CT CLASSIC MODE

mostly classic for me, but i’m slowing switching. i just wish my office’s content filter didn’t block the website. Wine Berserkers is ok, but CT isn’t. [scratch.gif]

As a result of this thread I just tried the new version again. I lasted about 2 minutes before getting frustrated and switching back to classic. The two issues I encountered up front (without even trying many of the features): (1) it is MUCH, MUCH slower than classic mode to load each page and to scroll within each page and (2) I can only display 500 entries per page maximum, whereas in classic I can have my entire cellar on one page. The second problem exacerbates the first problem because it takes forever to load the page when I want to keep scrolling through my cellar. I could never use the new version as long as these issues remain.

I thought I would never change. Now I haven’t looked at classic CT for well over a year.

+1.
Not to mention CT classic is more information dense.

That said, I do use the new version.

“New” mode for me, though my primary interaction is entering tasting notes, not cellar inventory or tracking. I personally find the Classic mode overwhelmingly cluttered hard to look at. Like anything else, change is hard.

Like several in this thread, I disliked the new format immensely when it was first released. Now, I haven’t looked at the classic mode in over a year. I do everything in the new mode, and also enjoy the app version. Can’t wait for the app version to add saved searches to its functionality. At that point, I will probably be almost 100% iPad or iPhone based.

Others on this thread as well as other threads have stated this but I’ve never experienced it. I suspect it’s a PC-to-PC issue more than a website issue. I use the site on a few different PCs along with my Windows Phone (both through the browser and now on the app) with similar good results. You might try clearing your machine’s cache and then trying it. If you’re in CT a lot, your cache could be a mess of old page views.

You may be right, but I nonetheless never have this problem with classic mode, working from the same computers. Wine is a hobby for me, Cellartracker is a great tool I use in pursuing that hobby. But because this hobby is purely for my own pleasure, I am inclined to use whatever is easiest for me, and that is currently classic mode - no clearing of the cache needed.

+1
The new version works slower, is much harder to read especially if you want to aggregate data, and is too distracting visually.
I’ll use the Classic mode as long as it exists.

I have tried several times to make myself like the new Cellar Tracker, and always I return to Classic mode.

The Classic page is simply easier to read.

As someone that has assiduously avoided social networking sites, the last thing I am interested in is how many “likes” a given wine has. That information is easily-enough found in tasting notes. I don’t need my wine inventory program to be warm and fuzzy

Tom

Classic misdirection. I added an option three years ago to completely suppress the LIKE stuff. Based on feedback from people like you. I guess it is too much for me to expect people to actually notice that though. And people assume that somehow my focus has drifted to social networking. Nope.

Same here (#241), the classic mode just seems easier for me.

Will the Classic Mode eventually be phased out?

I am trying to keep it going as long as I can, but it is a lot of extra work. As I mentiond, we are down to several hundred people per day on it. It is a tiny, tiny fraction of all of our other sites and apps.

It is also clear to me that the vast bulk of people who try the new one will end up preferring it. It is also clear that some people will never change unless forced. And maybe some people will just drop me if I force such a change.

Never is too strong of a word, so I won’t promise that. However at some point we may reach trade offs so severe that we won’t have a choice. As I have said since 2010, we will strongly endeavor to keep it going. I have been try to my word for 4.5 years since I said that. Given that the site has only been around for 10.5 years, I hope that is worth something.

I was a dedicated Classic user. I finally gave in, and moved over to the new version. It works very well. Very well. It’s also much better for mobile devices (I’m still struggling with the app), as it is much mroe readable.

yep. The new version can do everything the classic can do but faster and more efficient. So many clicks saved by moving over. The ability to batch edit efficiently is one giant reason to move over to the standard CT mode.

Eric, as someone in the software business myself, I know that it’s a ton of work to keep around old versions for the stragglers. But beyond the issue of just preferring the look of the old site because it’s something they’re used to, there are a number of people who have expressed significant performance problems with the new pages. Is that something you can address here?

Thanks.

Love the new version and especially how it fits so well into your app.

Also, Eric, well done updating the resolution for iPhone Plus users! You’re ahead of Facebook. :slight_smile:

There are no known performance issues, and our data suggests that the new site is actually faster. We did have some significant performance issues as recently as August, 2013. That has long since been addressed.

So, the burden us on people who claim performance issues to actually email support@cellartracker.com to help us troubleshoot with them.

Mywines all the way.

Super fast with only two users.

I just wish they would collaborate with CT so I could get the CT community notes on Mywines.