Diving into the red bugundy pool Am I nuts ? Caution: long and maybe boring

I’ll defer to the Burg crowd on this, but the times I’ve had DRC, they are absolutely superb wines, but they’re also more concentrated, more intense, and riper-tasting than most Burgs I’ve had too.

Which isn’t a criticism (probably a plus for my palate), but if a long time dabbling in Burgs left him unmoved, and finding the wines too earthy and subtle, but a DRC blew the door open, how likely is it that he’s going to have a broad embrace of Red Burg?

Or maybe he should explore riper producers, sites and vintages at other price points?

Whatever he ends up liking is his choice and his journey, all I’m doing is reading what is on the page here, but it’s just something for the overall discussion.

“Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch’intrate”

Shhhhh…

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I do appreciate it. I have gleaned a few important things from your responses. First of all no do realize that I will likely never taste an identical wine to this fully mature classic. However I am sure that with a little research and hands on tasting I can get an idea what styles I like. I should attend an event like La Paulee, which would expose me to a lot of different producers styles. I do think what I enjoyed a lot about the DRC is that it was red fruited and somewhat ripe. At this stage it was perfect but I imagine if consumed too young would be sappy. I certainly enjoy dark fruit too as long as I find complexity and is not too young or tight or tannic.

I should seek out aged examples and maybe make it a small part of my cellar. Although I could keep wine 20 years I could possibly be cutting back on wines by doctors orders I don’t think I should dive in deep, but would be fun to dabble Don’t want to cut back on Champagne mailing lists or Bordeaux. Nor can I increase my budget a ton. I am sure if I explore a bit village wines and premier crus I can have some fun. In white burgundy its been much easier as I find delicious Chablis at $25 -$30 and some great premier crus with a small smattering of GC .

As a follow through question does anyone wish to share any producers names that might be of a little more red fruited or modern profile. Not looking for extreme or California style otherwise I would just buy a RRV. On a more afwe direction would also appreciate any advice on a bit darker wines that represent interesting complexity and decent value compared to others perhaps lesser known or a bit under the radar. Ideally would like to find very good wines in the $60-$100+ range if possible.

I’m not at all sure those are the attributes that I would typically give vosne, especially drc, but a 15 bertheau or Barthod would definitely have red fruit and be ripe. You may be able to find the former below 100.

In the $60 to $100 range, there are still plenty of choices, but I think your best values are in the Côte de Beaune. Volnay for some reason is on the rise disproportionally, but Pommard, particularly Rugiens, Corton and my own sleeper favorite, Savigny are well within price range.

The important thing is to scour the market for well aged examples from immaculate cellars. There is absolutely no point in buying anything younger than 2010 if you want to enjoy wines at their peak.

Of course, I am justifying buying a few younger wines by claiming that I am doing it for the next generation, but most of my favorite producers like Tremblay have increased way too much to make sense. I have however been really happy with the wines of Rossignol Trapet, so bought 2015 and 2016. The Chambertins are less than $300, and the unfashionable Chapelles are less than $200.

I don’t think this sounds nuts to me at all. I’ve had a random walk with Burgundy over the course of 30 years or so and it has worked out pretty well. Sure, not as focused as the hunters and pimps here, but I don’t have wads of cash to throw at it either. So this way of approaching Burgundy can definitely work.

Hmmmmm…Tao of Burugndy flirtysmile

The tao that can be told
is not the eternal Tao
The name that can be named
is not the eternal Name.
The unnamable is the eternally real.
Naming is the origin of all particular things.
Free from desire, you realize the mystery.
Caught in desire, you see only the manifestations.
Yet mystery and manifestations arise from the same source.
This source is called darkness.
Darkness within darkness.
The gateway to all understanding.

Don’t be too sure you have to wait forever on the HN RSV. Recently drank a 2012 RSV and it was a glorious wine, even though on the young side. Your experiences may encompass a wide variety of ages of Burgundy. I have had many wines that were older and did not really capture much of anything besides a closed window or a wine that just never really peaked properly. Keep in mind most people don’t bother to post about disappointing wines…who wants to read about a deflated erection?

