Cozy MUSHROOM TALEGGIO LASAGNE

I am a big fan of the columne „a kitchen in Rome“ by Rachel Roddy. This recipe is from end of March published in the GUARDIAN.

I used more cheese than recommended in the recipe, as I had left over Swiss Raclette in the fridge. I think that benefited the recipe. I used fresh Lasagne sheets, but I didn’t pre-cooked them as in the recipe, as it is enough liquid in the Lasagne dish to cook them in my view.

A very cozy&delicious dish for 6-8 people………

Ingredients
50g dried porcini mushrooms
100g butter
4-5 tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove, skin on and halved
600g fresh mushrooms (chestnut, portobello, porcini, button)
1 sprig fresh thyme
80g plain flour
1 litre whole milk
200g Taleggio cheese, thinly sliced
75-100g Parmesan, grated
nutmeg
10 large square fresh lasagne sheets, or 15 dried

optional: additional leftover cheese (me: 250g Swiss Raclette cheese)

rectangular 32cm x 22cm x 6cm deep oven dish

Preparation

1. Firsh soak the dried mushrooms in 200ml water or more for 30-60min

1. Heat 20g butter with a bit olive oil in a big pan or casserole and add sliced fresh mushrooms. Also add garlic and thyme. Cook for around 10min. on medium heat

1. Remove the dried mushrooms from the water. Don`t throw the water away, you will need it for the bechamel. Be careful of muddy parts in the water. Chopp the mushrooms and add to the cooked mushrooms.

1. Heat 80g butter in a sauce pan and add flour. Whisk everything to thick paste. Then add carefully the milk and whisk. Also add strained porcini water and whisk to a thick bechamel. Season with nutmeg, 2 tbsp grated parmesan and salt&pepper.

1. Rubbing the baking dish with olive oil and add 2 fresh large Lasagne sheets

1. Now add part of the cooked mushrooms

1. Also add part of the bechamel sauce

1. And Taleggio cheese on top

1. Now another layer of Lasagne sheets and continue as before.

1. Finally add Parmesan and bechamel. Put in the pre-heated oven by 200C (180C fan)/390F/gas 6 for around 30min

1. Remove from the oven and let it rest for around 10-15min

1. Serve with a Soave by the estate Pieropan.

1 Like

I’m not familiar with Taleggio and suspect local shops here won’t have it - what would be good substitutes?

Make a mix of Mozzarella and hard cheese of your liking.

P.S.

I added pieces of Swiss Raclette cheese between the layers. BUT most of the Swiss cheese I added at the end together with the Parmesan and Béchamel as final layer on top. So I used 450g cheese for the whole dish.

You might be surprised, I’ve found it at my local grocery store cheese counter before, and I am not in an area that has many specialty ingredients easily available.

1 Like

We’re now in a town of 12,000 souls. But there is an excellent gourmet food shop so I will give it a try. They do have Epoisses for example.

It will warm your soul, promised.