Cork Taint

Many people have probably experienced the “is it corked or not” discussion. Along with that debate comes the statement “If its corked, it will get worse”. I know that people have different thresholds for detection so that aspect is easy understand. Its also easy why the wine may never get worse for them because the wine is still below their threshold for detection. However, is there a technical basis for that assertion that TCA gets worse over time (and exposure to air)? I believe brett will bloom but I do not know if the same happens with TCA. Any insights?

I don’t think it gets worse as much as if it’s corked, it doesn’t “blow off” and get better. If there’s a question about a bottle we leave it for a bit and then come back to it and then it’s usually crystal clear (that we were right in the first place).

1 Like

Saw a good trick in a tasting room for a suspected bottle. Put a glass of wine to the side with a coaster on top. Guessing it’ll concentrate the aroma. Haven’t tried myself yet

1 Like

I find that TCA becomes easier to detect with air. I think that is in part because other volatile aromas that can “hide” it blow off but TCA doesn’t.

3 Likes