Choosing an expensive wine for a special occasion

I am trying to make this general rather than specific. But for those interested he is going with a 1983 Margaux, and when he mentioned to the host, he volunteered a 1982 to pair it against.

This is the game theory optimal play! Pick a major wine in a “bad” year that is classic year adjacent, which (subconsciously, natch!) coaxes the host to offer the legendary vintage as a side-by-side! [winner.gif] [berserker.gif]

For Margaux (and Palmer as well), 1983 is the more legendary year compared to 1982.

Mark, I take into account my wine preferences and do a little research on vintages. Then I look at a conglomeration of notes on a specific wine from various critics, and take into account the critic and the notes. Then I make my purchase and, usually, it’s fairly on point.

Always a great pairing, and the last time I had them side by side, I (and) the group preferred the 1983, but it was close.

I would probably do some general browsing online of vintages/reviews/blogs/IG to narrow down to a short list of possibilities. Then I would ask other wine geeks their thoughts. Depending on what region - I would seek out different people who are known to have collections in that area. Or seek out someone on Berserkers for their advice regarding the short list.

I don’t doubt you’re right when it comes to '82 vs. '83 margaux, but nonetheless, a quick consult of WineSearcher confirms the joke works :wink:

More seriously, if I am going to splurge, I tend to look for something adjacent to things I know I like (i.e., if I know I like 2000 Montrose, maybe I would splurge on a 2000 Latour), and, in a perfect world, have a friend/somm I know/CT user I trust (in that order) vouch for a recent example.

Well, it does (or could) matter.

My initial response to your post was, “What’s the special occasion?” If it’s celebrating someone’s birthday, then my first line of inquiry will be whether a birth-year wine makes sense. Then, my second inquiry would what kind of wine(s) do they prefer? If the “special occasion” is a wedding, then I’d probably opt for a Champagne. If the special occasion is a successful business deal, then … well, you get my point.

Now, seeing that the “special occasion” is a “major BYO,” then I wonder: are there parameters re: price; age; region; etc. etc. etc… Also, at a “major BYO,” I would feel less hesitant to bring a “geeky wine” than I would be if the occasion was a celebration of my grandmother’s 90th birthday with a bunch of non-wine geeks.

… and, although Alan’s comments were, as usual, not artfully crafted, they are, imo, valid.

No it doesn’t matter; as I said, it is a general question as to what other people would do. I obviously know how I would respond, but until you posted, I did not know how you or others would.

I am a little late answering, but I think there are a lot of different good reasons for a selection, and then it would be whatever scratches my itch or curiosity at the time. Maybe something I knew the host would be really interested in. Maybe something I have been thinking about for a while and it time to say what the hell. Maybe something jut to be totally different. Or maybe there is a theme that I want to be consistent with. I often plan well in advance for OL’s or other tastings and change my mind on the day of.

Sorry, not my intent. The work expensive just indicates to me that it is about appearances and not just the best wine. Obviously that’s not the case,

For me, it would be an “all of the above” strategy. I’d consider critics, CT, WB, recommendations from friends, experience with brands, what I know of the history of the wines, vintage generalizations, etc.

I don’t do that for most purchases, but if I were going to splurge to get one great bottle for an occasion, particular tasting, gift or whatever, I try to take in as much information and opinion as I can.

General answer: some combination of notes from trusted palates on CT, here, and BWE, a familiar producer, a familiar region and vintage. No particular hierarchy.

Specific goofy answer: a magnum of 2007 Usseglio Mon Aie… can’t spell that, so make it a mag of 2007 Janasse VV. [tease.gif]

Thanks, Alan, apology accepted. Go out and sin no more.

CellarTracker, right here, and critics but I don’t pay a lot of attention to those anymore. I would lean towards a producer I know and trust as much as much as anything.

JD

Which specific wine I decide to buy will vary greatly with the situation as in KJJ’s example: big tasting with wine friends = understanding their historic preferences (which for me often means Bordeaux or BDX blends). Special meal like a birthday or holiday - what are we eating and with whom? Iconic Burgundy will be totally lost on my family… Birthday celebration - what if any region excelled in the birth year and how soon can I get a bottle?

How I gather information to make the decision is a combination of factors. I’m at a phase in my wine journey where I still haven’t tasted all of the classic, benchmark wines. Or, if I have had a wine from a great producer, it may be from a lesser appellation, weaker year, not fully mature, etc. Therefore, I am likely to seek out producers/bottlings/vintages that are consistently recognized as benchmarks by many sources: Wine Spectator (despite their scores routinely not aligning with my palate) comes to mind. I’ll ask the buyer at my favorite store who I trust greatly. I’ve read old threads on a region or posted here soliciting advice many times (ex: Completed: Classic French Wines <$100 | Dinner Budget Help - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers ). Vatan would be a good example of a wine I learned about in this context, but represents a splurge. I’ve researched a great many producers that I’ve come across on CT or Winebid as well. (What the hell is this “Overnoy” stuff and why is it $300?"). If a critic (AG, JD, LPB, JS) rates a wine 98+ and it’s well priced, I’ll seek it out, but I rarely if ever use their ratings to decide between bottles.

Finally, I often end up using wine-searcher.com against CT to assess the cost/value of the wine. I’m more likely to choose the wine that is relatively underpriced if I think I’m getting a good deal, even on a splurge.

This. I would pick a producer I like and a vintage I like and feel like I am doing pretty well. For example, wines I have not had that I would feels secure about might include:

Mugneret-Gibourg Echezeaux 1993
Truchot Clos de la Roche 1978
Latour 1961
Ridge Montebello 1978
Haut Brion 1989

These and a whole host of others would seem pretty safe to me.

You forgot the sarcasm font.

Yeah, just pick some legendary wines and they should perform alright.

It’s amazing how often my thought process around this type of question takes me to Bollinger VVF and Rayas. Followed by 1983 D’Yquem, Salon, MV Unico, Grange, '78 La Chapelle and '70-80’s Diamond Creek.