Crime in NYC?

I grew up in NYC and used to go back a lot but have not returned since Covid.
My wife, born in a tiny village in California is afraid of the big cities. She recently met a New Yorker who said that crime is so bad them many of the rich have left. (but opinions are like rear ends…)
We plan to go back in a few months for Opera, Le Bernardin and more arguements with Jay Hack.We plan on staying around 55th and 7th so we can walk to the two places mentioned above. My wife is fearful and says if we do, she will be carrying mace in her hand.
Is waking aroung these areas at night really that dangerous? I can’t believe that . We could take Uber back from Lincoln Center if crime risk is really a consideration.

PS Is the King Cole bar still a great venue or has it become a tourist trap.

3 Likes

I work on the block you’re staying. That area of midtown is really no worse than it has been for a long time.

The King Cole bar still makes a fine cocktail if you’re willing to pay $27. Not really a destination bar anymore, but neither is the St Regis hosting vagrants.

1 Like

I was there for two weeks in July, walked all over (well at or below 86st) and had no issues.

3 Likes

The crime I see is the $40-$50 entree on menus that seems to have started in NYC several years ago. This unfortunate and barbaric spree spread quickly, all the way to the west coast where its now so common its appalling and even seems almost “normal”.

I dont even think mace will help you here - though you can and should try. Start w the hostess when you walk in, that way they’ll know you mean business.

3 Likes

Yes! UberAK.

I go in once a month ( daughters live on upper East side). Walk all over and have NEVER felt unsafe. My daughters walk with their kids and have never mentioned to me that they felt unsafe. Not sure where all this nonsense about record levels of crime in New York is coming from ( though I can guess but I will not make this political).

As in any big city do not walk with your head in the clouds and you will be fine.

5 Likes

Does Uber still offer helicopter rides? That may be an option to avoid the streets…

5 Likes

My wife and I are veterans all the way back to Dinkins era NYC - and it simply isn’t anywhere near as bad as it was back then. It is definitely worse than at any time since the mid 1990s. We’re in the city from time to time and it’s more annoying than dangerous.

Mostly it is just a lot more smelly, dirty and disgusting - with the foul stench of pot everywhere, especially around Times Sq. The palpable sense of chaos, mismanagement and decline make it seem a lot more dangerous than it is. Fear not however, it is very likely to get that dangerous. Just give it a few more years.

2 Likes

You’ll have a great time. No worries.

The worst thing that happened to me in Manhattan was in the 1990’s when I was walking on 6th Ave near 55th Street at 3:30am and a panel van drove up to me, the side door slid open to reveal a mattress on the floor with a scantily clad, fetching woman who asked if I wanted to climb in and party. If that happens to you, say “no”

3 Likes

Be wary of noodle shops which despise outsiders.
They grind up dead CDOs to make your dumplings.

If it was collateralized by wine it adds a lot of flavor

1 Like

Philip

I agree with Michael. All the times I’ve walked around this part of the city I’ve always felt relatively safe at night
And always prefer to walk, weather permitting

However, relatively is a relative term and for others the crack of a twig on a dark side street could bring on a paralyzing fear or panic. Do what your wife feels is safe and as Michael says, be aware of your surroundings. If Uber is what makes your wife feel safer, take an Uber

The smell of weed is pretty prevalent when walking around. I swore I got high from second hand smoke walking to an offline on the lower East side from Penn

2 Likes

Because of expensive rents ($5000 monthly) and restaurant dining ($27 King Cole Bar martinis), Minimum Mugger Money is now $150.

Well at least NYC doesn’t have bear problems, unlike Connecticut. I don’t think your wife’s plan to carry mace is enough to deter the ursine predators; you probably have to trade up for bear spray which will be most unpleasant for everyone.

1 Like

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/firearm_mortality/firearm.htm

Based on per-capita mortality data, California is scarier.

I don’t mean to make light of your wife’s concerns, but they are not based in any sort of reality. You will encounter zero point zero problems.

My wife and I eat out in NYC all the time. We go to galleries, museums, concerts, sporting events, the theater, etc. several times per month. My 21 and 19 year old daughters go out in the city all the time and my 19 year old works in midtown.

Other than listening to this guy rap “My Adidas” while on the subway returning to midtown from a Yankee Game this past Thursday, I don’t think you have anything to worry about.

5 Likes

Fwiw, I despise anecdotes like this. During the height of the pandemic I spoke with a friend who said something very similar about scores of rich people leaving the city and I pushed back to get some facts rather than anecdotal evidence. Not only did he not have any facts to back up that statement, but a few months later he took advantage of the Covid dip in RE prices and bought a stunning NYC apartment.

4 Likes

My wife and I arrived in Manhattan on Thursday. We stay on W66. I have been visiting regularly since 1979 and every few years hear this old canard taken out and dusted down. My experiences over the years is that NYC is a safe place to visit and walk provided that you have minimal common sense, on Thursday night we took the train downtown, had a drink at Attaboy and then walked over to Pasquale Jones for dinner. Friday morning started with our usual walk around the reservoir in Central Park and in the evening walked to Le Bernadin for dinner and back home again. Yes something’s change but so much remains the same.

1 Like

My middle daughter lived in NYC first in Manhattan and later in Brookly for 30 years. She was never a victim of a crime. My youngest daughter moved to NYC in May. She is in a sublet in Brooklyn now but moving to the Lower East Side to be closer to some of her friends. Most crimes are crimes of opportunity. Be aware and don’t give criminals the opportunity.

1 Like

No one goes to NYC, it’s too crowded.

2 Likes