Cure for the Common Cold?

Placebo works, well documented.

not all of us have the WWotW threatening our doctors…

garlic in large quantity…like one lightly-cooked large clove per little crostini (w/evoo, tomato; eat ten), or try any garlic soup recipe.

Eric obviously has inside info but I would have guessed steroids as mentioned above.

I agree that psuedoephedrine is the only thing that will thoroughly clear out a sick nose for any period of time. I have used it for trade tastings that I didn’t want to miss. It does make me feel a bit weird, so I usually avoid it. If I’m too sick to enjoy wine, my thought is that I shouldn’t try until I feel better.

I will say that frequent doses of immune boosters like Wellness (and, not as good, but widely available, Airborne) seem to reduce the severity of my symptoms. I’m sure some will say it’s a placebo effect, but whatever the reason, I do it and like the results. I almost never have a cold for more than a couple of days when I keep up a good regiment of those types of things.

Try putting Von Schubert Kabinet in your NetiPot!

Then put a large clump of wasabi in each nostril and an entire bulb of garlic up your ass. Or the other way around.

My last few colds I’ve just taken claritin and nasaids and gotten through them like they were barely there. THIS might be a placebo effect, but I’m convinced for the time being it’s the way to play.
You can’t get me on psuedoephedrine for love nor money.

Why not?

I had something similar and was found to have nasal polyps. At the time we did nasal steroids, but certainly a quick course of oral steroids would work. I have since been on Singulair (montelukast) with excellent control. Everytime I go off of this my symptoms recur. Surgery was offered but not accepted by me. Hope this helps, Mike

Hot and sour soup is my go to. I suppose the curative properties are debatable (at best), but I feel much better while eating it.

Thai food.

Okay, you’ve kept us hanging long enough… what pill did you get?

I wish I knew. The best I can recall it was fairly big, grayish or purplish with what looked like little green and yellow spots or beads. I lived with colds, tonsillitis, ear infections and strep throat until I was 13 and had my tonsils out. After that it was just colds that might last four or five days with temp running around 102 and occasionally, the flu. Haven’t had a cold with a fever nor flu since 1969. Knock on wood.

And Eric, they were giving me Darvon for pain. (Fractures of both distal femurs, with arterial graft, plate and screws in the left leg.)

Rock N Rye___It won’t make your cold go away but you won’t mind as much.

Some of us can’t tolerate it. I switched to generic Claritin and it helps. Sudafed makes me want to crawl out of my skin.

When I get super congested, I use Afrin Severe Congestion 12 hour for 2 days for immediate relief, then Sudafed 24 hour for 2 days starting day 3, while using a NeilMed rinse a few times a day.

You know far more than I do, Noah … so sadly I don’t have any real advice… just a note to say I hope you feel better soon. The last time I had a bad cold and couldn’t taste or smell, someone slipped me a shot of chartreuse… it cleared things up long enough to at least put my nose in a glass of wine and enjoy it for a few moments … sadly, it didn’t last too much long after.

+1, especially if you gargle it. Worked for me in half an hour, albeit 52 years ago … .

I know what they gave you Randy. That pill was full of nanobots, which turned you into a cyborg.

I need another one. Some of the parts are wearing out.