Chicago Michelin Guide coming soon

I don’t hink they are related. Remember this list is for places offering great value. It could very well be that these places get no stars. I would think it’s very unlikely that spring scores at all. Recently under new ownership I hear and new chef.

Yea, you right- just trying to read the tea leaves.There are several thai places that are missing on this list and the absence of Hot Doug’s is curious. I still think we have a outside shot at having the most 2* in the US [cheers.gif]

Spring is closing on New Years Eve

Interesting- that was quite the hot ticket( what 8 years ago?). We had a great meal there a long long time ago…

http://chicagoist.com/2010/11/11/10with_podcast_how_about_those_bib.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More talk for the food geeks…

Jean Luc Naret is filiming and NBC news show on the morning of the release from Alinea’s dining room.

Looks like 3 stars for Grant!

George

Perhaps it will be the the first place to get **** [rofl.gif]

I guess there are several parties going on throughout the city.

The wait might be over.

Chicago's Best Dining, Drinking, Cuisine & Cocktails | 312 Dining Diva: Chicago Michelin Stars 'Leaked' By Mistake?!" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting. Thanks for that, Wilfred

If that is true can’t believe Ria and Avenues get 2. Stupid…

George

I kind of smell BS but the list is pretty damn close if this is it.

Alinea
L20

Avenues
Charlie Trotters
Ria

Blackbird
Boka
Bonsoiree
Crofton on Wells
Everest
Graham Elliot
Longman & Eagle
Naha
NoMI
Schwa
Seasons
Sepia
Sixteen
Spiaggia
Takashi
Topolobampo
Tru
Vie

Initial thoughts are that Tru and Everest are mad pissed. Longman and Eagle,Tru,and Schwa in the same Tier is just strange to me for some reason. That being said, if this is in fact the list, I’m happy for Schwa although they should get ** and I’m also happy for Bonsoiree but they’re not as good as Schwa not even close. Longman and Eagle mad props as well. Logan Square representin… Ria seems like a surprise over some of the others…

I know alot of people really like Ria so maybe not so suprising. For me, Tru only getting one star is the suprise. We’ll see but I thought it was a darkhorse for three stars.

Moving up the " official" announcement to today. Looks like the horse has left the barn. [wow.gif] .

Off the top of my head the big losers would be Tru, North Pond, One Sixty Blu, and Avec… Tru getting on star and no soup for the others.

I am very perplexed by these ratings. It was nice to see some friends get some well deserved recognition. It was also sad to see some friends inappropriately excluded. It was also strange to see some restaurants, while certain bib gourmand candidates, get stars… in Europe, the ratings makes sense, in the US, very confusing and this hold true for NY and SF as well…

Then again, anything that helps the restaurant biz is a good thing in my book.

My comments:

Alinea - Totally well deserved. You don’t have to like the food or the what they are doing, but there is no question that it is serious and deserving. My friend DB is one of the chefs and will be heading up Next, so I am quite pleased for him
L20 - coincidentally had a meal there on Monday. Impeccable service, beautiful decor and very good food. A bit precious, but very good. Rivals any European 2 star, the 3rd while slightly generous, likely recognizes the potential of this place.

Avenues - Need to go, but from what I hear, well deserved.
Charlie Trotters - while a bit tired on decor, they having been knocking out quality and innovation for decades.
Ria - Need to go

Blackbird - no brainer
Boka - no brainer
Bonsoiree - have not been in years, but the food certainly deserves it, if I recall, the decor is downscale. I remember the food being more impressive than the ambiance.
Crofton on Wells - it has been years since I have been there, but no surprise given the longevity.
Everest - didn’t know it was still open. Haven’t been in years. Too old school for me (unless it has changed)
Graham Elliot - well earned.
Longman & Eagle - a bit surprised. Great food, clear Bib Gourmand, but how one star when Avec and The Bristol are not?
NAHA - Carrie and Michael have been knocking out high quality food for a decade plus. Well deserved.
NoMI - No surprise
Schwa - No surprise. but I would love to have seen the reviewer experience this place for the first time. Definite trip.
Seasons - No surprise
Sepia - Beautiful room, inventive food, need to get back there soon
Sixteen - no surprise
Spaiggia - no surprise
Takashi - I have had mixed meals here, but the place is very nice, and the food is lovely. Some dishes border on amazing.
Topolobombo - No a fan, but certainly deserved
Tru - very surprised that it only received one.
Vie - very easy to understand, and I am sure an argument can be made that it should have received two…

