Croma Vera - Spanish-Inspired Wines from the Central Coast of CA - *Newbie* - OFFERS CLOSED

Croma Vera is a tiny (but mighty) winery making damn good wine. Based in Paso Robles we specialize in Albariño, Grenache, Tempranillo and Revelación, our Spanish-inspired blend. We produce between 500 and 800 cases a year.

Our winery was established in 2015 to make wines that are a little different, from lesser-known grapes that thrive here on the Central Coast of California.

OFFERS REMOVED

Our name is loosely translated from Latin as ‘True Colors’ and expresses how owner Mindy Oliver and Winemaker Jeremy Leffert guide fastidiously-farmed grapes with minimal intervention, allowing each vineyard to reveal its true, unique colors. It is also a nod to Mindy’s background as a graphic designer. Her designs grace the labels and website.

We select fruit from attentive, quality-focused growers who farm unique properties suited for the varieties we craft. We work closely with our growers throughout the season to ensure the grapes are farmed and hand-picked to our specifications. Dedication and attention to detail in the vineyard allow for the wines to express their sense of place.

Our white wines are whole-cluster pressed and fermented extremely cold to aid in the preservation of aromatic and flavor compounds that could otherwise be lost.

Our red wines are cluster-sorted, and cold soaked for two to six days prior to fermentation. Fermentations are carefully monitored so as not to over-extract. The reds are pressed off, settled, and racked to barrel for 12 to 18 months. Barrel coopers and toasts are selected to complement the vineyards. The reds are aged on fine lees in a reductive state, with minimal oxygen contact until final blending and bottling.

All our wines are fermented to dryness producing wines with very low residual sugar ranging between .01 and .60 grams per liter. All of Croma Vera’s wines are 100% vegan with only the minimal sulfur needed to maintain the quality and stability of the wine.

2 Likes

I had the good fortune to be assigned as the taster for Cromavera this year. Mindy shipped 3 complimentary bottles of her wine (which she should rightly be very proud of) last week so I could write up some notes. To say I was pleasantly surprised is an understatement. So here they are:

2020 Albariño Edna Valley
Pours an attractive lemon yellow with a pale straw edge. The nose is a bit shy but some white fruit, almond and wild flower aromas come through. On the palate, this has some weight and creaminess to it with a lip smacking juiciness that keeps it from feeling flabby. Decently long finish and much more round than what normally comes out of Rias Baixas. I’m digging this style of Albariño.

2018 Tempranillo Joven Paso Robles
Wow, this is a revelation. Pouring a brick garnet, there are gorgeous aromas of spice, vanilla and cocoa. In the mouth there is a symphony of red and black fruit flavors followed by a meaty, savory-sweet second act. The acidity is beautifully balanced; as are the tannins. There is no discernible oak influence. This is such a pretty, juicy, lip-smackingly good wine!

2018 Revelación Paso Robles
Well well, batting 3 for 3. Pouring an inky violet, this wine comes out of the gate guns blazing. Nose of rich red berries, plums and dark cocoa. Also offers hints of cedar and sandalwood. On the palate, this ringer for a modern Rhone is silky and polished. Luscious notes of blackberry, semi sweet chocolate and savory herbs. Medium acidity and a long savory finish cap a very enjoyable glass. A blend predominantly of Tempranillo and Cabernet Sauvignon with the balance of Grenache & Petit Sirah.

5 Likes

Many thanks @Jorge_Henriquez for tasting our wines and posting your tasting notes. As we are a newbie winery to BD it really means a lot!

Cheers,
Mindy

1 Like

Hello folks,

I also had the privilege of being a preview taster as part of the Monopole Cru “Newbie” taster program. The notes below were based on complimentary bottles provided by Mindy, at Croma Vera.

