Dishwasher and Wine Glasses

I would never, ever put my wineglasses in a dishwasher. Risk of contamination, spotting, breakage, you name it.

Alex R.

I only use the dishwasher for my GGGs and Grassls on a normal cycle with a Cascade pod at the same time that I’m washing a normal load. I’ve found that the rinsing agent can result in a natural wine funk but either a quick rinse with water after I pull them from the dishwasher or a rinse with wine at the start of a tasting takes care of it. I’ve washed a couple of GGGs dozens of times with no loss of clarity or breakage.

The rinse agent is a negative when dishwashing. Not that I have any chemical proof of contamination. The hand washing is easy but takes a little time, so sometimes it’s therapeutic, sometimes just a time waster.

I wash all in dishwasher (GGG, Zalto, Spiegelau) 95% of time. Never had breakage nor spotting (soft water here).
I’m more likely to get cabinet smell (on a stem that hasn’t been used in months) than dishwasher smell, but a little “priming” takes care of that.
I’ve run into plenty of soapy glasses at restaurants, but they use high speed dishwashers that are very different from a home Bosch.
For those that think they must hand wash to eliminate smells, do you hand wash your soup bowls as well? I care about both wine and food.

We are on our 2nd Miele and have run GG Gold, Zaltos, Riedel, various decanters etc. through the normal wash, pots and pans, etc. daily and have never had a broken item. We have never bothered with the crystal setting. We also have some of the hardest water in the country, but the Miele salt works like a charm.

Dishwasher except for the Somm series and we don’t use those very often. Those that have been broken have been broken by me. Or my wife, which commonly is also my fault! :smiley:

I put the GGGs in there all the time and zero problem either.

I have started using dishwasher for all glasses with no issues.

One final note. It is clearly better to load the dishwasher the next morning if you wish to minimize breakage [cheers.gif]

Mostly we use 2 glasses on any given evening. I don’t use the dishwasher for more than a pretty full load and I don’t like dirty glasses sitting around. So I wash them before going to bed or in the AM while coffee is brewing. I’m less worried about the dishwasher itself breaking glasses than I am about my husband breaking them, so I don’t let him touch the stemware I actually care about. Except to drink from them, of course. :slight_smile:

I have some more durable glasses I put in the dishwasher - they’re only used if I am having a tasting with 4+ people over. But I wouldn’t even think about putting my Riedels or Zaltos in the dishwasher. I wash them by hand with unscented dish soap hang to dry on a rack then use a polishing cloth to dry them before they form any spots.

Four years ago, after decades of hand washing (and hand-breaking), I switched to machine washing in the dishwasher. GGGs and Zaltos, all sizes. Dishwashing has proven better, with only rare breakage due to careless loading/unloading. The dogma that dishwashing is ineffective or causes damage hasn’t proved true in my house.
Cheers,
Warren

Hmm that’s good to know - I am a bit scared to try. Do you do it top shelf / bottom shelf or both? Do you have special racks to hold them? How do you prevent them from clinking together?

I also have people in my household that yank the door open violently and I can just see that jolting the glasses and breaking them.

My GGG just don’t sit well in my portable circa 1975 Hobart washer. I’ve had the best luck with Micro-90 lab glass cleaner and a beaker/flask brush (such as: https://www.coleparmer.com/p/beaker-bottle-flask-brushes/48639). The brush really gets the entire interior with ease.

I put the GGG, Zalto Universal, and Zalto Bordeaux on the top shelf. My Zalto Burgundy stems won’t fit on the top shelf, so I always put them on the bottom shelf. I make sure the glasses are stable on the racking, and that that no other dishes can touch them. Doing so, my breakage has been zero for quite a while.

Cheers,
Warren

First, and most importantly, don’t be afraid to do it. The risk of breakage while handwashing them is far higher than in the dishwasher. It would be like driving across the country because you think it’s unsafe to fly.

Second, if you want to stabilize them for people being rough with the dishwashing racks, you can use these. We use them. I don’t think they’re really necessary to avoid breakage, but it just takes a moment and it makes it all seem more orderly in there.

https://www.amazon.com/Dishwasher-Holder-Stemware-Flexible-Attachment/dp/B07CLMXV7Z/ref=asc_df_B07CLMXV7Z/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241947496286&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13976443856078928380&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031537&hvtargid=pla-584851387593&psc=1

I use the china setting +steam on our GE monogram dishwasher with Zaltos of all shapes and sizes and they come out like new.

Right now I’m only brave enough to wash them without anything else in the dishwasher.

Based on the fear in this thread, I’d probably give most of you a heart attack. All my glasses go in the bottom rack, along with plates. The upper rack is full of whatever fits. I use Cascade platinum complete pods. As someone mentioned earlier, my glasses tend to smell more like my cabinet than anything else. I just rinse the glass and go about poppin bottles.

GGG: Hand wash with little dish soap and sponge.
Schott Zwiesel Tritan: Dishwasher top rack w/ cascade
Riedel Vinum: Dishwasher top rack w/ cascade

Haven’t had any noticeable soap smells or taste doing either way.

I really think it depends on the type of dishwasher you have. We have the Fisher/Paykel drawer washers – they have a delicate setting, and can fit Riedel Sommelier stems in either. They also have racks that provide stability for the end of the glass when placed upside down. The problem is that, at least so far, I am reluctant to put too many in for fear that they may jostle around. We also use cascade pods. I have had no problem with odors (and others say, I get more odors from them sitting on the shelf). And they come out so much cleaner than when I hand wash.