Chenin Blanc for less than $100 --- who do you go to?

No mention of Collier either?

Huet, Chidaine, Pinon and Sandlands have all been mentioned. (Borrowing credibility) Florida Jim has published notes in which he has extolled Leo Steen’s Chenins, particularly “The Steen” from Jurassic vineyard. It is a great chenin.

Another vote for Paumonock…They make 2 Chenins…a basic Chenin and another one called Minimalist, both are quite good.

Me too. Especially the Savennieres.

Brian, are you only looking for absolute dry?

You can occasionally find well stored bottles of 1996 Soucherie Coteaux du Layon VV (not the Chaume) well south of $100. The well stored bottles are dynamite and don’t come off as particularly sweet. I’ve opened bottles that ended up unanimous WOTN among heavy hitter red competition. Soucherie isn’t that consistent but this wine is a home run.

Richard Leroy
Guiberteau
Huet
Pinon
Roches Neuves/ Thierry Germain

I happen to like baumard’s savennieres, and I am currently on the fence about Chidaine, having had both winners and losers.

E.g. Cartology by Alheit.

+1

This conversation prompted me to try a old chenin blanc. Opened a '96 Huet Clos du Bourg Demi-Sec which just again reminded me how these wines can be nearly immortal and unique. This wine has gobbled up nearly all of the slight sweetness present in youth. With air even more so. Amazing to be able to buy these a a decent price and age them with few worries.

Personally, yes. But, for the benefit of others who may prefer semi-sweets or sweets, everyone should feel free to also nominate off-dry bottlings, although it would be helpful if any such suggestions are so indicated.

Can the OP please correct the typo in the title from $100 to $10. Otherwise the Admin can do it.

Kthanxbye.

1 Like

Smartypants. :stuck_out_tongue:

A few more to add:
Anjou
Mark Angeli
Benoit Courault
Saumur
Chateau Yvonne
Vouvray
Michel Autran

Another vote for Chidaine, Baumard Savennieres, and Baudry

That was my first thought when I saw the title of this thread. Have you (Brian) not drunk Huet Sec?

Is this available in the US?

I love Baumard and Huët!

For domestic Chenin Blanc, I am enjoying more from Mendocino than from the Clarksburg region, personally. I think that there are many solid <$20/btl Californian Chenin Blanc wines, overall.

1 Like

Huet- prefer Clos du Bourg sec but all are enjoyable…least favorite has been their bubbly
Guiberteau - several in lineup worth exploring ; most are dry style
Paumanok - both offerings are always enjoyable & well made
Boudignon - some(2012s) have blown me away and others(2013) have me wondering whether the acid will ever resolve and integrate.

Brian,
With that ceiling who do you NOT go to?

Yes, and it is very good.