Dinner out

Dinner at The Fig with Bruce L. and friends:

1996 Williams Selyem, Pinot Noir Hirsch Vnyd.:
Funky on the nose to start and it never lost all the funk (a good thing); strawberry, cherry, underbrush tones in the mouth; lots of secondary development here and lots of complexity as a consequence; finesse and restraint. A lovely bottle; thanks Bruce.

2007 Argot, Chardonnay:
Not yet released and bottled two weeks ago; obviously somewhat closed but showing plenty of minerality and good chardonnay fruit. A touch too much wood at the moment but the stuffing here indicates that this will be eaten up quickly. Needs a year or two but is still very nice now.

2008 Cowan Cellars, Skin-Fermented Sauvignon Blanc:
Rosy in color; nothing oxidative here but rather bone dry and smelling and tasting nothing like SB. Complex, sauvage and ever-changing in the glass. 13.3% alcohol.
Well received, I am happy to say.

Sean Thackery, Pleiades X
I think this was the X but I’m not certain. Touch of brett on fresh aromatics; lightweight and complex with a feminine delivery and deft finish. Went beautifully with butcher steak and frites.

(2000?) Palmina, Tocai:
I did not catch the vintage but I think it was recent - little on the nose, more impact in the mouth and needed time to open and to warm a bit before it gave much.

2007 Argot, Syrah Drystack Vnyd.:
Rich, full flavored without being too big, some pepper and earth notes, texture of linen and good grip. Young, lip-smacking syrah. Delicious.

Best, Jim

Nope.
But I have great faith in the ability of these folks to say very little if they thought badly of the wine.
Instead, they said quite a bit.
Best, Jim