Coronavirus and Summer Travel

I am so glad to have called United at an early stage.

Thanks, all. Helpful to hear other opinions. Definitely still holding. Can travel anytime, thankful we hadn’t booked yet.

Planning a trip to Greece in June and still going. The stats on the flu (cases and deaths) are way worse than this virus is at this time. Would I go to the epicenter of it all, probably not. Companies like JP and others have to curtail travel so they cannot be sued if someone got the virus.

Maybe I am missing the big picture.

Just my two cents.

What is the cost of making and then cancelling your plans. Summer is still a ways off. I have May travel, I think that’s a little more dicey.

If you see great frequent flyer ticket availability that is normally hard to find, I would book it and be prepared to pay the cancellation fees. Only book hotels with reasonable cancellation policies (48 hours or less). I don’t buy trip insurance, I just generally avoid things with big cancellation penalties.

We investigated getting reimbursed for the $600 Costco could not refund (United kept $300/ticket to cancel) and the trip insurance covered zero. Our credit card also offered no remedy. So we ate the $600.

Luckily we can drive most places we want to go, my in laws just cancelled a trip to Turkey and Cyprus though for next month.

That is why I called United to ask for a refund, as part of the cancellation. The airline has gained my loyalty.

My 17 year old son has a school trip to France booked for mid-April, during spring break. Nonrefundable payments made. Feeling uneasy.
Edit: The closing of the Louvre seems an ominous sign.

Joe,
we have one confirmed case here in NZ, he is a Kiwi passport holder who was in Iran and tested positive on his return.
I wouldnt be worried about visiting New Zealand TBH.

Still planning on a trip to London and Croatia in June. Tickets are non-refundable and will likely go unless there is a huge outbreak in either area. I think at a certain point either this will get better with warmer weather or it will be so widespread that it will be impossible to quarantine and we are going to have to live with it like the flu.

I already was pretty diligent about washing my hands, but certainly have been even more careful recently…

We’re headed to the UK next month, and we’re still going.

dh

Feeling better about cancelling Barcelona next week. Cases of the virus have now shown up in the city and south. If we had to be quarantined coming back or worse, in country, that would have sucked.
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/health/coronavirus-spain-latest-travel-advice-barcelona-covid-19-case-follows-tenerife-hotel-quarantine-1995876

Thank you!

We have a little quandry. We live in the US -our younger daughter is scheduled to go to Southern Italy in early April for a school trip, and my wife and I are scheduled to go to Amsterdam for a few days during her trip. We are using Airbnb so already paid half; the balance is due in late March . And we might need to stick around for some health concerns for our older daughter.

We will figure it all out-or circumstances may make the decisions for us.

Good luck to all who plan to go to Europe in next few months. I would think twice about any plans to Europe until there is a consensus that this potential pandemic is under control.
I have plans to travel to Sonoma and Santa Clara in May and I am thinking that this probably won’t happen.

We rented houses on Martha’s Vineyard for July and on Block Island for August. However, traveling there involves cars and ferries, not crowded planes.

A guy with your means doesn’t hire private air transportation? I’m shocked .

Plans for two weeks in June in France (Bordeaux and Collioure), transiting through Barcelona there and back. Not cancelling anything right now, but keeping an eye on it.

Like other posters, might be an optimist but I’m more concerned about travel issues coming back, cancelled flights and quarantine.

San Francisco and Napa early August. Not considering canceling, yet. Wait and see. Chicago in June maybe a question mark, in no hurry to book airfare.