Changing Bordeaun't to Bordieu

Dennis may have focussed on 1995 because I mentioned how good the VCC 1995 is in a PM to him. It is an exception to the the 1995, like others I find it an OK vintage but not exceptional.

At the top of the price range are some exceptional 1996s. Ducru, Las Cases and Pichon Lalande. Also Barton and Pape Clement at a lower price.

Some people have mentioned Right bank 1998s; totally agree with that and would urge you to look for Figeac, Pavie’s last good vintage, Clos Fourtet and from the Graves Pape Clement.

I like all the recs given here, except I would focus my efforts on the 1980s wines. I feel it’s in the 25-30 year window that Bordeaux really start to show their special character. I was once a big BDX skeptic like you (largely because of the often-galling prices), but great, mature examples made me an enthusiastic convert. What’s lucky for you is that the 1980s included an exceptional run of vintages, came before any real Parker influences, and many are drinking very well now.

If you don’t like the graphite, I’d stay away from Pauillac entirely and stick primarily to Graves and the Right Bank. Some good examples that are well within your range include Pape Clement (1986, 1988-1990), the 1986 Gruaud Larose, Magdelaine (1982, 1985, and 1989 are all great), and Canon (the 1989 is a personal favorite at an excellent price).

Glad to hear you’re keeping an open mind.

A lot of 01s are delicious right now. Pavie D is quite good, as is Pontet C and can be found well below your budget. 01 Le Plus (de fleur de Bouard) is rockin too. 05 Alter Ego can also be found on the cheap and is awesome. 03 PLL is also a stunner if your bottle is on, as is Troplong Mondot oddly enough…Those are ones I really liked that I think won’t be on the top of everyone’s mind.

To grossly over generalize, I’d pick 85/89/90 over 95/96. 98 in Pomerol and Top Pessac/Graves, and 01s are far more ready than 00s and are delicious.

1995 Grand Puy Lacoste is another highlight of the vintage, and almost certainly less expensive than the VCC now

Got one of them in a Danby next to the Clinet. [cheers.gif] However, one of your recent posts in the “What bottle did you open today” caused me to check that chateau out. There’s currently one bottle from that house, along with a forum favorite mentioned in this thread, in my HDH cart. Gotta make a decision on those two, and then call it quits for a while as I’ll have 7 different bottles to try from various vintages and producers spanning 1986 to 1995.

You guys are pretty cool to help a Beaunehead like me get Bordeaux.

Okay, here’s the rundown of Bordeaux as of now…

Currently in a Danby
1995 Clinet
1995 Grand Puy Lacoste
1998 La Conseillante

Weather Hold at HDH
1986 Pape-Clément
1989 La Dominique
1990 Talbot
1990 La Louvière Rouge

Freshly won from WineBid
1995 Vieux Chateau Certan

There’s one or two other suggestions I’m considering too, but I think this is a good mix of vintages and producers to start.

Thanks everyone! [cheers.gif] Further reports as events warrant…

2001 Ducru Beaucaillou

I would be very happy with that group of wines.

Although Talbot 1996 is a great wine - it will most probably show some lead pencil …

La Dominique 1989 is a very good call …

I´d add a somewhat odd suggestion to the ones above, but believe me the wine (from a well-stored bottle) is very fine:

Pavie-Macquin 1997 !

La Conseillante 1989 might be over 250,- …

Yeah. If you don’t enjoy these wines you can safely ignore bdx from now on.

And the 1995 Grand Puy Lacoste which is what I was going to suggest.

I am thinking that Dennis must’ve been a very naughty boy in elementary school, getting his knuckles whacked by the school Teacher and her handy pencils. How can you not love pencil shavings and graphite in your Bordo? I want to chew on a number two right now. Pencil, that is.

Robert, were you in my classes? I bet you were one of those boys that laughed at the class clown’s antics but never admitted to it. Clapping erasers, washing the blackboard (well, it was actually green in some classrooms), and EMPTYING THE PENCIL SHARPENERS were part of detention. That smell will forever be etched in my memory. Blech!!!
vintage-Boston-KS-eight-hole-all-metal-hand-crank-desktop-pencil-sharpener-1stopretroshop-z615100-1.jpg

Nah, I usually just beat up the class clown. I was hyperactive like that. :slight_smile:

I have one of those pencil sharpeners.

Among some damn fine bottles last night at our wine club was a '96 Haut Brion. Of course it’s way more than my set budget, but day-yam! [drinkers.gif] It didn’t take WOTN (a 2007 Verité was singing) but was certainly something I’d drink again. Just not buy at $400+ per 750ml bottle. [wink.gif]

If you want a more affordable wine from the Graves, try Domaine de Chevalier

Had a '96 Cos for $130ish… Lovely bottle, wish I had more

Or Louviere

Chevalier and Louviere are most excellent suggestions!