Common Winery and Vineyard Names with Various Pronunciations & Mispronunciations !!!

Dana Estate - da-nuh not day-na
Clape - Claw-pe not clay-pe. (Don’t get a bad case of the Clape)

Hard T. People who have visited the estate told me. It’s a local dialect pronunciation.

How else would one pronounce it other than Toh-keye-yee? And by the way, as reflected in your link, the final “y” here is very soft, almost not existent - not a hard “y”.

Correct, the “t” is pronounced. Have been there; and had a long lunch w/ the owner in Manila - he pronounces it as stated.

Yes. I used to go to Bdx fairly regularly; and the people I know, and have met there (many are château owners), pronounce the “s”.

Yes. I used to go to Bdx fairly regularly; and the people I know from there (many are château owners), pronounce the “s”.

Kohs - deh-stuhr-nel (the “s” in Cos is definitely pronounced, I have been there) … LMD is correct!
the “u” in “stuhr” like in “you”

Tokaji:
Toh-kye-y (kye like (good-)bye … with a short added “y” like in y(ou), emphasis on Toh

Cla(h)-pp (the “a” in Cla … like “but” … not like in “bad” - and a sharp “p” … maybe clup is similar

BTW:
Rayas:
Rye-a(h)ss - (the “a” like in “but” - and the “s” is pronounced)

I get that the s in “cos” is pronounced. But is “deh-tor-nell” or “des-tor-nell”? My assumption was that the “est” is pronounced like e in egg…

Tow Kuh Lawn or as they say in Humboldt Toke-a-lawn
Stop laughing

Ceritas
Sar(as in Sarah)-it-toss

Copain
Co-pan

Chambertain
Sham-ber-tan

The latter (i.e., “des-tour-nell” - just like the “s” in Desmirail is pronounced); and, your assumption jives with how I hear it pronounced there.

Meritage is mispronounced by a majority of people I come across. I think it’s easy and maybe ‘cooler’to Frenchify it to Meri-tahj but their website makes it clear it’s Meri-tidge.

Failla = fay-la

I said this wrong for a while (despite it being explained on their site)

My Step-Daughter and Son-in-law are on the mailing list and still pronounce it Fail-ee-uh. [snort.gif]

It’s one of those losing battles. The correct pronunciation rhymes with “heritage,” but say it correctly and some waiter or rando is going to correct you, at which point you’ll probably realize it’s not worth the effort to set them straight and just nod and move on.

We are on our third Samoyed dog. The correct pronunciation is “Sammy-ed,” but if you say that to anyone besides a Samoyed breeder they’ll have no idea what you’re talking about, and once they do they’ll correct you. And you could try to prevail in being right, but who cares, and we end up most of the time just pronouncing it “sa-MOY-ed” like everyone else.

I’d put it “Shum-ber-tan” rather than “Sham” - although neither one is accurate, I think “shum” gets closer to the original whereas your suggestion lends a too Texan feel to the pronunciation.

Gerhard, that is definitely not correct. I’ve spoken to a native Hungarian about this (we actually called them up during an big offline in Boston, when no one else in attendance would agree with my pronunciation lol). Incidentally the area, Tokaj-Hegyalja, and the wine from that area, Tokaji, are pronounced differently, which I think is where a lot of confusion originates (along with the bastardized “Tokay” in England and California). If I understood what you were phonetically spelling, you are using the pronunciation of the region not the wine.

You can clearly hear at the link I provided, 8 different Hungarians pronouncing it all exactly this way. Although I admit my attempt at phonetic spelling may not be the best, you can’t argue with the voice recordings, with the final syllable being what I wrote as “yee”.

I also have two editions of the classic Grossman’s Guide to Wines, Beers, and Spirits, decades apart in age, with the same pronunciation, which is actually where I learned to pronounce this correctly many years ago.