Chardonnay hangovers

I have considered posting this many times, but always held back as I thought I was just crazy. But I am now convinced that there is something fundamentally different about a Chardonnay grape that gives me a hangover unlike anything else I drink.

It doesn’t matter how its make or where it’s made, but nothing reliably gives me a hangover quite like Chardonnay. California, Oregon, White Burgundy, Chablis, heavily oaked, stainless steel blah blah it doesn’t matter - they all kill me the next day, even in small quantities.

For a long time I assumed this was simply a function of ABV, but over the last year I’ve consistently had no issue while drinking higher ABV reds.

Is there anyone else out there who experiences this too? Should we start a support group?

Occam’s razorwise, do you drink more of it when its Chardonnay? :clinking_glasses:

2 Likes

Nope controlled that too! If anything I drink less.

feedback loop, happened a couple times so now you anticipate it happening each time so it does.

1 Like

Champagne? Same issue?

1 Like

Just chardonnay? Any other white grapes?

I will say that my 47 year old brother, a nurse and fairly typical social drinker, steadfastly insists that white wine give him headaches. :man_shrugging:

Unknown. I don’t drink 1-2 glasses of champagne in isolation enough.

Just chardonnay. I drink lots of Riesling, Gruner, Chenin etc without issue.

What about wines with more lees? Like Hungarian Dry Furmint or Muscadet?

Champagne BdB?

I stopped drinking Chardonnay years ago for this very reason, and I generally am not hungover from wine.

In fact, I do sometimes now have a glass, but hold it to that and switch to something else afterwards.

The only thing I can think of uniquely Chardonnay is battonage?

Interesting. I always thought the standard line among the civilians was that red wine gives stronger hangovers.

For me - as I assume for many here - it’s more about amount of alcohol vs. hydration, regardless of type.

1 Like

Such an interesting discussion - and one that there probably is no one ‘correct answer’ for. Quick question - do you feel the same with Chablis or stainless fermented and aged chardonnays or it does not matter? Does the amount of new oak matter? What about alcohol levels?

We need more info please

Cheers

Indeed—that’s what makes it a weird contention.

+1 with minor note removing Grand Cru Chablis due to the higher likelihood of oak.

Other question - another I am sure silly one… both champagne and Chardonnay tend to be earlier in the night (possibly pre food) and/or paired with veggies or fish or shellfish (generalities of course) vs a red later and with other pairings.

2nd to last ignorant question- have you ever had truly Natty Chardonnay (R&D not recommended)?

Last ignorant question- have you eaten a Chardonnay grape?

Had a female friend dead seriously claiming that any white wine turned her into a raging b***h. Said it never happened with red, only white.

Maybe there’s something with white wine… :scream: :thinking:

It could be something chemical, maybe sulfites? Find a sulfite rich non Chardonnay and see what happens …

1 Like

Many, including myself, tend to drink Champagne or white wine after reds if a red is even consumed at all.