Perhaps the best thing for your happiness would be savor the moment, but don’t try to chase the same high again. That is what addiction (like buying Burgundy) is all about!!!

If you have the money, go for it! I certainly wouldn’t be getting in now with the sky high prices.

I think a lot of it depends on your expectations. Are you going to get the experience you did from a 35+ year old la tache from a recent, inexpensive burgundy? No. If you could, DRC wouldn’t be that expensive. Will you be able to find great wines that have a lot to offer for less money? Absolutely.

I think you know that I am not very rich Paul. That’s why on my second post, well buried since it was long, I mentioned I didn’t want to got too deep. Premier Crus should be ok and some even lower wont break the bank, Even if they are not all epiphanies can still have fun. I am surprised how good simple wines can be. A few days ago a 14 d’armailhac we opened I thought was amazingly good and easy to drink on pop and pour. I am sure it will get better but excellent now I will grab some more.

btw folks I do realize I won’t replicate the DRC unless I seriously step up to the plate, However if I did have mega dough I would have cases of the stuff as it was stupefyingly good . The good thing is to drink some of the best Champagnes in the world you do not have to be rich. And to drink the best zinfandels costs next to nada.

If you are interested in Burgundy and not rich, look at these:

Also, realize that you don’t really need to “know” Burgundy or any other wine region if you don’t want to spend the time doing so. In virtually any region, if you find 3-5 producers you like, you can really enjoy wines from the region without learning much more. Many of us (including me) like to go crazy learning everything we can about our favorite regions, but it really isn’t necessary just to enjoy wines from the region. For example, most of the wines I have from California are from Ridge, Chateau Montelena and Stony Hill.

Thirded. There is a lot of high quality Burgundy out there and if you’re not bent on chasing certain producers, you don’t have to go broke doing it. There are surprising deals around if you’re willing to be flexible on producer and vineyard and vintage. And drink Cote de Beaune. So many 1ers are cheaper than village Cote de Nuits wines.

Some 3-4 years ago I had a glorious bottle of HN RSV 1991 … definitely giving more than the 2012 in about 2014 and 2016 …
Ok, I know the winemaker was different 27 years ago … but fwiw just an example that the wait is worth …
Also RSV Confuron 1992 was simply great 4 years ago … both not the greatest of vintages (although far from off …)

Regarding the recommendation to drink Cote de Beaune reds instead of CdNuits:
nothing wrong with that - but a year ago I made a tasting of Volnay (said to be the finest red in the CdBeaune) verus Chambolle-Musigny …
12 V + 12 ChM … the ChMs won clearly almost all flights (and the one flight they didn´t the ChMs were corked and flawed …)

This

absolutely couldn’t have put it better, except that I have been fortunate enough not to have very many of those nasty/costly wrong turns. For that, sourcing information on WB and CT can be very, very helpful.

But yes, the first epiphany experience almost never gets replicated…though you can still have dream-state moments. You’re nuts, but so are all of us who love Burg. May you spend and drink joyously.

p.s., only 83 I’ve had of DRC was a RSV six years ago in Atlanta:

“1983 DRC Romanee St. Vivant
Todd (with the permission of his lovely wife Maria) very generously brought this. Wow. Ethereal nose of black tea—even pu-erh—, cocoa, pencil shavings and macerated cherry. Green beans later. Wow. This continues to have fantastic raspberry acidity tinged with smoke. Extremely tasty with almost garrigue showing up. Some walnut later, it does fade after 3 hours in the glass, but what a wine for the first 2 and a half. WOTN and has to be in consideration for the WOTY race for me. Magic.”

Mike

Agreed. My first Burg was a '71 DRC and I squandered thousands trying to recapture that. Until I stopped trying.

For those still trying, I’ll quote Mr. Grammer:

May you spend and drink joyously.

i have tasted some 2017s recently and Hudelot Noellat RSV was one of the best wines.
It has great purity and transparency with layers of flavours. At $600 I won’t say it is cheap but still relatively good price.

Can you be more specific; what were the wines and vintages.

We did a tasting of four Cote de Beaunes versus CDNs in the same price range and the winner was an Armand Pommard Epenots 2006