Chenin Blanc for less than $100 --- who do you go to?

I quite like Domaine de Belliviere - Jasnieres Les Rosiers although Eric Nicolas’ wines can be idiosyncratic. The 2014 was drinking very well about 9 months ago. It’s still available in NYC. I’d expect it to start shutting down at some point soon if it hasn’t already.

fify

What do folks think of the wines from Jacky Blot?

I actually like them quite a bit, although some complain of more oak than they like. Biggest problem is that it’s hard to get them in Seattle.

I would second really liking the Marc Angelli wines from Anjou.

Love those wines.

In my world, Cheval Blanc may be more than $100, but Chenin Blanc is not.

A couple people have mentioned it already, but I had a remarkable '11 Guiberteau Clos des Carmes recently. It was a dynamic, rich wine with sparkling acidity. Not cheap, but definitely got me pumped about drinking CB from Breze.

Surprised no one has mentioned Ken Forrester’s “The FMC”. A stellar bottle of wine if you’re not going to go to the Loire.

I’m shocked it took this many posts for someone to say this.

wine is awesome. The 2010 is a beast as well.

Great Chenin and still less than a C-note I hear.

I’ve enjoyed a Jasnieres from Domaine de la Roche Bleue that was recommended to me by the folks at a terrific local wine store. It is clean and bright and sharp as a tack and is only $30. It is well north of other appellations in the Loire region.

https://www.princetoncorkscrew.com/wines/2013-Domaine-De-La-Roche-Bleue-Jasnieres-Sec-w6317922y3

South Africa must surely be the reference point outside of France, nowadays. Sadie Family would be my first stop, and Mullineux.

+1 on Sandlands. I also liked the Dirty and Rowdy Chenin.

Wind Gap has one for $25 I’ve been meaning to try.

For a 4pack!

If you are going domestic please give Leo Steen Chenin Blanc a try. Leo makes a few Chenin’s from different vineyards. Here are a couple.
Look for the 2014 leo Steen Chenin Blanc Jurassic Vineyard and 2016 Leo Steen Chenin Blanc Peaberry. They are as different as night and day. 2014 Jurassic is rich, sophisticated, fragrant good structure and with layered flavor. The 2016 Peaberry is wild and wooly, more acid driven, rustic, savory and nice flavors.

Just had a bottle of the 2014 Jurassic last week with seared scallops and it was a beautiful match.

The two vintages listed are the current releases and available.

Tom

You must have excellent taste. Too.

This is the nail on the head for good Jasnieres.

I just had a bottle of Domaine des Roches Neuves Saumur Clos de L’Echelier the other night and thought it was very good. Worth seeking out.

I don’t know why in the hell I haven’t searched out any Leo Steen Chenin yet. I love the varietal and I hear nothing but good things about the producer.

Out of curiosity, how would you compare the Steen Chenins to other top domestic producers like Sandlands? I know there’s a ton of variables there (you even mentioned how different the two Steen chenins are), but would love to get a feel for how they are similar/different stylistically. Thanks in advance!