Delayed UPS Shipment- Should I be worried?

Hi everyone-

I was supposed to receive a wine shipment from Benchmark 2 weeks ago. UPS tracking shows it left the warehouse as scheduled but has been hanging out ever since. I reached out to Benchmark and they didn’t really provide an explanation, just an apology. Here’s a screenshot from the UPS tracking data.

Is this something that I should worry about in terms of affecting wine quality? Could the bottles be affected even if not overtly damaged? Some of the bottles are rather pricey (at least for me) and several decades old.

Thanks!
Noah

In my experience sometimes a delay like that has meant that a bottle broke or leaked and they have to figure out how to proceed.

Hopefully not the case!

My experience is when it says “out for delivery “ it means it is on the local truck heading to my house . See if/what shows up today and then determine the worry quotient.

1 Like

Same here, I would immediately look for missing bottles and re-packing signs? If you can, inspect while the truck is there! If all Ok, wouldn’t be too alarmed with the exception of potential freezing temps across country in last couple weeks?

The return to shipper note is interesting.

Here’s one of mine from today. But they aren’t consistent.

Good catch, missed that. Looks like it is being delivered back to the shipper today, not the OP. Somebody got some ’splainin to do.

Compliance reasons?

Maybe they forgot to note it’s alcohol and that got discovered? All guesses at this point.

Ok, everyone. So the box arrived this evening. It took 16 days to get to me, which seems way too long. The box looked fine, the bottles inside looked fine also. No leakage, no breakage, nothing amiss.

So, do you think there is anything to worry about? Is 16 days transit time in March a problem? Or can I assume that these bottles are sound? I’ve never been in this situation before so would love your opinions. Thanks!

Noah

Cool temps pretty much everywhere, certainly everywhere your shipment has been. Only risk is freezing, and if the corks and capsules are in good condition, they didn’t freeze. A little confusing that it sat around for so long, but otherwise I’d be fine with this.

The big question is how was it stored the 10 days in Mass while awaiting an address correction. Was it inside or outside? The return to shipper happened at start point in CA. Should be fine unless corks pushed up by freezing

Yes, that is the big question! The corks look ok, but I really have no idea what was going on.

I’ve had shipments delayed several days due to damaged labels that had to be reprinted. This appears to be a different issue.

I agree with what others have said, that temps across the entire shipping route are very likely in your favor. What is the oldest vintage in the shipment?

If temperatures are decent in your area then don’t worry about it.
If temps are 85+ then I’d maybe worry. If they had a problem with your shipment it got isolated into that pile.
That pile either goes to ambient temperature outside or room temperature inside (still probably
Not THAT cool)
Depends entirely on the season.

Should be fine given current east coast weather. probably the address was wrong for some reason.

It says right in the tracking that the address was wrong. They had to relabel the box to get it to you. For a company where shipping is what they do one would think that they could figure out an address in less than a week. But no.

Shipper needs to respond though. I doubt they are authorized to look up the address given it’s alcohol.

I’m having fun with UPS about a recent delivery from France to Denmark that took 21 days to arrive. Yet since it was ‘standard service’ there’s no time guarantee….

Next time I’ll cycle it over. Would be quicker.