Consumption if wine had no alcohol

+1

+2

I can’t tell you how many evenings I’m really enjoying a wine, would like to have another glass while reading, watching TV, etc., but recognize that more alcohol is not a good thing that late in the evening (or for my liver, sleep pattern, calories). If I could get exactly the same experience, but not have to worry about EtOH, I would absolutely drink more.

Yea but at your age, Alan, then you be up 3x that evening emptying your bladder! See, alcohol is a good thing. :wink:

I think a useful corollary to this discussion would be a want for wine to simply have a lower amount of alcohol. If my average bottle consumed was around 5-7% instead of 12-15%, I’d be a happy man. I romanticize the idea of consuming an entire bottle (and thereby follow its evolution during that time) over a few hours, but the alcohol prevents that from happening, without significant negative side effects.

Riesling is your friend, specifically Kabinett.

Interesting thread. I seek out lower ABV wines for most of the things I drink now, as it’s easier on my 'ol body and palate these days. But, I do enjoy the social component of the beverage and also like the thought that I can’t decouple alcohol from what it adds to wine. So, if this is going to work as a premise, then the textural and sensory inputs of alcohol need to be replaced, and if that is not possible logically and in reality, than my answer Approach Zero is how I voted.