Chateau Rayas holding back wine to drive prices higher?

RAYAS-2010, CdP-Reserve:

1 Like

Some stores in NYC already has the 2009 Rayas Reserve listed at slightly over $1,000 pre-arrival.

Just fwiw: ā€œReserveā€ has no meaning at all (now) - everything is Reserve ā€¦ Rayas, Pignan, even Fonsalette and Ch.des Tours V. and CdRh. ā€¦
only Domaine des Tours Vin des Pays is not.

You really shouldnā€™t use this site as a reliable indicator of prices. They are known for very high pricing, hence why they still have stocks of pretty-difficult-to-find wines.

I just had a look at Ramonet: 600 EUR for a BĆ¢tard 2012, when it was 52 EUR at the Domaine. The Montrachet is 1800 EUR when it is 150ā‚¬ at the Domaine. All hyped domaines are priced in the same manner.

Rayas 2009 and 2010 will likely go around 300-400 EUR on most sites, which is still 2-3x what youā€™d pay if you bought from the Domaine (which is possible for anyone willing to write a letter, even if youā€™ll have only one bottle per year).

Alain

How well do Rayas reserves age?

Ummm, Rayas is 100% grenache. Genache has a reputation for oxidising early. You would therefore think Rayas, which is also fairly light and ethereal, would be an early drinker. You would be wrong. There is no CdP like Rayas, IMO. My most recent bottle (a couple months ago) was a 1989, which was mind blowing. The 1988, 1989 and 1990 are all going strong.

Good to hear!!

You need to drink your Rayas young. Otherwise it ages to the point where you canā€™t afford to drink it.

True dat. But recent vintages are starting at that point. Anywhere over $500 on U.S. release and I am out.

(as written above all Rayas is ā€œReserveā€)

What Chuck said - and in addition a 1970 drunk in 2011, a 1979 a year ago were all as good as imaginable ā€¦ 1981 and 1983 is still strong ā€¦ same for 1985.

Although Rayas (and its silblings) might seem to be accessable early I think the best time to drink it is between 20 and 30/35 years ā€¦
thatĀ“s my experience if you wanna get some tertiaery depth and complexity ā€¦
ā€œsmallerā€ vintages like 1992/93 will reach maturity earlier (10-15 years) ā€¦ and should be drunk up now.

(all imho of course)

Looks like the trend has just accelerated. Now its $2,100 -$2,600 per bottle or more vs $500 just three years ago. Any thoughts on this?

Available in almost any level restaurant in France - from bistro to ***.
Typically priced at 350-400ā‚¬.

I think I recently paid 295ā‚¬ for a bottle of 2009.

And, FWIW, I would rather drink 2010 Pignan than 2009 Rayas.

my best wine in 2020 was the 1990 Rayas. As far as pricing goes, see what the current auction values are. Pricing is through the roof. $1800 for the 2008 rings a bell.

Itā€™s absolute insanity. No one can play the Rayas game now. The sad thing is that the wines are so singular. If you donā€™t want to pay for Arnoux Lachaux you can still buy Hudelot Noellat or something. But thereā€™s not another Rayas. Not anywhere.

Most recent K&L auction the 2008 hammered for $2600.

The ex winery price for Ch. Rayas of something like Euro 130. This has not changed much as far we know from Gerhard and a couple of French posters (Nov 2021).

Damn secondary market etc

I hoped that this 2019 prediction would not come true (so fast)ā€¦

When I said it will pass $1k usd many said it wouldnt. I see Rayas wines going to $5k. The demand is still there and according to shops Iā€™ve been talking to, the allocations are getting harder to get.

My two centsā€¦ there are just too many people with too much money that can afford to pay whatever something costs if they want it. I saw it at Morrell while watching Burgundy climb. Then I saw it with GB Burlotto and Keller. Now itā€™s Rayas. I do believe that at some point everyone in the three tier system takes a small percentage, but as long as thereā€™s someone willing to pay for it, it will keep happening. The good news, is that thereā€™s always going to be another great winemaker and terroir (especially because of global warming) thatā€™s up-and-coming.

Shocks me still, the price you and I paid for the 2008! Those days are long gone, lol. It was
My WOTY last year along with 2005 Vatan. I have one of those Vatans left. Iā€™m ok that Iā€™m priced out of Rayas. Was a great experience but Iā€™ve moved on.

1 Like

Most recent bottle of 2008 Rayas sold for $2600 at K&L. Last 3 bottles of 1990 rayas hammered for >$4200. Even 1990 Pignan hammered for $1500.