Chateau Rayas holding back wine to drive prices higher?

I don’t collect CDP. I do collect and drink Rayas. One of my absolute favorite wines to drink. A few years ago I was going to pull the 04 for dinner and grabbed the 08 by mistake. We were ooh and awing over the wine when I looked at the vintage tag. Big surprise and a reminder to just rely on great producers.

Anyone willing to offer up where to get these when they release in the US ? I have acquired all of mine at auction, would love to by some direct.

The '85 Rayas I had last year was my WOTY and in my top 5 lifetime wines.

Good to know William,
As I recently sourced some!

There is only one US importer, Martine’s Wines, and the 2009 will be released this year.

Gentlemen,

Pleeez, what would an original case of 1990 Rayas, Reserve CdP be priced at, and, an original case of 1990 Fonsalette, both in pristene condition?

At a Sotheby’s, Christie’s or HDH auction, what is your speculation/estimate as to hammer price for each?

And, while were at it, pricing for the Fonsalette-Syrah '80s and '90s?

The comparison would be to the 1990 H. Bonneu-Celestins! Sotheby’s has sold this vintage, recently, at retail, at $4,000.00 per bottle!

Can’t imagine that there isn’t a financial motivation/consideration in this scenario, at the chateau and/or elsewhere relative to Rayas wines!

I paid €166-- for 2009 Rayas.
The real prices are more than fair.

1 Like

Where does one sign up for the list?

I don’t know if there are any formal lists. Best bet is to make friends with a retailer that gets an allocation

I bought mine for pretty much the same price. I found that only the back vintages have been significantly higher priced, like this last round of 2001 and 2007’s that were released. I personally love the wines, so I was just happy to be offered some.

I was offered some 2009 about two years ago for about $450. It was a retailer that buys it from Martines. Somebody is making a big mark up on the wine in the US.

This would have been gray market. Guessing the bottles don’t have the Martine’s label? As previously mentioned, the official 2009 US release is happening this year to coincide with the 50th anniversary of Martine’s.

I believe the '09 is coming out at around $1,000/bottle in the US.

Is it their 50th? I thought it was 40th.

Is this true? Straight from a retailer that purchases from Martine? That is absolutely crazy considering I recently purchased some '07 for literally a little over a third of that price.

Speaking of which, has anybody read the CT TN on the '07 Rayas from Keith Levenberg? For those who have tasted the '07, what were your impressions?

I really have a fondness for the wines from this domaine but I gave up once the pricing went berserk. Regardless of who/how the price changed, it is now beyond what I want to pay. Spending 100s of dollars on wine now that in common wisdom is deemed to be aged for a decade or more is not in my strategy anymore.

You are right.

It has been a long time since I tasted it, but while it is a high-octane vintage for Rayas, it didn’t taste like that when I encountered it. But there was talk of the 2007 Rayas refermenting, and if that is true, there would be more than usual levels of bottle variation. I own the Pignan, Fonsalette and Rayas Blanc, but no Rayas, otherwise I would be tempted to open a bottle to see.

And to think that I grabbed 3 bottles of 2001 Pignan from Winebid for $110 each in what seems like just 4-5 years ago. Now, that would never happen.

Unless you are calibrated with KL, just ignore anything he says about any wine. I paid under $200 for my 6 pack of ‘07 Rayas. $1,000 is hard to believe, but if true, that’s nuts. A bunch of ‘90 Rayas coming up at HDH for estimated 1500-2000 per bottle, some from a client of mine where the wine has been well stored for 20+ years and is certainly genuine.

1 Like

From what I’ve of direct release prices relative to retailer prices it’s not due to price.

Personally I’m a fan of wineries holding back vintages if they are able to as especially here in NYC many great wines are drunk when babies (and I’ve certainly been guilty of this too!)