There were three bottles, the 2020 Albarino, 2017 Grenache, and 2018 Revelacion and four tasters so the notes reflect our collective impressions. All wines were opened/decanted ~30-45 minutes prior to tasting on Day 1. I followed the wines through Day 2 with a longer 4-hour decant of the reds and ~ one hour for the Albarino.

2020 Albarino
Tasters commented that this was very much an Albarino. Initial nose of melon, slightly floral, and lots of minerality. On the palate, the wine was round, with melon and a slightly bitter finish. The minerality definitely came through. After being open 24 hours and warming in the glass, this opened up nicely with flavors of lemon and floral. That same minerality shown through. Nice round creaminess and a long finish.

2017 Grenache
This has a nose of strawberry, one taster picked up new oak. On the palate, there were flavors of dark cherry, a mix of herbs, and a brightness; fairly short finish. Day 2 this was singing. Beautiful nose of dark fruits and lovely sweet spice. I wanted to keep sniffing. On the palate this had integrated with no pronounced alcohol and just a lovely mouth watering red fruit and spice Grenache with a long finish.

2018 Revelacion
The nose and palate for the Revelacion both revealed mocha and cocoa powder, black cherry, dark fruit and a slight smokiness. Nice acidity to carry the weight. This was the heaviest of the three and we all felt this could benefit with a little aging or a longer decant. Day 2, flavors were more integrated, less acidic, but still a lovely rich bouquet and palate.

7 Likes

Many thanks @JessicaN and your tasting group for your thorough and thoughtful tasting notes. I appreciate the time you all put in to introduce our wines for BD!

Cheers,
Mindy

1 Like

Very excited to give a newbie a try. Thanks so much for the exceedingly generous introductory offer!

1 Like

@Geoff_Moore Thanks for being our first order on Preview Day! And thanks for helping me find a snafu in our discounting. Luckily it was in your favor. :slight_smile:

It looks like decent weather for shipping in your area so I expect to ship your wine this Monday.

Cheers,
Mindy

2 Likes

Your tempranillo will pair almost perfect with my stuff in Jamones Sin Fronteras. I’ll be ordering some of your tempranillo today. I see Tempranillo Joven 2020 and 2018, however in the website i only see 2020 available.

3 Likes

Hi @Victor_Nebril Here’s a direct link to our BD Build Your Custom Pack offer 1. This offer has a few Tempranillos in it including the 2017 Tempranillo Maduro, 2018 Tempranillo Joven and the 2020 Carbonic Tempranillo Joven.

If you want to see all three offers here is our BD offer landing page.

Glad to hear you are a Tempranillo fan!

Cheers,
Mindy

1 Like

Thank you for offering a non Chardonnay white - looking forward to trying the Albarino!

1 Like

Order in for a 6-pak of Albariño, Grenache and the Revelacion - can’t wait to enjoy these!

1 Like

Thanks @EllieG for the order! I’ll contact you about the best time to ship your wine. It’s pretty chilly in your area right now!

Cheers,
Mindy

1 Like

Awesome! I appreciate the order @Phil_M . I’ll contact you about the best time to ship your wine.

Cheers,
Mindy

In for some Albarino! Looking forward to trying it.

2 Likes

Thanks @Chris.Martin for giving us a try. We are now down to 4 cases left for offer 3!

Cheers,
Mindy

Don’t forget to comment after you place your order to be eligible for the mixed case raffle!

-Mindy

1 Like

Good to see you here, Mindy! We’ve known the Croma Vera folks since before they were a winery, and I’m glad to see them getting some love here.

The Albariño has been a favorite “house white” of ours since the first vintage - like @Jorge_Henriquez said, not Rias Baixas in style, but with some weight that makes it a wine we enjoy with things like mixed appetizers, roast chicken, etc. We make our way through their reds regularly too - all tasty, mostly in a richer Central Coast style but with their own personality, and often benefiting from a bit of time sideways. Good people, and good wine!

4 Likes

Got some more yummy Albariño. Thanks Mindy!

1 Like

Spanish inspired, love this.

1 Like