Chicago/Illinois Corkage Law

I’m aware. I was the first response to the OP’s question. I was responding to the general thread drift points. I also didn’t know why you’d presume that I would know that you own a restaurant in IL.

To my knowledge, you can’t put the unsealed-resealed bottle in the car and then drive that car in IL, other than this one provision. Still not legal advice.

You can’t carry in the passenger area under IL law. Trunk should be fine and back of an SUV as well. But don’t be a test case unless you, like me, are willing to take the risk with a recorded bottle

I always carry opened bottles, with stoppers, to restaurants in Chicago and suburbs. Never had an issue with any restaurant at all. Sure, you should call Oriole, but I would be really surprised if they had an issue.

As to driving with the open and now stoppered bottles in the car, sure, it’s technically illegal. Just don’t do something to get pulled over. With all the other crime in Chicago, the LEOs aren’t worrying about you having an open bottle of wines worth hundreds of dollars.

Best legal advice ever.

Is that the place where they play musical chairs with your wine? Someone told me about a place there, I think this one, where they do a sort of forced sharing.

To the OP : def speak to the restaurant. From our one experience there service is outstanding and they are very wine sensitive. I’m sure they’d help you work something out. I’d agree that in general the restaurant’s rules are at least as important as the regulations. At least the entrance is in a shady back alley so any contraband won’t be in plain view. Pretty sure no CCTV :scream:

I have dbl decanted every wine (young, old, very old) that I’ve ever brought to a restaurant with no issues – younger wines for air and old wines for sediment. Traveling with old wines can make the wine sediment-laden and nearly undrinkable, and a quick dbl decant solves that. I learned a long time ago to uncork wines myself at home because most waitstaff here have no idea how to coax an old cork out of a bottle – they’ll just slip a waiters corkscrew in it and pull through the crumbly thing. Then what?

I also keep my opened wine in a zippered case. If a cop ever asks me too open it in connection with a traffic stop, I’ll tell him/her to pound sand

And that is the proper answer in many instances. “Officer, ever heard of a thing called probable cause?”

Me, I do not like over-aerating old wines, and double decanting adds a lot of air. I think you lose more than you gain with the addition of all that oxygen. As for the then what, for bottles over 20 years of age, I bring a Durand and I pull the cork.

‘89 Lynch-Bages? P&P at the restaurant. Otherwise you’re wasting a great bottle.

I realize this may borderline heresy around here but, when sediment is the issue, I generally use the filter that comes in this package.

It may not be sexy, but with a 30+ year old wine, I’d do it at the restaurant into their decanter too. That way you don’t need to double decant and you don’t have to worry excessively about the bottle shaking along the way.

Of course, that doesn’t account for the possibility of it being corked.

Easy - Coravin it to taste and leave the capsule on. No restaurant will know or care.

Cicciomio…….anyone know their corkage policy?