Decant time for 2001 Poggio Antico Brunello Riserva?

My inlaws are celebrating their 40th anniversary and Poggio Antico is one of their favorites. I only have one Poggio and it’s a magnum of 2001 Poggio Antico Brunello di Montalcino Riserva. My concern is that it might be too young and require a extended decant. Any thoughts or recommendations on decant time? Or am I just crazy opening this? Thanks for the help.

I don’t think it’s crazy to open it, and I don’t think it will require or benefit from a long decant. I’d guess that wine is probably near its peak right now.

I haven’t had that exact wine, but in the last year, I’ve visited and tasted there, plus had I’ve had several bottles of the 04 Riserva, which drink beautifully now without extended aeration, and I had a bottle of the regular 2000 Brunello which was probably on the decline. I think their style is fairly modern, dark and ripe (not over the top, but definitely in that style), and I don’t think it requires or benefits from long aging.

Anyways, that’s just my two cents worth. If it were me, I’d just pop and pour if it’s going to be something a small group of you drink gradually over an evening. If it’s something you’re pouring for a larger group and everyone is just going to get one glass and drink it fairly soon thereafter, I might decant it for an hour something beforehand.

I hope it turns out great.