Consumption if wine had no alcohol

Now that’s an interesting point

There is no way to get it to ‘taste the same’ or ‘smell the same’ with the alcohol. Alcohol adds body and allows for the aromatics to be as volatile as they are - without it, you would have flavored water that would taste like, well, flavored water . . .

Cheers

Agreed. The theoretical concept here is that you could have everything wine offers except for the alcohol- but I do not think that is remotely possible. Plus there is certainly an additional pleasure factor in even having a single glass of wine. The alcohol is central to the entire process.

This is not a perfect comparison, but my parents started taking my siblings and I to high end restaurants at 4 years of age. We were not only allowed, but encouraged, to try the most exotic foods available. And while we were not allowed to drink, we were allowed to order virgin daiquiris and pina coladas.

To this day, I will very often order a virgin daiquiri at lunchtime or at a dinner where I do not wish to get tipsy- and I still love them, but it is basically fruit juice. A lot of the genius and subtle flavor of a really fine example is almost entirely lost without the alcohol.

Based on your avatar, I’d say you look pretty skeletal. neener

this sounds like some scary IPOB fantasy.

Agree. Like if cake and ice cream had no calories.

I appreciate the points about “it’s not wine if there’s no alcohol”, but this was more a thought experiment than something practical (although I’m surprised that flavor engineers haven’t figure this one out).

I would drink more, although I think the ideal (theoretical) outcome would be having an alcohol-free version of every wine so I could turn to that after a couple of glasses.

And just to add to the conversation:

Newly formed BevZero targets non-alcoholic bulk wine sector

https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2018/12/newly-formed-bevzero-targets-non-alcoholic-bulk-wine-sector/

As of this moment, there are 56 liars on this poll. [cheers.gif]

Feel free to create a separate poll on whether your wine consumption would increase/decrease if it contained THC instead of alcohol.

I am almost at the same place as you, Anton. I find the responses of no change or an increase very surprising, almost incomprehensible. I am tempted to make some facetious comments about denial, delusion and the effects of alcohol on these respondents but I will refrain (see what I did there). I suppose there are some relatively unique circumstances where someone tastes entirely for the sensory related pleasure, but I find it incredulous that such a large portion of the respondents would say that. Another WOW !!!.

if wine didn’t have alcohol, but was otherwise the same, the average quality of my lunches would skyrocket! I frequently think about what wine I’m going to open when I get home for dinner later, and then — when I get home later, help with kids’ dinner, bathe kids, get kids in bed, cook our dinner – I often find it’s too late and/or I’m too worn out to have wine, resulting in no wine consumed that day.

With no alcohol, it may taste the same but the experience would be very different.

Like near-beer, what’s the point?

I no longer drink hard liquor.

But I could see becoming a craft beer aficionado.

Interesting point. Who drinks non alcoholic craft beer? There is no mass market. Would be interesting this same question on a craft beer forum to see results.

NA beer tastes bad. Brewdog’s “Nanny State”, which might have been 0.5%, rather than 0.0%, is the best one I’ve had, and it paled in comparison to normal beers.

Since I only enjoy wines for the taste and the winemaking stories behind them, it would absolutely increase for me. I don’t get a buzz from alcohol, only the hangover downsides thanks to ALDH2 deficiency (aka Asian Glow). I’m sure there are others out there…

Nice to see some lucidity in this thread.

This. And my doctor said if I drink earlier, I’ll sleep better. So, 5pm or never!

I think the question is more appropriately stated as, “If humans metabolized alcohol without intoxication, would your wine consumption change?”

I voted near zero. I think Steve Overy said it very well.

As long as we’re making up magical impossible hypotheticals, here’s my ideal: on a glass by glass basis, be able to remove the alcohol from wine with no effect on taste or smell. Once you’ve reached that perfect level of enjoyment, just add a little packet to that next glass.