Do people in your office think you have a drinking problem?!

Funny. You’re lucky to get people to talk at work, let alone drink wine. (not a very social place)

[rofl.gif]

I bet you’d say the same thing about toilet cleanser!

[snort.gif]

Why do they always have to throw those “Must be 21 and not drunk to sign for” stickers all over the boxes of “phone equipment” that I order?

Dang, Marcus, I could not work at a place like that. Been at my Firm for 23+ years. Two of my partners were in my wedding, others run from good to great friends. We had a trivial pursuit competition 2 weeks ago that was quite funny: the Princeton Grads took on the rest of us chumps. Some fine drinking going on that night. And I needed the booze, one of those pesky Ivy Leaguers got all 7 answers right to the question, what are the names of the people killed in this play by Shakespeare - I cannot even remember the name of the play, but in my defense, was on craft beer 3.

I have started re-routing about half deliveries to home, mainly because the mail room guy gets sour. And doesn’t drink so bribes/tips are tougher.

No. They know I have a buying problem. They often offer to assist me in developing a drinking problem by showing me how to do it.

I tell my warehouse guys to leave my boxes at the end of our loading dock to draw as little attention as possible. I’m sure there’s still a bit a gossip though.

you know you got a lot when they gotta come through the loading dock amirite?

Nope, we have a warehouse and everything goes to the loading dock except maybe a few flats. The guys in the warehouse use to carry them over to my desk but it drew way too much attention. Now I just grab from the end of the loading dock. I probably got around a dozen boxes this spring in assorted sizes from 3 packs to 15 packs so I’m small potatoes.

Post a couple of pictures on Facebook and everyone thinks I drink a lot. neener

I don’t, but the impression has been left.

In my case, it’s the doormen I worry about, since they log in the deliveries. And then there’s the guy on the overnight shift who collects the empties after tastings.

I worked with someone who some years back who wrote a wine column on the side. The receptionist confided to me that she thought the other John had a drinking problem because of he had a lot of wine delivered to the office. I think she was quite relieved when I assured it was all for professional purposes (cough, cough).

1 Like

It’s the stained clothes that give me away.

[video]Airplane! drinking problem - YouTube

My wine comes into the shop floor loading dock. Last fall I had been away for several weeks and it was shipping season, and my office had cases all over it. The guys cornered me about how much wine I have, they guessed 10k bottles. I don’t have 1k.

Not sure I like the situation, but with my travel schedule, I can’t think of an alternative.

When I still worked in an office, the people there were sure I had a problem. Now that I have a wine shop, they should understand it’s not a problem anymore.

While I’m not an employment lawyer, I feel the same as Counselor Fu.

But beyond that, I’m a wine snob, so when there are business events with the usual crap wine and low shelf liquor, I drink Perrier (or canada dry). So they think I’m restrained (only those that know me really well know I think they are drinking swill).

I had all my wine delivered to our law firm. It mostly made me the office “wine guy,” which turned out to be pretty fun. I picked out the wine for Christmas parties, gifts to clients, etc., and I like to think I brought the quality/interest up a few notches.

I did get teased sometimes, but I always felt like one of the perks of being a lawyer was that people were cool with that sort of thing in the office, even as an associate, as long as you aren’t douchey about it

I think people think I need help until my boss’ deliveries arrive. I thought I was ‘cool’ with my Horsepower, Scarecrow and a few others this week. That was until his 3 cases from HDH showed up - 3x '82 Latour, 4x '85 Sassicaia, Macallan 25 distilled 1959, etc.

Been at my current employer about a year. 2 of the 3 owners like wines but aren’t cellar’ing and collecting but do get some wines delivered to the office. It made it much easier for me to get my wines delivered. I quickly became the wine guy and started getting phone calls and emails from some of the staff asking me to suggest wines, pairings, etc. So I ran with it a little bit and I now run the office wine club lol. I have purchased around 5 cases of additional wines for the office staff/owners.
We have a decent size computer server room which serves as a good temporary storage spot while wines are dispersed. I take care of the mail person via the occasional lunch and occasional bottle of wine. Works nicely I must say!

Isn’t the server room hot?

If your server room is hot, you need to get a cooling system ASAP, and that has nothing to do with wine. Temp should be under 70 degrees to avoid blowing the sever. Our cooling system blew on a Friday night and by Monday morning, our entire phone system server was fried. Now we have a cooling system alarm - we installed the one that I have in my wine cellar.

As to being the head of the office wine club, I started with 7 cases of Las Rocas in 2004 when I got here just to get people some OK wine for $6 a bottle in large quantities from Winex. Now I know my “customers” and their price points, so when I get a good offer, I share it with the people at that price point. I can go anywhere from $4 a bottle with shipping included (“Bouteille Call” from Bonny Doon), all the way up to one guy who is just waiting for a bottle of Scarecrow to fall off my truck. When I was at Siduri 3 years ago and Adam Lee had just bottled this new weird Chardonnay/Gewurztraminer/Sauv. Blanc blend the day before, I ordered 4 cases because I knew my staff would gobble it up. I have been known to buy large lots at the Acker auction that are being dumped and give them away free to receptionists and secretaries. What else would you do with leftovers from 4 cases of spritzy $19 Moscato you pick up for $4 a bottle delivered, with tax, that you buy for a party at your house.