Chenin Blanc and "wet wool"

So I was reading through some of Jacqueline Friedrich’s tasting notes on various Loire wines, when I came across the following quote from her:

“On the downside, there’s that whiff of wet wool that I so dislike in Chenin.”

Excuse me? It seems to me that wet wool is a pretty fundamental descriptor for Chenin Blanc. I’m a big fan of Chenin Blanc (particularly versions that retain some notable residual sugar), but I wouldn’t call myself an expert by any stretch of the imagination (I’m a surly young student, at best!). Regardless, I’m not sure how Jacqueline can be a fan of Chenin Blanc (and she is), and yet dislike the wet wool aromas and flavors.

It seems like there’s something unwritten, but implied within her statement, that I’m not aware of. Can any of our resident Chenin Blanc experts help me reconcile her statement?

PS - Her website is http://www.jacquelinefriedrich.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, and the comment is about half-way down the Wine Tasting Notes page.

Paging Brad Kane!!!

Maybe she enjoys the taste of Chenin but not so much the aromas.

I’ve only had a few Chenins, and every single time, I notice a waxy texture on the roof of my mouth. That’s the only varietal I’ve noticed that (Chapstick) sensation from. Don’t know why. If anyone has light to shed on why that is, please chirp away.

Hope you don’t mind me tacking on another question Jim, but I figured while we were on the subject. Thanks.

I’ve seen wet wool talked about as a fault related to SO2 or bacterial problems. Do you think it is also a varietal characteristic of chenin? Could it just be common in small amounts in chenin? Do you notice it more in dry versions than off dry or sweet versions? (I do, but I see some disagreement)

Jim-

That’s my take. If you have an issue with lanolin, you can’t fully embrace Chenin.

Fwiw, I think her book A Wine and Food Guide to Loire is worth a read for the information about estates and such that it provides, but I don’t have a use for her wine notes.

Brad

I found a general post where she exchanges emails with Terry Theise on the subject of chenin blanc here that may shed some light. I’m wondering perhaps if she’s implying that there’s good wool and bad wool…

Veronica, I find that chenin also often has a waxy character, which is probably what you’re detecting. Unfortunately, I couldn’t even wager a guess on the underlying chemical basis for that textural perception.

Doug, in general, I find lanolin/wet wool to be a fairly common characteristic of chenin blanc. It may also be a reason why chenin is less accessible/less loved by many, as it’s not a characteristic demonstrated by many other varieties, and certainly there are a fair number of people don’t necessarily appreciate/care for this property.

The perplexing thing is that Jacqueline definitely indicates a love for chenin blanc, which seems challenging considering the frequency of this property is encountered in chenin blanc-based wines!

In any case, I’ve emailed Jacqueline, and she may well answer the question on her website… so we shall see.

Brad, your comments on the her book match my impressions as well.

Although I am a big consumer of Loire Chenin, neither “wet wool” nor “lanolin” are descriptors to which I relate. Perhaps I don’t eat or even sniff enough wool [tease.gif] . On the other hand, I do relate to the “wax” thing which may be using another word to describe more or less the same aroma. I usually love it in moderation.

Veronica, you don’t get that waxy thing in aged Bordeaux Blanc or Aussie Semillon? I LOVE that!

V-

Which ones have you had?

I frequently get a waxiness to the wines, as well as something I describe as shoe polish. Don’t ask me to get scientific as to what it is, though I’m sure it’s something inherent in the grape. I’d bet some of my more chemistry minded friends can specifically identify what compounds they are, but my eyes usually glaze over when they start talking in chemistry speak.

bkny

+1. flirtysmile

+1. One of the reasons I drink Bordeaux Blanc! Probably my favorite white wines…or at least one of them.

JD

Funny Traci and I agree on almost everything wine wise and Chenin is a source of agreement…neither of us likes it. Huet excepted. Neither of us like Rhone whites either - except those that are grenache blanc dominate…

I seem to recall you really liking the '02 Chamboreau- Savenierres Roches aux Moines- Cuvee D’Avant we had up at Cain Vineyard.

Very few exceptions…Traci and I agree on almost everything wine wise…which is a good thing!!

I have issues with chenin, with the exception of young dry Huet. I don’t think of the flavor as “wet wool”- to me, it’s “green tea”. Either way, its a turnoff for me.

Roberto, have had Bordeaux Blanc, but not aged. Neither have I had Aussie Semillion. Will have to make a point to try them.

Tony, I love white Rhones mainly for their floral aromatics. Their low acidity does not bother me although I’m a fan of acid.

Brad, I cannot remember the Chenins I’ve had. I’ve had a few dry and off-dry Chenin from the Loire, also ones from S. Africa, California, and sparkling wine from France. The Chenin I had from California I remember liking the most (Ballentine), since it seemed the least waxy. For me, the waxy texture is distracting. I have friends who love Chenin, so it makes me wonder what I’m missing out on. So far though, my Chenin switch has not been flipped.

Hmm… not sure I have smelt enough wet wool to indentify that descriptor, but I certainly think I know what you guys are talking about - I would describe it as “beeswax” or “chap-stick”.

I tend to find the same smell / taste in Rhone varietals like Marsanne, Rousanne and (to a lesser extent Viognier) and aged Semillion - hence the Bord Blanc references. I like it, but I can see why some people would not.

The beeswax is something completely separate, Paul. One frequently gets both beeswax/honeycomb as well as lanolin/wet wool in Chenin.

Hope this helps?

Linalool - a specific flavor compound within the broader group of compounds called terpenes. Terpenes are responsible for the floral, fragrant aromas found in wines made from varieties such as Riesling, Gewurztraminer, Muscat and Chenin Blanc.

Terpenes are a large and varied class of hydrocarbons, produced primarily by a wide variety of plants, particularly conifers. They are the major components of resin, and of turpentine produced from resin.

With regard to my questions, Jacqueline Friedrich has printed my email and a short response here: http://www.jacquelinefriedrich.com/events.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So it seems that her belief is that the wet wool flavor is an undesirable property of chenin blanc potentially caused by harvesting prior to achieving phenolic ripeness, or when it is mishandled in some way.