Copenhagen (NOMA) & Stockholm Trip in July

Would suggest skipping Høst and substitute with something else, like JohnE1 suggested perhaps Nr30, Admiralgade 26, or something of a “higher ambition”. Most places in copenhagen are centered around biodynamic or low-intervention wine, and most do a great deal of notice to make you aware if it’s a little controversial or more relaxed. Most of my friends don’t go much to Fiskebaren, except for their winelist perhaps.

There’s an abundance of good bakeries, coffee and good breakfast spots. Would take Selma, Lola, Schønemanns, Møntergade over Aamanns for smørrebrød any day, but if you just want to walk in then you’ll have a better chance with Aamanns. For bread it’s Juno, Andersen & Maillard, Hart, Rondo. Coffee obviously Coffee Collective, April & La Cabra.

In case of good weather then GoBoats would be great. Louisiana is one of the best museums in the world IMO, and the lunch is at a good level for a museum of that size, albeit a bit chaotic at times :-). In case of poor weather there’s plenty of museums and perhaps the best in my opinion is Glyptoteket.
Then you got to have hotdogs whenever you feel a bit hungry, and the best is DØP and Johns Hotdog Deli. Denmark has the best hotdogs in the world, and i’ll fight over that claim, haha.

For beers i’d say you pretty much nailed it.

3 Likes

Barr is great. Not only for beer. The food is great.

No. 30 has been mentioned a few times. It is great and they opened a bar next door. Best German Spätburgunder selection in town if you are into that (I suggested it to @Robert_Dentice last time he was visiting our dear city, think it was a hit :grinning:).

1 Like

Loved No. 30 and the wine bar! I think I went to the bar four times. I finished every evening there and I tried to be respectful and not drink all of the Wasenhaus. I did bring a drunk French restauranteur who got into a spirited argument / discussion with the owner over their Selosse prices which I thought were great!

2 Likes

Given the rate at which Wasenhaus used to sell in Copenhagen, I’m sure he was happy about you making a dent in his inventory :sweat_smile: And everyone should bring a drunk french restaurateur along now and then

Yes! Lasse is right about the bar, i forgot about it. For anyone else following this thread; Ved Stranden 10 is amazing for a sunny day, Villette, Gaarden og Gaden, Rosforth & Rosforth for grabbing a bottle and sit by the water, and finally Lago. Only complaint i have is that most spots are bad at cellaring vintages, so most cards have very young wines…

Curious about a trip report!

Found my list from last years trips:

Overall Favorites

Kadeau
NOMA
Stjernen Wine Bar (wine bar from No 30)
Torvellallerne Market (Get the fish fry with some Champagne; many, many other options)

Restaurants

Aamanns 1921 (smørrebrød)
Baest (Pizza, I find it highly variable)
Brace Restaurant (Italian)
Esmee
Formel B (great wine program, Lasse Recommendation)
Geranium (Three star)
Goldfinch (Martin Ho Recommendation)
Hija de Sanchez (Tacos by former Noma pastry chef)
Kadeau Copenhagen (our favorite after Noma)
Kadeau Bornholm (one of our favorites in the world)
Kappo Andō (Former Noma Chef)
Kōnā (Japanese, former NOMA Chef)
Kødbyens Fiske Bar
Lumskebugten (Martin Ho Recommendation)
Juju (sister restaurant to Restaurant Koan)
Nr. 30 (small wine oriented spot, similar to Le Verre Vole in Paris; we loved it)
POPL (burger spot from NOMA, restaurant has a different menu than take out) Restaurant Barr (Classic)
Restaurant Iluka (Seafood)
Restaurant Koan (Chef Kristian Baumann, Korean)
Restaurant JATAK (Former NOMA Chef, Japanese - we really liked this)
Restaurant Montergrade (Good wine list)
Restaurant MOTA (One hour from Copenhagen)
Restaurant Palægade (Good wine list)
Restaurant Radio (Nordic Food)
Restaurant Sanchez (Sister restaurant to Hija de Sanchez)

Wine Bars / Casual Restaurants

Admiralgade 26 Atelier Septembre Apollo Bar Apotek 57
April Coffee Store
Bar Vivant
Coffe Collective Darcy’s Kaffe
Den Vandrette Gasoline Grill (Burgers)
Omegn Venner
Pompette
Restaurant Barabba
Restaurant Frank
Rødder and Vin
RUDO (Vermouth Bar upstairs from Baest)
Stjernen (love this spot and it is open until 2:00 a.m.) Torvellallerne Market (Get the fish fry with some Champagne)

Record Stores

CAN (Tell Martin you know me)
Paname City Records

Coffee / Bakery

At the Counter (Coffee and Pastries) Hart Holmen
Juno Bakery

Museums / Architecture

Arne Jacobsen Gas Station and Ice Cream Parlor Finn Juhls House (Close to the Jacobsen Gas Station) Louisana
The Design Museum

1 Like

Great list @Robert_Dentice !
Many insiders tips here.
Then we almost just need the kebab shops and we’ll be complete, haha.

