Dirty and Rowdy Fall 2019 release

In for a mixed case.

Always great stuff.

Wish i could buy more (of course I should have no trouble getting Joe and Bobby open up their blend for me to sample…)

Out of space but in for 2+2 Mourvèdres. Tasted the D&R Mourvèdres at Hospice du Rhône last year and decided I need to make room for these in my cellar.

same matt, way too much wine but went in for a 6 pack of the mourvedres and carignane.

Final Day of Fall Release Update

Carignane
-After cutting our library in half (2x), we are sold out of the Old Vine Carignane (thank you!)

Rodnick Mourvèdre
-We are down to 5 cases of Rodnick Mourvèdre

Evangelho Old Vines Mourvèdre
-We are down to 16 cases of Evangelho

Chenin
-Good supply. Perhaps our latest tasting note “THE BEST ROCK SONG ABOUT WIZARDS, EVER!” fell flat? :wink:

If you were planning on getting or are on the fence with either of these Mourvèdre wines, today is the day.

Thanks and gratitude to everyone for the support of this release. [worship.gif] It was awesome to see so much board support. This has been one of our best releases ever.

Regardless of how the tasting notes worked out, you are a wizard, a true star!

(by the way, I’m drinking a '18 Familiar Blanc right now and it is sooo nice, dynamic floral nose, super lush with the acid and stone to keep it in check - looking forward to the Chenin!)

I placed an order a couple of hours ago. I sent you a note to the return e mail address. Hope it arrived.

I tasted my first D and R at the annual Di Fara’s offline. Someone out there likes you. [cheers.gif]

Dan

Thanks, Dan. I sent a reply when I got back in late this afternoon. You are all set!

David and Brad- Thanks for the kind words!

I’m a fan of their Chenin Blanc. Looking forward trying other offerings from D&R.

Mine arrived at storage earlier this week so I swung by to move them to the locker (along with far too much other wine!) and pick up one of each from this release to bring home and try out.

Coravin’d a glass of the Chenin Blanc while cooking / eating, and then a glass of the Rodnick (formerly Antle) Mourvedre afterward.

Chenin Blanc. Initial thoughts were a bit disappointing, honestly didn’t particularly enjoy my first couple of sips (at cellar temp). A mid-palate bitter note was dominant, very little fruit, strong minerality (but still overwhelmed by the bitter note). I chilled the glass down a bit and let it sit while I finished cooking – shrimp tacos (cooked in butter and garlic). With the combo of the food, slight temp reduction, and time, I enjoyed the wine far more. This glass was open for an hour and change and the bitterness had receeded substantially by the end, allowing me to notice some pear and significant flint/granite, although still simpler than I was expecting. I didn’t love it, but I was at least enjoying it by the end. I’m surprised Hardy’s recent email notes suggest no decant on this one as it did improve a lot with time, and CT notes on prior vintages suggest something similar happened then.

Rodnick Mourvedre. Damn. This is a beautiful wine. Floral nose. Raspberries, bay leaves, a little white pepper, and some lighter plum. Great acidity. I loved this.

Thanks for the posting, Joe. Just a word of caution though about the Coravin: it doesn’t work on the synthetic closures that are now used on many of the D&R wines (don’t know about the particular 2 bottles you mentioned). That is, the Coravin won’t do anything bad to the wine, but the synthetic closure will not re-seal the way a traditional cork would. So if you lay those bottles down on their sides, the wine may leak through the hole in the cork. I also wouldn’t recommend waiting too many days before revisiting those bottles, given the hole in the cork.

That said, I’ve learned that the D&R wines tend to show great after a day (or even two) of air, so I’d just suggest drinking those bottles over the next 2-3 days instead of treating them as you might another Coravined bottle.

It’s interesting, I had a similar discussion regarding the diam closures on Goodfellow bottles recently. Those really resist the needle so I’m concerned about breakage but they actually sealed back up better than any cork I’ve seen! Usually I’ll get a drop on the cork when laying it back down before it finally seals, the diams were completely clean. Just checked the Dirty and Rowdy bottles from last night though and yep, leakage. I’ll treat them as opened. So, some variation based on the specific synthetic cork. I do leave the bottles upright usually for an hour or so before laying then back down.

Not sure about this, but I think Diams generally reseal with the Coravin, while Nomacorcs do not.

We popped a Carignane on the weekend. I would normally wait for the wines to get over travel shock but just couldn’t resist.

The DR signature is still there but this is a really different wine for me. Quite dark and brooding, a bit more of a “traditional” body if I could put it that way. There’s a beautiful purity of fruit within that structure though and the finish is long and savoury. A fantastic food wine, and a hell of an achievement with this varietal.

I popped a Carignane last night too and agree with your description. It’s a beautiful wine – delicious both with and without food for us. Surprisingly open for business too!

Thanks for the note, Joe! I haven’t opened one since last fall. Like a numbskull, I miscalculated inventory on the Carignane last Fall - I have so little left I haven’t checked back in. (I’m tasting the '19 as I type)

Can’t tease me like that! How’s the '19?

A little chewy, crunchy, earthy, more cherry than strawberry. (From memory, from a barrel sample a few weeks ago)

Last CT was 15months ago, so I thought I’d check back in on the Carignane - lots of stuffing here, seems to me like it needs a couple more years to really blossom… hour plus in the decanter, started to sing a bit, and side by side with some good roast chicken did nicely - eager to see where this goes. Dark fruit, sandalwood, plentiful tannins, an intriguing acidity that leads into the still-grippy finish.

Thanks for the update! When I opened one Nov. 2019 it was nowhere near ready (and frankly not very enjoyable at that early stage), so I’m not surprised they still need some time. I’ll continue to hold the rest of mine [cheers.gif]