Read more: http://www3.timeoutny.com/chicago/blog/out-and-about/2010/11/michelin-chicago-results/#ixzz15ShYt2sZ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

+1- i WOULD call this a decent rough- rough draft. I know many find North Pond overrated but they deserve one Star for their brunch alone. Avec, Carlos’, Les Nomades, One SixtyBlue, and several more should be on.

Now that your Michelin mania is over, I think it’s fun to talk about but that these ratings mean very little. If one believes the scuttle-butt re. the other domestic guides the results don’t largely affect most of the places and in general Americans forget a lot of the ratings. At least for the one star places. Yes it’s significant for the 3*, and to a lesser extent the 2*. L20 might have a jump (perhaps tempered as the chef is gone?), but does much change for Alinea. It’s hard to believe that it could get any more in demand or any more expensive.

I really don’t like the domestic system, especially as the bibb confusion gets thrown in. Obviously if one were to convert this to a 100-pt scale as we do with wine, there would be a point cut-off between levels. Perhaps Avenues warrants a 93, and Tru a 92, yet the line got drawn between them. We’d never know. Though I think from the way they wrote the other US guides, that there probably weren’t going to be more than five 2*

I only had one recent meal at Avenues. (curious when George had his bad one) To me it was a sure 1* and as great a shot at 2* as anyone. Well perhaps I would have said the same for Tru. Anyhow Avenues is right up the Michelin alley. Relatively formal setting and service. Ingredient driven food with the mol. gastro. tilt that they love. For my part I’ll regret the 2* for Avenues as I’m sure the price for the tasting menu (whaich was very reasonable) just went up. One thing that is impressive about Avenues is what they turn out with a very small kitchen crew of Duffy, and about four others.

Deserved or not, there was no way that Top, or moreso Arun’s, were going to get 2*. IMO Michelin doesn’t favor that type of experience.

Scott- any glaring omissions?

Also- would love to hear more about NEXT. [cheers.gif]

Of the ones I’ve been too…

Alinea and L20 I can buy into the 3 stars.

Haven’t been to Ria but now I guess I need to go. I haven’t been to Avenues in quite some time so I’ll reserve judgment. I was at Trotter’s in July and if it was two stars it was just barely there.

Blackbird, Boka, Crofton, Everest, GE Naha, NoMI, Seaons (been quite some time, Sepia and Topo I can live with at the three. I am very surprised that Tru and Spiaggia didn’t get two given that I think they are both as good as Trotters & my previous visits to Avenues. I think they are a notch better than a lot of the other one stars.

I’m really surprised that Les Nomades didn’t get any props. My one visit to Takashi (over a year ago) was very mediocre. I probably need to get back.

JD

I haven’t been to the new incarnation of 160 Blue yet, but I have heard great things. Same for Martial Nougier’s Cafe des Architechts. In the “gastopub” “wine bar” type restaurant I was surprised to see Longman and Eagle get a star while Avec and The Bristol did not.

I have not been to Arun’s, Les Nomades and Carlos in years, but I cannot see them excluded while other’s of similar or lesser quality have been included.

I think mid-high fine dining places such as Nomi, Naha, Blackbird, etc define the 1-star rating for me as compared to the 2 and 3 stars. So my observation is more that “if this place is a 1 star” so should “this” place. I like the bib gourmand designation. I just don’t think it is well understood.

Moto is an oversight. Period.

I think a good case could be made for the experience at Piccolo Sogno. Same for Perennial.

I am sure there are more, but I have been gone from Chicago since mid-august and I feel out of it with respect to restaurants.

http://nextrestaurant.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;