Chicken Legs in Poblano Chile Broth with Red Burgundy

We had planned to eat dinner out at our patio table, but as we were finishing the appetizers, it began to sprinkle, progressively harder. So we took the the table settings inside and set the dining table. The whole chicken legs were seasoned on both sides with granulated garlic, browned in Blood Orange Olive Oil, after turning the skin side was seasoned with garlic pepper, Fines Herbes, and thyme. The chopped Poblanos were added at this time along with some dry vermouth. The legs were braised in the broth until done (while we were enjoying our appetizers). The legs were plated, the broth was reduced a little; and poured over the legs with the chiles. The legs + thighs were very rich in flavor, the chiles were only slightly hot; so the dish was enjoyed with a 1999 Jos. Drouhin Beaune Clos des Mouches Rouge - fill less than a half cm below the capsule, cork barely colored; dark ruby in color; big, rich nose and flavors of dark and red cherries; mid-palate with adequate acidity, rich dark fruit, and resolved tannins, with a long rich dark cherry finish. It was not hampered at all by the spice in the poblanos and was very good with the richness of the chicken.

Is Blood Orange OO something you make yourself or purchase?

I get O brand fruit-infused olive oils either at Kaune’s here in Santa Fe or from jeff Pfohl at Gourmet Delights. The fruit is crushed at the same time as the olives.

I haven’t cooked with infused oil before. Do you find it adds significantly to the finished dish? Do you use a number of them?

I use Meyer Lemon, Tahitian Lime, and Blood Orange olive oils. It adds a delicate fruit flavor to the dish I’m cooking.

I’ve only used the Tahitian Lime oil while making your crab stuffed avocado salad. I’ll have to try some of the others as well. Thanks for mentioning them.

David

Per your inquisitive thread about being ignored… A few thoughts that will shed some light on why I usually keep my thoughts to myself. But you’re a grown man and can take a hit of honest opinion now and then, not to criticize, but to explain how my tastes and preferences differ from your own.

I use fresh garlic. I blend my own spices as needed, except curry powder and 5-spice. Honestly, I hate the way granulated and powdered garlic tastes rancid so soon after opening.

I use fresh herbs from the garden, mostly, no Fines Herbes. My dried herbs are ones I cannot grow, like tarragon and dill. They don’t last, so I rarely use them.

I don’t need flavored oils. I add whatever aromatics I need when cooking. Citrus zest adds whatever I want without the need to have flavored oils go rancid in the pantry.

It has been many years since I had Vermouth in the fridge for cooking. I use good table wine and add the aromatics I desire. It gives a purer range of flavors.

I would never chose Red Burg with Poblanos, even though I know that Burgundy is supposed to go with everything. If I wanted to drink Burg, I’d make a different dish. If I wanted chicken with Poblano, I’d drink rose.

That’s just me. Were I invited over for dinner, I wouldn’t be fussy, and I’m sure it would all be good. But I would do things differently in my own house.