Chicago/Illinois Corkage Law

Yeah, Boka’s next door to Alinea…i think they share a valet stand. Single Michelin star…decent list…I think corkage fee is $25. I usually find if I buy a bottle and am not an ass, they often waive the fee.

I’m a bad rememberer!

Just don’t forget how to make wine

Ruxbin!

For the win!!!

Loved that place. It’s been closed for nearly a decade IIRC.

I was there in 2017.

Yep, closed in 2017. Somehow it seems like much longer, but covid had effected my sense of time.

1 Like

The City does not regulate corkage or BYOB. As others have said, it’s up to the establishment. I’ve done it without issue.

City of Chicago :: Liquor Licenses.

Absolutely with Corey on this.

1 Like

I had a glorious dinner at Schwa with great service and astonishing food. All depends on your point of view.

pretty sure it is illegal to drive with a previously opened bottle.

It if it’s locked up (in the trunk). If it’s in the back of an SUV, you can probably avoid a ticket. I carry mine in a zippered up case in the front seat, myself

I was chastised in Park City, Utah for opening my own bottle. Was told the law there is that the server has to open it. Were they afraid of hurt myself?

The open container laws require it to be in your trunk. If you do not have a trunk, it must be out of reach.
Think about that next time you drive home from the store with your growler. After all, it is an open container.
But you can have a six pack in your lap, if it has not been opened.

As other have mentioned, best to call the restaurant.

Here in Washington State is is not legal to bring a previously opened bottle, I have heard of some getting called out on this and the restaurant refused to open it again.

I do it regularly and have never been called out using this process:

• I carefully use a nice sharp foil cutter to get the top of the capsule off very cleanly.

• I then use an Ah-So to carefully remove the cork leaving very little, if no signs of removal.

• Then into the decanter (sometimes through a strainer into the decanter). The decanter I use for this is called a “recanter”. Recanter Wine Breather Decanter - Wine Enthusiast. Yes, I know you could save some and just use a funnel, but this works really well to get the wine back in the bottle.

Then, as others have mentioned, once the wine is back in the bottle press the cork back in all the way and you are good to go.

1 Like

Illinois allows you to drive with one partial bottle from a restaurant meal, but it has to be sealed by the restaurant in a clear, tamper-proof bag:

“§ 6-33. Sealing and removal of open wine bottles from a restaurant or winery. Notwithstanding any other provision of this Act, a restaurant licensed to sell alcoholic liquor in this State may permit a patron to remove one unsealed and partially consumed bottle of wine for off-premise consumption provided that the patron has purchased a meal and consumed a portion of the bottle of wine with the meal on the restaurant premises. Notwithstanding any other provision of this Act, a winery licensed to sell alcoholic liquor in this State may permit a patron to remove one unsealed and partially consumed bottle of wine for off-premise consumption. A partially consumed bottle of wine that is to be removed from the premises pursuant to this Section shall be securely sealed by the licensee or an agent of the licensee prior to removal from the premises and placed in a transparent one-time use tamper-proof bag. The licensee or agent of the licensee shall provide a dated receipt for the bottle of wine to the patron. Wine that is resealed in accordance with the provisions of this Section and not tampered with and transported in accordance with the restrictions of subsections (a) and (b) of Section 11-502 of the Illinois Vehicle Code shall not be deemed to violate Section 11-502 of the Illinois Vehicle Code.“

(Not legal advice)

Utah has famously quirky on-premise liquor laws.

2 Likes

Your fine, I do it often in Chicago and never had even a question raised about it. Also agree most places it’s easy to call and ask up front that usually paves the way for them to look for you when you arrive and send the knowledgeable wine person on staff over which is often helpful and fun.

Aaron just left Oriole; not sure who is next but I’d call.

I’m aware. I own a restaurant in IL. Yes you can leave a restaurant with an open bottle if it’s sealed in a plastic bag. The question here is can you bring an open bottle into a place. To my knowledge it’s technically illegal. I’ve never heard you can drive with open alcohol but I’m no expert. Still the operative question is will the business let you.