**CLOSED - THANK YOU!** Arabilis | Chardy Party! .... with Pinot Noir cameo! | Willamette Valley | Columbia Gorge | NEWBIE OFFER

Hi WineBerserkers!Arabilis is the Latin word for arable, or farmable land. We are a premium still wine and méthode traditionnelle sparkling wine producer in Oregon with aspirations to become a grower-producer in Oregon. While our first sparkling will not be released until later this year, our still wines are already available and well-rated. We are SUPER excited to participate in BD14 as a NEWBIE and feature offers for our Chardonnay and Pinot Noir wines including up to 20% off, first access/pre-releases, and flat rate shipping with savings of 10%-100%! Please don’t hesitate to reply to this thread with any questions you may have.

Best,
Kenny and Allison

HOW TO ORDER: Click the link next to each offer to complete the purchase. The discounts will apply automatically. Any questions? Reply to the thread, email us at mail@arabiliswines.com, or call at 206-313-9555. We’ll respond as quickly as we can.

Want to help keep us visible in the forum? Reply to this thread with your purchase or comments and you will be entered into a RAFFLE to win a super soft Arabilis branded t-shirt ($30 value). Winner will be announced 1/28 in this thread. Depending on availability of your specific size, t-shirt may ship separately from any wine orders.

We are currently not able to ship to AL, AK, AR, CT, DE, HI, MS, MT, RI, SD

OFFER 1: Chardy Party!

Love Chardonnay? This is the offer for you! You’ll get a mixed pack including three different Chardonnay wines. This includes a 20% discount, early access to our Eola-Amity Hills single vineyard designate, and flat rate shipping (savings of up to 100% depending on the number of bottles purchased).

2021 Pearlstad Vineyard Chardonnay

• 93pts - International Wine Report
  • First access! Not yet released; pre-release price of $42)
  • Grilled lemon, white nectarine, white wildflowers, crushed wet stone, lemony herbs, and a touch of cream. A medium body with mouthwatering acidity and lengthy finish.

2021 Dampier Vineyard Chardonnay

• 92pts - International Wine Report
  • 20% off retail price
  • Freshness and purity, cantaloupe and honeydew flavors, framed by bright acidity and oyster shell salinity.

2020 Columbia Gorge Chardonnay

• 90pts - International Wine Report
  • 20% off retail price
  • Lemon curd, fresh pineapple, tropical fruit, and a touch of brioche, dried apricot, blanched almonds, and a hint of papaya. Medium-high acidity, medium body and a fruit-forward finish.

Offer 1A: 3-Pack, 1 bottle of each ($101 + $20 flat rate shipping) [link to purchase]
Offer 1B: 6-Pack, 2 bottles of each ($202 + $15 flat rate shipping) [link to purchase]
Offer 1C: 12-Pack, 4 bottles of each ($404, includes free shipping) [link to purchase]

OFFER 2: Still Single

This offer focuses on our single vineyard designate Chardonnay wines from 2021. Taste them side-by-side to compare and contrast the differences between the vineyard sites and the winemaking styles chosen to complement. This includes a 20% discount, early access to our Eola-Amity Hills single vineyard designate, and flat rate shipping (savings of up to 100% depending on the number of bottles purchased).

• Ancient marine floor soil on the wind-ward side of the Eola-Amity Hills in the Willamette Valley; 548 and Wente clones; 15% new French oak.

• 20% off retail price
  • High alpine vineyard on volcanic soil on Underwood Mountain on the Washington side of the Columbia Gorge; Wente clone; 40% new French oak.

Offer 2A: 4-Pack, 2 bottles of each ($152 + $20 flat rate shipping) [link to purchase]
Offer 2B: 6-Pack, 3 bottles of each ($228 + $15 flat rate shipping) [link to purchase]

OFFER 3: Pinot Noir Cameo

Feeling like mixing it up? This offer features not only our top-rated Chardonnay wines but also our top-rated Pinot Noir wines. This includes a 20% discount, early access to our Eola-Amity Hills single vineyard designate, and flat rate shipping (savings of up to 100% depending on the number of bottles purchased).

2018 Willamette Valley Pinot Noir

• 91pts - International Wine Report
  • 20% off retail price
  • Ripe dark cherry, sweet baking spice, hoisin sauce, dried sage, and crushed pink peppercorn. Silky medium tannins, medium-plus acidity, and a lengthy finish that brings a nice iron & saline component to the back palate.

2019 Willamette Valley Pinot Noir

• 93pts - Wine Spectator; 92pts - International Wine Report
  • 20% off retail price
  • Red-fruited nose, potpourri, sweet spices, and forest floor aromas. Flavors of ripe red raspberry, cranberry, and blood orange with a just a hint of wet tilled earth. Well-structured with medium-plus acidity and a rounded finish.

