Crazy value whites - Jacky Blot Montlouis Chenin Blanc secs

He does however make Bourgueil labeled as: Domaine de la Butte

Unless I am mistaken he does make Bourgeuil though. Domaine de la Butte is Blot I think, and the wines are pretty good. Don’t see them often though.

Sorry BJ, just saw that you had already posted this!

From archives.

Pal back from visit to London and found me 2 bottles of the 2015 Jacky Blot Montlouis Les Dix Arpents!!
Lucky me eh…huge Loire Chenin fan. Have never come across his wines here in Canada.

http://vosselections.com/Domains/1141.html

Sec has a good assortment of the Jacky Blot Bourgueil now, including some back vintages and the entry level 2015. The 2014 Mi Pente is stunning.

Just received this email from Flatiron. The weather in NY might suck, but they blow us left-coasters away when it comes to European wine producer tastings.

Thursday, January 19, 5-8 pm – Taste with legendary Loire winemaker, Jacky Blot. Jacky is one of the top producers of Chenin Blanc and Cabernet Franc, working mostly in the village of Montlouis-sur-Loire. This is only his second visit ever to the United States. He will be pouring his incredible sparkling wines (both white and his very small production Rosé, a sparkler made all naturally 100% from 70-year-old Gamay vines), as well as single vineyards from Montlouis-sur-Loire and Bourgeuil. We tasted through his entire line-up this morning and it is amazing. The tasting is free and you should really try to make it.

Sec also has the 09 Mi Pente, which is also an excellent wine, and just beginning to drink well. My note from a few months ago…

2009 Domaine de la Butte Bourgueil Mi-pente Effusive nose reminds me of the “au pied de la Butte” offering from Blot, but with more intensity and somehow more gravitas (seems odd to say that a bouquet has gravitas, but that is how it struck me). Wide open with concentrated, sweet blackcurrants, very slight herbaciousness and quintessential cab franc funk. A strong supporting line of acid which counterbalances the ripe fruit nicely. Wide open for business now but will keep and possibly add complexity with more time in bottle. Another amazingly delicious qpr from Blot.

Kevin,
These wines sell for 32$ in Redwood City.
How much will you buy??

Yep! Think I might stop by for a bit.

Kevin, leave some for me.

I’ve only had a few Loire Chenin’s, almost all at restaurants, and I don’t remember the names. The wines I most enjoyed were bone dry, but still had some fruit, and were elegant with a clean finish.

Any recommendations for Chenins like that that can be found for reasonable prices?

Paul,

I don’t know what reasonable means to you, and I’m not exactly breaking new ground here, but Huet is the bomb. I have less experience under the new owner and winemaker, but historically amazing wines. They make three “sec” cuvees, Haut Lieu, Le Mont, and Clos du Bourg. Confusingly (or not), they also make these three vineyards in demi-sec and Moelleux styles. Try the sec cuvees. I also like Chidaine (but not as much) and Foreau. All are under $30 for the sec cuvees.

I had some premox issues with Huet’s 2005s.
Have they addressed this issue??

I bought a case the '10 Mi-pente wines during EP, fantastic wine for the price, worth every penny. Should open another bottle soon!

I don’t know, as I tend to drink them young. I’ve heard varying reviews of premox in Huet leading me to believe that its there but that the incidence is rather low, and isolated (perhaps) to certain vintages (I’m thinking '02 and '05 in particular).

I like the Blot wines and buy them, but I would generally say Huet is better, when it is on. The problem with Huet is that I am tired of off bottles. I just poured an 11 Demi-sec down the sink this morning as it was hollow and lifeless. I have not had this problem with other producers at anywhere near the same frequency, and I am not buying anywhere close to what I used to because of it.

Can’t say I’ve seen many reports about issues with '05s from Huet. I actually had a LM demi a month or so that was excellent, albeit in it’s fatter '05 profile and I’ve experienced no problems with any '05s, other than a few corkers, since release. What bottles have you had issues with, Mel?

Now, '02 is a completely different story as there have been extensive reports from all all over of how it’s affected all the bottlings of demi-secs, secs and petillants from that vintage.

I tasted through Mssr Blot’s lineup at Flatiron. I agree with Brad and others that the oak presence is quite noticeable, and while well made, not 100% aligned with my stylistic preference. The Triple Zero Pets were fantastic and to me the area I would buy.

Cheers,

As I recall, all three dry whites fell part around 2011/2012. I grew up with Vouvray that lasted thirty plus years. Maybe I need to adjust.

There was a story about a Vouvray house that kicked out wine writers who brought up this issue at a tasting in London, but I cannot remember which one.

Just really haven’t anything widespread other than probable storage issues on the '05s, Mel. Doesn’t mean there isn’t something amiss, but there should be a lot more data points at this point, as there was for '02. However, things have definitely changed in the Loire due to global warming, slight stylistic changes and the use of less sulfur.

You’re thinking of Chris Kissack and Huet, but I believe that had to due with his less than enthusiastic notes on their '12s and his coverage of the split between the Hwangs and Pinguet. Chris can certainly weigh in on that and can correct me if I’m wrong.

Thanks Brad. I knew there was a story there somewhere.

Most of the attention on premox has centered on white Burgundy. I just thought it was odd that all three dry wines nose-dived so dramatically.