Does Chablis lose terroir with age?

Stuart I read it more as a statement than a question. I realize that my experience alone does not provide scientific fact. What I am saying is that Raveneau has an excellent reputation for their wines aging. In addition my personal experience supports this. This is but one example. It was not meant to be a detailed tasting note but just reinforcing the opinion of those who drank the wine that night. So yes it was amazing. But groovy and wow would also be appropriate descriptors. Thanks for that.

Stuart–I get what you are asking. Raveneau is atypical for Chablis–let’s his grapes hang longer, not at all bothered to have botrytis in his wines. But his wines are delicious for most of us and I’ve never experienced a problem with aging personally (but only back to 96) and the other question, I don’t think I’ve found a lack of typicity. Have you yourself noticed problems?

What about the “no basis in fact” part?

I don’t remember any wine from Raveneau I’ve had that would fit your theory. Of course that doesn’t “disprove” or “refute” your theory, but please excuse us if we feel the burden of proof is on you…

Bump [cheers.gif]

To ask a question, Guillaume…to “prove” what? I think Raveneau is the Lafon of Chablis. I’ve a decent amount of experience with Lafon as it ages to believe that it becomes more “Lafon” and less “Meursault” as it ages. So, I ask the question about Raveneau? I have no relevant experience with Raveneau. So, it’s only a question.

So, far…I’ve heard no light shed on this question/theory one way or another here. Since that issue is the topic of this thread…I guess if I can’t get some light on it in this thread…I will just have to continue to wonder…to the degree that I’ve ever thought about it before reading this thread.

That you don’t “remember any wine that would fit my theory” or that someone had an “amazing” 1996 Raveneau provides nothing.

I’m not trying to “prove” anything, by asking a question. I can certainly accept an answer that no one knows. And, whether that’s the case or not…it’s the conclusion I have drawn at this point.

I am never afraid to say “I don’t know” (and usually, when I acknowledge that, I just don’t say anything)…but, it seems, that certain people can’t ever acknowledge that they don’t either.

I think I was trying to make a funny…that some of these pictures people are posting – of the trophier bottles-- might have come from Chateau Rudy…given his input into the fine wine market. Especially since…people rarely post pictures of “lesser wines” , and Rudy didn’t stoop to replicating them.

But…it wasn’t a serious comment…other than that the visual can also deceive, as Rudy proved.

Were you a victim? If so, you’d probably find it even more devoid of humor.

Not sure if you’re referring to me Stuart but I clearly say that there is probably no way to answer this question without finding out for ourselves - see above. The many mysteries of wine that will likely go unsolved [truce.gif]!

Nope - no victim here Stuart flirtysmile. Thanks for your concern though! I probably shouldn’t bring up pictures of wine again so please ignore that I did Stu pileon.

No…I wasn’t directing anything here at you, Jon…just trying to make a phunny about Rudy. (I realize that there are indeed Rudy-victims who post here, who don’t find the subject laugh material. I just have no idea who they are.)

I think aging very well…and maintaining terroir characteristics vs. stylized winemaking characteristics are two separate issues. I’ve had Lafon wines that aged well, ie, into older Lafon-style wines.

Pictures of wine bottles are fine. I now understand better their purpose, I think. Certainly, they do no harm…even if they add nothing for some of us.