Choosing an expensive wine for a special occasion

I almost never shop in this way - my splurge spends have been for future enjoyment of heralded wines with best-possible provenance, so I generally can dip from the cellar for something special needed for an occasion. Assuming I did not have anything that fit the theme, then I’d survey the literature for the short list of candidates and favor my local market over a shipping-needed acquisition to fill the spot. The literature I’d survey would be a) whatever establishes which wines are a candidate (think books that establish the most celebrated wines of the genre) b) the community that gives a view of how those wines are performing right now - that’s here and CellarTracker, mainly.

Cheers,
fred

This! A good wine merchant will learn your palate and over time can hone their recommendations to hit the mark.

The question was about an expensive bottle of wine. The wine eventually chosen was a 1983 Margaux. What should I have named - a wine from a new winery in Napa without any track record.

I recently bought two bottles for a special occasion, the goal was to drink “epiphany bottles” since this was a splurge… I set myself a rough budget limit per bottle and then decided on the region: Piedmont and Champagne, because we love those wines and I had the experience I’m looking fo r(or close to it) already with wines from Bordeaux, Northern Rhone, and Chablis. Burgundy is, unfortunately, out of reach (plus the risk is too high IMHO).

To decide on specific bottles, I used both the winemakers reputation over the years, CT notes from people I trust, Vinous notes, and people mentioning them here.

Settled on Giacosa Asili Riserva 96 and Salon 96.

Lol, I’m not trying to rile you up or start a fight. I liked the Ridge and MG Ech suggestions. They’re undoubtedly expensive but not outrageous for a special occasion, and are on point with your game plan of finding good producers and then finding a favorite or exciting vintage. I just found humor in the idea of feeling comfortable or secure in the many thousand dollars per bottle wines you suggested, which are legitimate legends. Given their price point, which exceed $2,500 a pop, some by a lot, why not add 1961 La Chapelle, 1945 Mouton, 1955 Biondi Santi Brunello, 1962 DRC La Tache, 1966 Dom Perignon, or really any vintage of Krug Clos d’Ambonnay if champagne is in play and extraordinarily expensive and reliable are the focuses.

Why not? But apart from the Latour, the rest on his list are well below $2500, and even with the Latour, it would average out at well below $2500. Your list I am afraid is a little more crazy, and some of the wines are impossible to find.

I put together such a tasting for a group where money was no object, but the wines had to be in top condition. I could not find 1962 La Tache in good shape, and the La Chapelle may have cost £10k, but apparently was in good shape. Sadly I could not attend.

I think Howard’s list is relatively modest. [berserker.gif]

I’ve found this thread interesting. Anyone who pays attention to what people post on this forum knows that Mark is deeply knowledgeable on all things wine, and has had the fortune of drinking well. Knowing that, and based on the question asked, I figured he was engaging in a bit of a thought experiment. In that regard I appreciate that he kept this general.

I would consider the setting (the food, people, logistics of getting the wine there, food, appropriate price range etc.) and then compare what was available that fit my criteria at trustworthy sources to CT and Berserker notes.

This was a hypothetical and I was advocating an approach, not specific wines I am planning to go out and buy. Given how long I have been collecting wines, in real life I would pull a bottle out of my cellar, not buy one, and I am sure Mark would do the same. It was hard coming up with vintages for some of the producers I listed because I have had most or all of the more recent vintages of the wines (and so was not allowed by Mark to pick those). For example, I have had most vintages of Truchot Clos de la Roche dating back to 1988, so I had to go back further. I probably have had at least 2/3s of the vintages of Montebello since 1984 or so. So, I picked vintages I would love to taste.

The current auction price for '66 DP is about $600, so it doesn’t fit on your list.

For the folks who would alter their approach depending on the situation, Mark’s question was too general to answer without some “If … then” statements. The point was, the situation does matter.

Sure, very good point Brian.

Sorry guys, still don’t agree.

I was interested in who or where you would go for information when you were making a significant purchase and that probably does not change with the purpose of the bottle.

You would adjust the criteria according to the circumstances, but you would probably look to the same source for advice. So if you trust Berserker or Cellar Tracker or Parker, there may be different wines for different occasions, but why would change where you get your information. Hence the very general question.

Oh dang, you got me. Just a typo omission though, as I obviously meant the P3.