• Grilled lemon, white nectarine, white wildflowers, crushed wet stone, lemony herbs, and a touch of cream. A medium body with mouthwatering acidity and lengthy finish.

• 20% off retail price
  • Freshness and purity, cantaloupe and honeydew flavors, framed by bright acidity and oyster shell salinity.

Offer 3A: 4-Pack, 1 bottles of each ($156 + $20 flat rate shipping) [link to purchase]
Offer 3B: 12-Pack, 3 bottles of each ($468, includes free shipping) [link to purchase]

Want to get creative and make your own sampler? Email Allison directly at mail@arabiliswines.com to let us know what you’d like. We’d love to put something together just for you, pricing in the same range as these deals above.

Shipping

We use UPS ground shipping. Orders will go out within 1-2 weeks, weather permitting. We cannot ship to AL, AK, AR, CT, DE, HI, MS, MT, RI, SD. Remember, the more bottles you buy the better the deal you get on shipping :slight_smile:

Wine Details

“Resting in neutral oak for 12 months, then the entire cuvée was blended in stainless steel tanks to age on the fine lees and a light sulphite addition for 6 months before bottling. An expressive nose of lemon curd, fresh pineapple, tropical fruit, and a touch of brioche welcome the senses while the palate dances with flavors of dried apricot, blanched almonds, and a hint of papaya. Medium-high acidity, medium body and a fruit-forward finish complete the wine.” 12.8% abv

Our first single vineyard Old Wente Chardonnay from the Columbia Gorge AVA. Vines were planted in the early 90s on an extinct volcano/cinder cone. “An excellent nose of orange blossom, honeysuckle, fresh white peach, and just a touch of green melon pop from the glass. The palate gifts a lovely fruit-forward quality, with just enough saline and sweet spice characteristics to keep it interesting.” 13.8% abv

Our first single vineyard blending Wente and 548 clones of Chardonnay from the Eola-Amity Hills AVA. Vines are planted on an ancient seashore on a bed of fossilized seashells and sandstone. “Displaying a lovely light to medium lemon core with a watery rim in the glass, the 2021 Pearlstad Chardonnay from Arabilis gifts notes of grilled lemon, white nectarine, white wildflowers, crushed wet stone, lemony herbs, and a touch of cream. A medium body merges with mouthwatering acidity to create a subtle and delicious wine that delivers a finish that goes on for minutes.” 13.9% abv

2018 Willamette Valley Pinot Noir
“All neutral oak barrels and resting for 17 months, with fruit coming from Eola-Amity Hills, this fruit and spice-driven Pinot Noir has notes of ripe dark cherry, sweet baking spice, hoisin sauce, dried sage, and crushed pink peppercorn. The wine displays silky medium tannins, medium-plus acidity, and a lengthy finish that brings a nice iron & saline component to the back palate.” 13.6% abv

2019 Willamette Valley Pinot Noir
This wine shows the elegance and prettiness of 2019. “Resting in French oak barrels for 17 months with 7% being new, this yummy Pinot Noir delivers a gorgeous, reductive, red-fruited nose with additional aromas of potpourri, sweet spices, and forest floor. The palate provides flavors of ripe red raspberry, cranberry, and blood orange with a just a hint of wet tilled earth. Tannins are well-structured with medium-plus acidity and a rounded finish.” 13.0% abv

Our Story

I met my wife, Allison, in 2012 in graduate school – funny, she was my tour guide. She was a semester ahead of me at Washington State University studying red wine finish in WA Syrah and I was studying sparkling winemaking and the impact of sugar in tirage and dosage of méthode traditionnelle sparkling wines. Arabilis Wines launched in 2020 with a couple sparkling base wines, a rose (sold out Summer ‘21), a Chardonnay, and a couple of Pinot noirs. Now, we’re just over 1000 cases of wine. This is a scale that we can micromanage and focus on all the details (like being onsite for the 2:30 am morning picks or patiently guiding the fermentations), while at the same time, keeping our full-time day jobs and consulting clients happy. We are so lucky to be working together with a lot of great people in the vineyard and the cellar too! Our wines have mainly been sold to directly to consumers through our website or at pop up events. It’s been a lot of learning by doing and we couldn’t be more excited about the journey to this point and the journey yet ahead of us. Thank you so much for your orders and your support!

Read more about us on The Wine Write.
Coming this summer: Interview with the Oregon Wine Archive.

1 Like

I was lucky enough to be selected as a taster of Arabilis Wines, which was founded by the husband and wife team of Kenny and Allison McMahon. They generously offered to lead a Zoom tasting of 3 of their Chardonnays and I am pleased to report that they are gorgeous with loads of potential.

