Dishwasher and Wine Glasses

One thing you’ll notice is absent in this thread – any stories of wine glasses getting broken or damaged in the dishwasher, other than by human error.

I’ll bet all of us have broken more than a few wine glasses while hand washing, though.

You serve $100 tins of soup?

I never store the glasses bowl down. I get if they have sat a while there may be an odor, probably from the dust. Any glass sitting around a month with visible dust needs to be cleaned anyway.

I went out last year and replaced both of our dishwashers with the latest from Miele, and they are awesome. No spotting and never worry about breakage (which I do regularly while washing by hand). We wash Zalto’s and Riedel glasses with no issues. Really nice to come down in the am after a gathering at our house and not have 20 dirty glasses staring me in the face.

Thanks for the link!

As I said, I care about both food and wine. I don’t generally open canned soup; but enjoy (and value) the soup my wife makes. But if soap or other contaminants remain in your stems, they’re on your dishes as well.

I think breakage is not going to be any greater with a dishwasher unless you pack it carelessly. Breakage certainly happens with hand washing. Stemware is delicate by nature.

I’ve run into issues with an odd smell from some stems washed in washers. It’s an odd mineral like, old detergent smell that can linger in the stems. After a couple run ins with the smell and being suspicious I would ask if the owner had washed theirs in the dishwasher and they had ever time. It smells a lot like a used dish scrubber sponge. I don’t know if it’s certain detergents or what. It’s been a while since I’ve smelled it but I had enough run ins that I’ve always hand washed my stems.

I put our Gabriel Glas stems in the dishwasher and they come out perfect. No smell. I think we use Finish tabs of some sort. Also, I put a very small bowel filled with distilled white vinegar in the glass rack every time. Our water is slightly hard. Works wonders.

Probably a screen or filter needs cleaning.

Thanks for the encouragement and support I got over my fear and washed a couple of glasses and one decanter in the dishwasher! Although I ran it with no other dishes.
No breakage!
champagne.gif

Here’s a great hack for decanters: Efferdent.

Yes! I have tried this and it is excellent.

Welcome to the club! Like you I hesitated for a very long time. My current practice is to handwash generally, but use the dishwasher from time to time to get them really clean or if I am just lazy. But I always do the run with only the wine glasses. I am not ready to risk it with other things in there.

So you just throw a tablet in there, wait then rinse?
How do you guys dry your decanters? I have yet to find a good way to do this - especially the ones with narrow necks.

You fill it to the top with water, put the tablet in there, let it sit for awhile, then come back and empty it and rinse out.

For drying, I have something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Decanter-Scratches-Cleaning-Standard-Decanters/dp/B01LX77V6T/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1R7C3GN8G27TF&keywords=decanter+dryer+stand&qid=1553189290&s=gateway&sprefix=decanter+d%2Caps%2C285&sr=8-4

Amazon has a lot of different ones to choose from. I quickly dry the outside with a towel, then put it on the rack with a folded paper towel underneath (I just leave the same paper towel there for long stretches of time).

By the way, good job moving to the dishwasher for the wine glasses. You’ll realize before long that having other dishes in there at the same time doesn’t hurt anything, either.

Thanks LOL we’ll see. So maybe I am just really OCD but I have a rack like that for my decanter, but not being able to dry it on the inside drives me nuts. There are spots on it when it dries. Or are you saying that using the efferdent allows it to dry without spots?

Efferdent is for leaning. There are decanter wicks to speed drying, I’ve never used one.