Dinner Party TNs--08 Bouchard Genevrieres, 00 Sociando Mallet, 09 Kutch, others

2011 Hidden Bench Estates Nuit Blanche

Mainly a Sem-Sauv blend, this has come quite a ways in development from my last note on it last January. Now it has undeniable flow and some mouthcoating aspect to it, with a more evolved floral, pear and quince aroma. Honey weaves through some aromatic replays along with an elderflower component. In a nice place.

2008 Bouchard Pere et Fils Meursault Genevrieres

I really, really wish I had bought 2 cases of this instead of 9 bottles. This is the third-last bottle, and the stuff just gets better and better. Audouzed for 2 hours, still has tremendous nose of slate, crisp apple, lemon, light toast and very light sweet almond. Palate is superb, Bosc Pear and a touch of lime gets added, small dose of noisette and it’s all even more harmonious than previous tries, yet still with plenty of power. One of the great values for me in the last 10 years or so, I picked these up at $65 per. Canadian. Oh, to go back and sweep the rest off the shelves.

2009 Kutch Falstaff Vineyard Pinot Noir

Popped and poured, but let it sit in the glass for a good portion of the evening. This was the one everyone drained, but I’ll admit that, at least at this point, it showed with a certain rusticity and, if not burliness, it growled a little bit. Very focused raspberry and unripe cherry scents and flavours are buttressed by clean but strong acidity at this point. My assessment is that this is simply still on the young side, with more development to come, there remains plenty of materiel.

2000 Chateau Sociando Mallet

I had done my homework so I got this ready----4 hours’ audouzing, 3 hours in the decanter and then double-decanted back. With that treatment, the wine was ready to show and go. Fine cedar, blackcurrant and light anise notes enter the schnozz. In the mouth, this shows great structure but with that treatment has softened just enough to let the cassis, tobacco and black plum shine through and play around with the tenderloins in tamarind and demerara sugar which I had prepared. Plenty of spine and carry promises at least 15 more years of life. Be careful if you pop and pour at this point.

2007 De Bortoli Noble One Semillon

The botrytis sometimes-Sauternes-taste-alike, this example had edges of cloves around plenty of apricot, honey, vanilla and peach. It is a good example which is in its drinking window. No one will mistake it for a Sauternes, as it lacks that extra gear of sophistication, but it was yummy and had enough flavour and interest to make for a rewarding sip.

Kwa Heri,

Mike

The 2008 Bouchard Meursault Genevrieres is really a great wine, especially for the value on release. I’m usually a Perrieres guy, but the Genevrieres has it all going on. I wish I had bought just one case instead of a few bottles…

Thanks for the notes, Sweater Man. Funny thing, I have 2 of those Bouchard’s left and it’s good to see traffic on them that they are cruising along. As to that Kutch, I don’t have any of the 09 'staff left but I love your remark about how it growled at you. Classic Sweater Man remark, love it. I do need to get to work on opening one more '12 'staff before the end of the year and seeing if I crown it my red WOTY. I think the odds, they be good.

Hey, the Ducks play Toronto tomorrow up there at Air Canada Center, brother. Time to bring some US winning hockey to that place and show 'ol Phaneuf and Kessel what for!

Yep, I remember tasting through the 2008 Bouchard lineup, mostly whites, and going right out and stocking up on Genevrieres, and particularly Perrieres and Charlemagne. Not 2 cases of any of them, unfortunately, but I’ve been happy with everything I’ve opened [cheers.gif]

I think I have one more 2009, Frank—will have to check the inventory.

And I have every confidence we will send the Ducks back with their feathers between their legs! Kings in the North, that’s our Buds this year (so far).

Alan–yes, bottles [blush2.gif] [oops.gif] newhere

Nice notes. Was at the game last night. Totally out shot but the leafs won. Go figure. Still not enough to bring the fans back on their side.

Thanks for the Sociando note. I have been patiently avoiding my bottles.