The first wine of the line-up was the 2020 Columbia Gorge Chardonnay (12.8%abv). Despite the appellation designation on the label, this mostly fruit from Dampier Vineyard. For such a young wine this was drinking brilliantly. Aromas of Meyer lemon, pineapple and a hint of nectarine. The palate followed the nose with the addition of some notes of oyster shell and muskmelon. This had a wonderful texture (my contemporaneous notes read “GREAT mouthfeel”). The wine was nicely balanced, medium-bodied with medium+ acidity. Lightly rounded, this offers a nice contrast of textures that made for easy and delicious drinking. This would appeal to winos and more casual drinkers alike; a genuine crowd pleaser.

Technical notes: From Wente and Dijon 95 clones grown in volcanic soils. Native fermentation. Saw 12 months of neutral oak followed by 6 months in stainless.

The next wine that we tasted was the 2021 Pearlstad Vineyard Chardonnay, Eola-Amity Hills AVA (13.9%abv). The nose initially showed some reductive notes/matchstick that dissipated with vigorous swirling, allowing the lemon oil aromas to come through along with freshly ground almond. While the first wine had showed some generosity on the palate, this wine was primarily about potential and drank a bit like BdB Champagne, with nervy acidity being the most prominent characteristic on the palate with the lemon oil/lemon curd flavors, minerality, and the barest whisper of oak playing supporting roles. Precise on the palate with an exceptionally long finish. Showing gobs of potential, this strikes me as a wine that will be even more delicious with some bottle age. My hunch is that it will be great in 3 years and even better in 7.

Technical notes: From clones Wente and 548. Saw 15% new French oak (Allier barrels). The vineyard was planted in 2017 and had controlled yields.

The final wine of the evening was the 2021 Dampier Vineyard Chardonnay, Columbia Gorge AVA (13.8%abv). This wine was cool as all get out. Yellow orchard fruit and light spice comes through on the nose and the palate, but what struck me most was the subtle flavors of honeydew which laced the wine. It provided a bit of a cooling sensation, not unlike finding eucalyptus in Cabernet Sauvignon, except that this was definitely honeydew. Additionally, there’s a savory undercurrent of salinity, which adds interest. Quite lovely, this struck me as somewhat of a midpoint between the two previous wines; more ready than the Pearlstad, but not quite as generous as the 2020 Columbia Gorge. Ageable and delicious, better to approach in 18-24 months but will continue to improve well after.

Technical notes: 40% new oak (I am oak averse and it did not taste “oaky”) using barrels of different sizes. 100% Wente clone.

Overall, I was impressed that a young winemaker was capable of producing such high-quality wines. Kenny clearly takes his craft seriously. The 2020 is flat out delicious now, while the 2021 SVDs will appeal to those who like more structure in their wines, though patience should be generously rewarded.

Finally, Kenny and Allison were incredibly patient as I peppered them with questions about their winemaking decisions, weather, etc. Lovely people, lovely wines. It’s hard to go wrong. Count me as a fan, I look forward to buying more of these wines. You should be buying too. :blush:

4 Likes

Thank you @Corey_N for such a detailed review!! We are honored by such high praise. We had a great time getting to show you and sharing our wines with you. Looking forward to staying in touch!

2 Likes

The anticipation of a wine delivery is always great. Those butterflies of waiting to open the package and Pobega a wine never gets old. When it is a wine you’ve never tasted, know very little about and are being asked to provide tasting notes it is ratcheted up! Especially for someone, like myself, who might be accused of having the palate somewhere between a bison, a Flannery steer and a yak!

The Arabilis wines arrived after a quick trip from Oregon and upon opening the box I found the labeling to be beautiful and easy to read. Quickly can identity, varietal, AVA, vineyard source, vintage and alcohol level. Very well done! I tasted three of their Chardonnays as part of the Newbie program.

As you’ve read above Arabilis is owned by Kenny & Allison McMahon. They were kind enough to reach out upon shipping and set up a virtual tasting to allow me to learn more about them and their wines. All newbies should take note as this was a fantastic opportunity and really fun!

At their suggestion I chilled the 2021 Chardonnays and served the 2020 at room temperature. We also grazed on some Comté and sheep’s milk cheeses and light crackers while we tasted.

I was joined at the tasting by a local friend who has been kind enough to introduce me to many Oregon wines (and I was happy to return the favor) as well as my wife. We tasted the wines from various glasses, Riedel Vinum Chardonnay, Riedel Vinum Burgundy, Grassl Liberte, Grassl Cru and Grassl’s tasting glass (I believe now called Versatile).

