Do you keep your wine purchase receipts?

Curious whether people here have detailed records of their past purchases?

They are all in my emails if I really need one.

2 Likes

you spelled “evidence” wrong

2 Likes

never…

1 Like

For larger purchases where I want to preserve provenance, I do. I’ll usually just stick the retail receipt under the OWC banding.

Most of my wine purchases are DTC so invoices are always available online. I never keep email or paper receipts on anything.

I have a box in the cellar that I keep invoices in. That way if the house burns down the invoices will burn with the wine and I won’t be able to claim it on insurance.

:smiley:

2 Likes

I kept paper receipts religiously for years and still have them, now that I think about it. I always record the price in my inventory, though, and in recent years, I have emails on many of my purchases, so it’s really unnecessary for me at this point.

I will always keep my Premier Cru receipt for Mouton '82 futures at $37.50, though.

1 Like

When I want to chasten myself I look at the “Purchased” view in CT :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Think capital gains, in the event you sell long held wines, particularly at auction.

2 Likes

I toss the receipts out as soon as I take delivery on the wine, and it’s been entered into CT.

Even for local stores like Binny’s, I order off their website and set the order to “I’ll pick up in the store”. This removes a waste to the store if something the website says they have isn’t actually on the shelf (happened just last week). So if a bottle turns out to be corked, I can reproduce the receipt from my order history on their website.

I have a Gmail label for each winery list or merchant I purchase from, nested under a “Wine” parent label where I keep receipts. I also label allocation emails and misc reminders so I can remember when to expect them the following year. I don’t keep any paper receipts from stores or ones that come inside shipped packages.

I keep them all in an email folder but also record cost and store
In CellarTracker

Nah, never. It’s meaningless to me. The only record I care about is the bottle in my grubby paws! :wink:

1 Like

Mine are stored in an undisclosed location to avoid possible discovery by my wife.

No. 80% of my purchases are online, and I can always log into my account on the sites and go to order history if I need to reference something.

I’m still “old school” . . .

Mark,

In the past, I never did. I do these days strictly for the purpose of capital gains reporting when I sell any wine. Of course, the new receipts don’t do me as much good as those older receipts would have that I haven’t kept. Ugh!

Good to see you Sunday. Hopefully we get together again soon.

of course not ! I never keep old receipts!

Prize for the 1st WBer (not @Kent_Comley or @Jeremy_Holmes ) who can translate the receipt

2 Likes