I need to update for my next trip so feel free to add suggestions. Please :slight_smile:

Here is an insider trip if one wants to order some high end bottles I was shocked at what is in the cellar (and not on the list) at Kødbyens Fiske Bar

1 Like

Restaurant Anarki and Bar’Vin if you are looking for good deep wine lists.

To fulfill all your pasta dreams:
Boutique Emilia

But it is hard to get a table. Very few seats and they sell out quickly every two month or so.

Had a great night there with friends not long ago. The wine list is not super interesting, but they allowed us to bring our own wines at a ridiculous low corkage fee when we asked politely. Actually felt bad because the corkage was so cheap, so we bought a lot of stuff to compensate :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Anything you recommend goes on my list!

Adding on THANKS to everyone. We’ll be there in May and have been putting off planning. Not going for the higher end places, but really digging the looks of No30 and Selma for dinners. Maybe Host. And our son who is doing a semester there is insisting on taking us to Folkehuset Absalon for Fællesspisning! (google it!)

1 Like

@bradkaplan

If you are focused on casual definitely do Kødbyens Fiske Bar and if you can strike up a conversation with the somm there is so much wine in the cellar that is not on the list.

3 Likes

I second that, and the food is good.

Robert, any particular area they seemed to be really strong on? Older stuff or just top producers? (I’m looking at their list now - pretty darn impressive!)

The wine list was mostly natural because that is what they are into; however, I saw everything from Coche to Wasenhaus in the cellar. I feel like there is a lot of recent vintage Burgundy stashed away. I do know they are really into the Jura.

1 Like

Looks like they have expanded the actual list. We had an early 90s Emedio Pepe Trebbiano that was stunning.

3 Likes

It is such a cool place. I love the whole idea about it, and been there for different events. I am sure you will enjoy the experience :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

My apologies for taking so long to post. Thank you all for the tips above. Overall, we had a fun and relaxing trip with some great food. We had the Copenhagen pass so that made getting around easy, and we also took time to go see things outside of Copenhagen including the Louisiana Art museum (which was crazy packed for a Tuesday!).

Some highlights:

Restaurant Barr – the fam ended up liking it better than I expected. We ended up getting additional orders including more beef tartare and curry herring while at lunch (plus it was raining anyway). The various Cantillon bottles were a plus. And all schnitzel should be good like that the day we were there. I went back for more drinks one evening, while they went for take away at POPL.

Selma – everything was quite tasty, especially the beet/beef tartare, beet herring and the salmon; even the celeriac was very rich and flavorful (but wish I had a good wine with it). Once again, only so much capacity. First time having snaps, it packed a punch. Beer was just okay.

Nr.30 – fantastic dinner recommendation. Very tight space but the staff were all fantastic and helpful and they treated my wife and son (who got N/A drinks) as they fit in there. And the cod “ceviche” (not sure what to call it) was spectacular and the oysters were so fresh and nicely presented. The wines by the glass were solid and went well with the food, and not too weird. This place was a step up from what I have usually encountered. Wish I could have had time to go for a bottle. Nr. 30 was a big hit for us.

Kødbyens Fiskebar – stellar good oysters, the sea urchin was something I could eat daily (should have got another order). Solid overall, but the bill does add up. Even tried a glass of Solaris, because why not, it is vacation. Once again, wish I had time to get a bottle. Would have loved to sit at the bar and enjoy one with some oysters.

Torvehallerne– Hija de Sanchez, Hav (oysters), beers to go from Mikkeller beer shop (various cans from Track and Verdant); the oysters were pristine, and the tacos are probably better than they have to be (you pay for it though). I walked through randomly one day and the wine/champagne stall was slammed – I guess it wasn’t just me day drinking.

Ved Stranden 10 (wine bar) – relaxed atmosphere, informative staff and some unique wines by the glass. Should have brought my wife here another time. Sadly didn’t make it to Admiralgade 26 for dinner as we planned.

And the bakeries – Juno, BUKA, Hart (Kødbyen), Andersen (Islands Brygge). I typically don’t eat any of this, but my family certainly goes all out. All fantastic, I even had some. JUNO was top notch, so was the coffee. The other three were worth the effort as well. We even bought bread for train rides and to have at our hotel. My wife was also happy to get extra JUNO saffron buns from Prolog coffee (Kødbyen) on our last day.

Lots of other places were solid/good or I just wish I had a chance to try more things. I was able to get out to BRUS, Pompette, Himmeriget while some places appeared to be closed (for the holiday or had varied hours). I tried to make it to Bar’vin one night, but I got sidetracked and we ended up getting cocktails at Balderdash (which was fine, I don’t think I would wait in line outside for it).

2 Likes

Where did you stay in Copenhagen? We’ll be there post cruise this summer.

I usually stay at the Nobis Hotel. I like it and the location is convenient. And they always have Swedish fish in the room!

2 Likes