to increase prices. As a consumer I can decide who I support. I’m sure my clients would revolt if I told them I’m only doing 3 procedures a week now and if you want one, the price just doubled. Next year, I’m releasing the same procedure for 3x the price.

2 Likes

5 Likes

:joy: :rofl: :joy: :rofl:

More than any other type of wine I drink regularly, the prices of tete cuvee champagne have eclipsed their value for me. At ~$120 Dom and Comte (to pick just two) were excellent values, even if they were more expensive than most of the wines I drink. At $100 more than that, they are simply not good enough. There are loads of outstanding wines at 1/3 the price; the (presumed) incremental increase in quality is just not enough for me.

Not mad; just resigned to the facts.

4 Likes

When I worked in Manhattan in the 80s there was a wine store on the upper east side. In 82 or 83 they sold I believe 77 or 78 Dom for $32.50. I was just getting into wines then. $32.50 didn’t seem that outrageous.

1 Like

Moet is saying there is a shortage of their best Champagnes:

They say it is due to pent up demand coming out of Covid.

1 Like

I am in the same boat. $150 for ‘08 Dom was my breaking point. I get equal enjoyment from a myriad of grower champagnes these days.

Who knew a VCU fan had common sense :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like