Dinner with Alan Rath and wife: '09 Schloss Gobelesburg Riesling, '18 Rhys Alpine Chardonnay, '97 Williams Selyem Ferrington Pinot and a re-vist to '09 Gros Clos Vougeot

Over the last 13 years, I’ve enjoyed sharing wine reviews, sports, travel, restaurant information and much more with people on Wine Berserker.

I’ve gotten a sense of who some of those people are from their posts and comments and it has been extra special to have met some of these folks in person which in every case has confirmed my impressions.

One of those is Alan Rath who I had then met once at a tribute dinner in the South Bay for Burt Williams a few years ago. Even then, I did not have individual time with Alan, but the brief time in his presence confirmed the ideas I’d formed that he was a good person and one I’d appreciate sharing more time with.

That happened recently as Alan connected with me about Roelanda and I joining he and his wife for dinner during a stay over in Santa Barbara.

His restaurant of choice was Ca Dario Montecito, the Monday night venue for my small blind wine dinner group.

When Alan and I communicated about what wines to bring, he mentioned he collects Austrian wines, especially Rieslings, and would bring one {as well as a Rhys Chardonnay}. I’ve only had a few over the years and most of them were too sweet for my palate; so, I was really looking forward to tasting something that might fit my preference for more dryness and this one did indeed do that and a lot more:

2009 SCHLOSS GOBELSBURG HEILIGENSTEIN
KAMPTAL RESERVE RIESLING- this comes from one of the most esteemed wineries in Austria helmed by a highly talented and acclaimed winemaker {see: Schloss Gobelsburg - Skurnik Wines & Spirits}.
It had a medium yellow color with aromatics of perfectly blended minerals, petrol and flint laden honeyed citrus and stone fruit all of which continued on to the back end when tasted; the oily texture added to its charm and finesse and its beautiful balance was its hallmark.

2018 RHYS ALPINE VINEYARD SANTA CRUZ MOUNTAINS CHARDONNAY- the color was yellow green; the nose included super inviting white flowers, honeyed yellow apple and pear with a slight toast; additionally, the taste profile had spicy and vanilla laden citrus with lemon most prominent; there was a streak of minerals that ran all the way through while being delivered in a creamy, mouthfeel pleasing medium; it was medium to full bodied and finished with more subtleness and gracefulness while sporting nice acidity; this was a lovely wine ready to please.

1997 WILLIAMS SELYEM FERRINGTON VINEYARD ANDERSON VALLEY PINOT NOIR- this had a high neck, cork approximating fill which confirmed it had been handled properly since release as Burt’s MO was to fill all bottles to the cork; the nose offered splendid notes of ripe red and dark fruit along with a touch of spice; on the palate, nice ripe black cherry and blueberry fruit was joined by some red raspberry and red cherry as it progressed to the back end where it finished beautifully; it held a steady course throughout and consistently gave the same notes for over an hour; while drinking these superlatives Pinots, I keep remembering when this was released how often the wine writers would say they would peak at about age 7- HA.

I’ve long been a fan of this vineyard located in
Anderson Valley near where Burt had his Morning Dew Ranch Vineyard and have enjoyed other producers’ wines made from its fruit.
Here is some info from K&L about it referencing the ’97 WS Pinot: “the 70 acre vineyard is located in the valley floor of Mendocino County’s Anderson Valley. It was planted with clones brought back from Burgundy. Five clones including Pommard (UCD4), 115, 777, and 667 of Pinot Noir comprise about 27 acres of this vineyard. This Pinot, from one of California’s most legendary vintages in recent years, is weighty and powerful and very very impressive.”

Two nights previously, I had taken the following wine to my blind wine dinner group and it showed just OK with an understated taste profile and a pretty tannic finish. I brought it in case we needed a backup or wanted to drink more and we did:

2009 GROS FRERE et SEUR CLOS VOUGEOT MUSIGNI GRAND CRU- decanted 2 hours, opened and poured 2 nights earlier, vacuum pumped and stored in the frig for 2 days; I was disappointed in how this showed the first time through, but it changed so much for the better and was really good on this night; it was soft and easy on the palate and still showing similar but more delightful notes of red raspberry and blackberry fruit with a touch of spice and now a hint of talc and cedar and not nearly as much wild, briary accents as before.

This was such a splendid evening and one of getting to know our new friends better and hopefully a precursor to more times together, all made possible by an online website connection that at least ensured one common denominator of fine wine appreciation.

Cheers,
Blake

@Alan_Rath

14 Likes

Blake, this dropped out of my sight, but I remembered to go looking for it. What a fun evening of wine, food, and cementing friendships :slight_smile: Thanks to you and Roelanda for arranging a wonderful evening, and orchestrating some excellent food. So glad you enjoyed the Gobelsburg, there are many more like that, from numerous producers. Always happy to share good Riesling! Drinking your beautifully aged William Selyem made me wish I had a library of those wines. Just perfectly aged, in a prime drinking spot. Lovely wine.

Hope to do it again sometime soon!

Glad that you remembered Alan. I’m looking forward to drinking more Rieslings and Burt made Williams Selyem down the line, hopefully sooner than later.
Best

Seven days later after a vacuum pump, I re-visited the 2009 SCHLOSS GOBELSBURG HEILIGENSTEIN KAMPTAL RESERVE RIESLING and found it to be even better with less corkiness and more petrol and mineral laden stone fruit and honeyed citrus.

Fantastic! Those wines are quite durable, I often (meaning almost every time lol) refridge a bottle we didn’t finish for a day or two or three. Sometimes I forget, and discover several days, or a week later; they are almost always still in good shape. Older wines might not be as lasting, but 09 is still fairly young. Glad you got to enjoy another glass!

1 Like