Cure for the Common Cold?

Yeah, I’m out of spare knees, ankles, shin bones, and knuckles. Hockey ate up my allotment. [snort.gif]

Affrin is great for clearing out the sinuses (and getting back to being able to kind of smell and taste the wine). However, I find that even if my sinuses are clear, I don’t enjoy wine as much when I’m sick.

Dayquil, Nyquil, Robatussin DM, and the occasional glass of hot tea with lemon, honey, and Wild Turkey.

Years ago on a business trip to Amsterdam, I got a horrendous cold and the hotel arranged a call with a local doctor who then sent over meds for me. He did send an antibiotic but also some little fizzy tabs like an alka seltzer but actually made of N-Acetyl Cysteine (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetylcysteine) and I felt almost immediately better. Not saying I was better, just felt better. When I returned to the US, I asked about it at a health food store and they said that many naturopaths use it for congestion and lung related issues. I kept it in the house for years and used it to head off the colds that seem inevitable when doing a lot of plane travel, etc. I stopped using it after my heart attack as I read it had some potential to raise blood pressure and I need to be hyper-cautious of heart related effects.

How many people got served Terpin Hydrate D as a kid? It virtually scared the cough/cold right out of you with the very first taste.

Yeah, I only take it when I’m really packed in and even then only for a day or two. I take the 24hr version in the morning and I am able to sleep ok that way. If I take it at any other time I can’t sleep.

Cetirizine (generic Zyrtec) has changed my life, I take it every day and the frequency and severity of colds and sinus infections has gone WAY down; from one or two a year to few if any.

That is hysterical!

Yes!!!

As children in Ireland, we were given a daily teaspoon of cod liver oil to ward off infection. It was the consistency of soft caramel while reeking and tasting of fish. Even worse was the “upgraded” version which had orange mixed in to “disguise” the fishy flavor. You ended up with a mouthful of orange fishiness.

It took a couple of years of grossness before my mother discovered fish-oil capsules.

Hot & sour soup for breakfast, miso soup for lunch, matzoh ball soup for dinner. Works every time.

There is one, and only one, known and fully effective cure for the common cold: time.

Everything else is a symptom suppressor or degrees of snake oil.

agreed.

my go-to “symptom suppressor” is Cold-Eeze. start taking the recommended dosage at the outset of symptoms - like most people, i’m familiar with the way my body feels when “starting to get a cold” - and then up my water intake by 100%.

and yes, brown liquor is part of the going-to-sleep equation.

My cure for the common cold is chicken soup, herbal tea with honey, and plenty of rest.
Takes a few days to work but it cures the cold.

Aw, just get over it.