A Few Facts:

• 12.8% Alcohol
  • This wine comes from high elevation alpine forest areas in around Hood River & White Salmon (Flume & Dampier Vineyards I believe)
  • Old Wente (75%) & Dijon 95 (25%)
  • Whole Cluster with native fermentation in barrel
  • Full malolactic conversion the following spring
  • Neutral French Oak for 12 months and blended in stainless steel on the lees for 6 months prior to bottling in spring of 2022

Tasting Notes:

• Color is very light and bright
  • Nose was slightly muted but as the wine warmed up it began to open up into a fruit bouquet with some light brioche
  • On tasting I immediately felt a zip of acidity in the palate
  • Lemon and citrus notes without much sweetness for me
  • Others at the tasting experienced less zip and more sweetness, primarily a strong coconut cream pie note
  • I moved this to a Cru glass later in the evening and found it to have softened, while still energetic I picked up on peaches and nectarines
  • If you like zippy, electric whites this is for you

2021 Dampier Vineyard (Columbia Gorge) Chardonnay
A Few Facts:

• 13.8% Alcohol
  • This wine is from the Dampier Vineyard which located in the eastern Cascade foothills and picked the second week of October
  • 100% Wente
  • 100% Whole Cluster and barrel fermentation
  • Full malolactic conversion the following spring
  • Mixture of new and neutral barrels as well as a puncheon
  • Lightly fined prior to bottling with some sulfur added and a filtering at bottling

Tasting Notes:

• Color is a little more golden than the 2020
  • Nose has notes of pear and melons with a little bit of apricot
  • Acidity less than 2020 but the wine still has that crisp, racy zip to it
  • Palate has some quartz or flint minerality along with notes of lemon and honeysuckle
  • Tasting note remained generally the same in the various glasses
  • Very refreshing and highly quaffable

2021 Pearlstad Vineyard (Eola Amity Hills) Chardonnay
A Few Facts:

• 13.9% Alcohol
  • This wine is from the Pearlstad Vineyard , a relatively new site located in the Eola Amity Hills AVA planted to 88% Chardonnay and 12% Pinot Noir. The blocks Arabilis sources are on a mix of ancient marine sea floor, fossilized seashells and sandy shoal.
  • 100% Whole Cluster and barrel fermentation
  • Full malolactic conversion in late spring 2022
  • Mix of new and neutral French oak
  • Lightly fined prior to bottling with some sulfur added and a filtering at bottling

Tasting Notes:

• The most golden color of the three wines tasted
  • Slightly reductive / matchstick on the nose
  • Palate is softer with less acidity (but still medium to medium+ acidity) than the Columbia Gorge wines
  • Minerality still shines thru but is more subtle than the Gorge wines
  • Palate is peaches and apricots - classic stone fruits
  • Longer finish than the other three wines
  • Very nice wine and my personal favorite of the three
  • Curious to see how this wine ages.

Kenny and Allison were awesome to visit with. We had a great time listening to their journey into winemaking and the road they see ahead. My only disappointment was not being able to taste their upcoming sparkling wine. Based on the Coteaux style wines we tasted I expect the sparkling wine to be very good and can’t wait to taste it!

It is going to be very fun to see their journey as winemakers!

4 Likes

Thank you @JDavisRoby!! We appreciate the time you took to taste through our wines and we are super excited and honored by the things you had to say about them. Looking forward to sharing our sparklers with you!! The wait is almost over :smile:

Kenny - I wish you a wonderful Berserker Day. I have always enjoyed your wines. Wonderful structure, the notes are lovely and simply a joy.

1 Like

Who doesn’t love a Chardy Party?!?!?

Get in on these minerally, fresh, delicious wines from the genius food scientist team of Kenny and Allison at Arabilis, Berserkers!!!

2 Likes

Thank you @Erica_O_r_r !

Happy to get some Chard’s for the beach this summer :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Glad these wines were offered. Heard good things through reviewers I like. Always looking for something new

1 Like

will get some wine… but kudos to you to snagging your tour guide as your wife…!!
Baller first year grad school move.

2 Likes

Thank you @D_ulbricht!

We tasted with Kenny last summer and really enjoyed all of the wines we tried (and purchased)!

1 Like

@Shawn_Morrison thank you for your order! Chards on the beach = perfect pairing! Looking forward to hearing how you like the wines.

@jjarosz thanks for your order and the support! Looking forward to hearing how you like our single vineyard Chards!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Thanks for the props @NestorJohnSalazar!! I feel like I made quite the catch! Thanks in advance for the purchase. Looking forward to sharing our wines with you!

@DIANAD it was a pleasure to taste with you while you were in town! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on these new wines!

Taking the plunge with your 2A Chard 4pack. Looking forward to tasting your wines.

RT

1 Like

Excited for the Pinot Noir Cameo! Cheers to Arabilis wine and Go Cougs!

1 Like