Dirty & Rowdy - August 3rd Release

I’ve definitely seen it at Vine Wine, Leon and Sons, and Convive as well!

And yes Hardy I forgot I had the whole fam with me when we ran into you at Ssam Bar!

I received this in my email today:

Dirty and Rowdy’s Birthday!!!

"It is true, Dirty and Rowdy share a birthday- September, 7th. 197x— Coincidence? No. Destiny? You know it.

"In honor of the special day, we are offering a mixed case of some of our favorite wines, plus the chance to re-up on some of this year’s favorites.

_"Please note: Due to the library wines included, only a handful of mixed cases are available!

"2018 Dirty and Rowdy Birthday Case

"One bottle each of the following:

2013 Pet-Nat Pinot Blanc
2014 Traditional Method Sparkling Pinot Blanc
2014 Antle Vineyard Mourvèdre
2014 Dirty, Rowdy, and Enfield Antle Vineyard Red Wine
(50% Mourvèdre, 50% Pinot Noir)
2014 Shake Ridge Ranch Mourvèdre
2016 Skinner Stoney Creek Mourvèdre
2016 Skinner White Oak Flats Mourvèdre
2016 Alder Springs Merlot
and 2 bottles ea. of the following
2017 Alder Springs Viognier
2017 Mendocino Chenin Blanc

*Includes complimentary shipping

"Along with the mixed case, we have the following wines available to ship refrigerated.

2017 Unfamiliar Mourvèdre
2017 Mendocino Chenin Blanc
2017 Alder Springs Viognier (only a few bottles remain)

"If that wasn’t quite enough-- Feeling sporty? We have a limited amount of 2018 Dirty and Rowdy Unfamiliar shirts available in beautiful get after it green.

"As always, thank you for your support! We look forward to celebrating our birthdays with you!

"Cheers,
Kate, Amy, Hardy, Matt

\

• "Shipping:

"We know you don’t want to wait for your wine so we use temperature controlled trucks to local distribution hubs and express morning delivery on the day of delivery. It is important to have a business address to assure the delivery will occur on the first attempt. We plan to ship the week of September 10th. If you need an alternate date, please include it in your shipping instructions.

"Shipping Locations:

“Shipments of alcohol require an adult signature. Please choose a shipping address where one will be available. Shipments returned to Dirty and Rowdy will require shipping to be paid for a new order to be sent.”_

I grabbed one mixed case; pretty legit.

Said in another thread, but grabbed the mixed case since I joined the list late and couldn’t access these wines otherwise. EASY choice

And after just replying to John’s post.,the tipping point for me was the Dirty, Rowdy & Enfield which is only available in this offer

I am always looking forward to new and exciting collaborations between D&R and fellow winemakers!!

Let me think…

Dirty & Rowdy and Cruse 2015 Furmint “Alder Springs”
Dirty & Rowdy and Enfield 2014 Red Wine “Antle Vineyard”
???
[scratch.gif]

In perusing the interwebs for more information about the collabs, I found these two pieces:

Normacorc Vinterventions: Trendsetters
“Hardy Wallace”

Brave New Palate: Natural Wine Essays
“Tasting with Michael Cruse Hardy Wallace: The Laurel & Hardy of California Wine”
by Rachel Signer
October 11, 2016

For the record my friend…the furmint is really, REALLY good

I still have my sole bottle of the D&R&E “Antle” Pinot/Mourvèdre, but I passed on the Furmint when it was offered.

IMHO, the “Familiar” white is still a killer bottle of wine!

My order arrived yesterday.

Currently trying to decide how patient I can be with the Antle and Evangehlo…I get the impression it’s worth waiting a few years despite how good all DR wines are straight out of the gate.

Glad the wines arrived! If you pop any of these early, I recommend at least a 3hr decant. They aren’t “hard”, but they are tight and loosen up with air. I’ve had all three open for 9 days now, and they are still going strong.

If you are going to pull the trigger, open the '16 Antle before the '17 Evangelho.

Even the Unfamiliar Red (not Unfamiliar Mourvèdre), could use an hour (or more) in the decanter due to all the Petite Sirah in the blend.

Thanks!

As a follow up to this, we tried the Unfamiliar Red last night and it’s a beast. Had some weird bottle funk to start with which was exactly the smell that fermenting cider gives off when I’ve made it in the past, but that blew off pretty quickly once into a decanter which was a relief.

I’ve got into the groove of chilling most DR reds a little but this did not like that treatment at all, and it took well over an hour in the glass and at room temp to really settle down and overcome the tannic bite from the Petite Sirah. Eventually the fruit does come and the last half of the bottle was hugely enjoyable.

I’m not sure what I’ll do with my remaining bottle. It’s a very, very structured wine that I would be inclined to give time in any other circumstance, but the last half of the bottle was pretty thrilling so I expect treating the bottle properly to start with would mean it’d be more than fine to drink soon. As the release notes say, this is one for wintery food. I do regret not buying more as this is definitely a wine I’d like to explore over time.

Thanks for the tasting note, julianseersmartin!!! [cheers.gif]

I have not had the Dirty & RowdyUnfamiliar”, but your TN does sound like a different “phase/personality” of the wine’s evolution. It seems like your bottle had put on a little weight.

I believe that it is (almost) a universal truth that the wines from Dirty & Rowdy Family Wines improve (or at least endure) over days following uncorking.

Julian,
Thanks a ton for the note and trying the red It is pretty reductive on pop and pour, but usually a double decant (or maybe a double double decant) gets the reduction blown off pretty quickly. It is meaty, savory, and pretty tannic up front, but all of that seems to chill out after being open. It also seems to hang on for days- I had a bottle open for almost 2 weeks, and it was still very enjoyable.

Cheers!

I admire your optimism in my drinking habits…