Contra Costa County AVA Under Consideration

Recently, the TTB received a petition to establish the Contra Costa American Viticultural Area (AVA).

Contra Costa County vineyards and wineries are contained within the larger San Francisco Bay or Central Coast viticultural areas. The Central Coast AVA was created in 1985; San Francisco Bay AVA in 1999. Should the Contra Costa American Viticultural Area be approved, changes to certain labeling rules will take effect.

The application was received for consideration on March 23, 2023. The federal agency is accepting public comments on this matter through May 30, 2023.

Federal Register website
“Proposed Establishment of the Contra Costa Viticultural Area and Modification of the San Francisco Bay and Central Coast Viticultural Areas”
March 29, 2023

Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau
“Establishment of the Contra Costa Viticultural Area and Modification of the San Francisco Bay and Central Coast Viticultural Areas” (PDF download)
March 28, 2023

TTB website
AVA Map Explorer tool:
https://www.ttb.gov/wine/ava-map-explorer

Bureau of Land Management
BLM Central Coast Field Office:

• Interactive Map
    “Field Office Boundaries are marked in blue and different data layers are available in the top right ‘Layer List’. Some characteristics will become visible as the map is zoomed in.”

The petition includes a Google Earth file entitled “Contra Costa County Vineyards: Location of Vineyards in the Contra Costa Viticultural Area”. I hope to secure a copy of this map for the “Contra Costa Wine Heritage” Wine Berserkers thread.

2 Likes

This would actually be “Contra Costa” AVA, not “Contra Costa County”. Wines can already be labeled as Contra Costa County, as is the case with any other county. There’s already the Lamorinda AVA within the county, to the west of the proposed new AVA. Other current commercial vineyards in the county, such as Perfusion Vineyard in the hills above Richmond, look like they would not be included in the proposed AVA.

3 Likes

It’s about time.

1 Like

Maybe I’m missing something - why create an AVA that’s the same name as the county? That seems like it would lead to confusion rather than clarity.

Are there any wineries/tasting rooms in CC? Or just wineries that source from its vineyards?

The following websites list Contra Costa County’s wineries.

The Wine Industry Data (WINDATA) search tool can be used to identify producers operating within a selected county.

Wine Berserkers
“Contra Costa Wine Heritage”
“WINDATA Directory of Contra Costa Wineries”
by Drew Goin
February, 2022

Issuu
Visit Concord
“Contra Costa County Beer & Wine Map(s)”
Mar 31, 2022

Issuu
2022 East County Welcome! Guide
“Farm Trail Map”
by Brentwood Press

The Contra Costa Winegrowers Association’s Wine Tasting Trolley Tour was held about three weeks ago.

Contra Costa News
“Contra Costa Winegrowers Association Announces Wine Tasting Trolley Tour”
February 27, 2023

Contra Costa Winegrowers Association
“Vineyards”

1 Like

Viano is probably the most well know, it’s somewhat apart from where most of the wineries outside the region source from. It’s been in Martinez for a really really ong time and although they have sourced grapes from other places it’s all Contra Costa fruit now I think. Their Zins and Cabs are well made in a restrained and rustic style, everything is really inexpensive. Very low key tasting experience, kind of like what I imagine tasting at the older Italian Sonoma wineries in the 70’s would have been like, small tasting glasses, walnuts and lemons and vinegar for sale.

3 Likes

Fellow Berserker Matt Wood recently interviewed two people behind the drafting of Contra Costa’s TTB petition.

Indie Wine Podcast
IWP Episode #12: “Conta Costa AVA with Becky Bloomfield and Patrick Shabram”
May 5, 2023
39:35 minutes

Bloomfield Vineyards’ Becky Bloomfield of Brentwood is president of the Contra Costa Winegrowers Association.

Patrick Shabram of Geographic Consulting researched and compiled Contra Costa County’s soil and climate data.

Contra Costa Winegrowers Association website:
https://ccwinegrowers.com/

Indie Wine Podcast website:
https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/matt-wood4/

Thanks Drew, It’s a bit of an outlier episode for me but the response has been good. I talk much more in it that I usually do. Also - the episode gained almost 15 minutes today. I heard back from Michael Parker a few hours after the episode went live and he provided me with an interview and a document with some more grape history of the area. I added all that towards the end so if you start listening at about 37:30 you’ll hear the addendum.

1 Like

About time. Only been growing grapes out there for 140+ years.

1 Like

Thanks for the shoutout at the end of your podcast, Matt!

I have always wanted to pick Mike Parker’s brain.

He has many years of hands-on experience, both dealing with area growers and walking the vineyards of eastern Contra Costa.

CalWineBroker website:
https://www.calwinebroker.com/

By the way, do you have an electronic copy of Ron Peck’s “History of Contra Costa County Grape Growing & Wine Making Prior to Prohibition”?

Hey Drew, Yeah you’re welcome, thanks for keeping interest in the area alive.
I thought Michael would be good to talk to, he knows some of the older families in the area and gave an interesting perspective.
That’s the document Michael sent me, I wasn’t aware of it, do you have it? If not give me an email and I’ll send it to you.

Matt

1 Like