Champagne: The 2023 Spring Preview BY ANTONIO GALLONI | MAY 23, 2023

But it doesn’t really matter if nobody knows he said it.

2 Likes

how did he “beat him” to this story? I am still struggling to understand what is “telling”

2 Likes

He posted about it well before AG

1 Like

Posted where

1 Like

This tells me he’s not retired

If you have to be told then you don’t care enough for me to help you.

I’m sure he still has access to what were his clients not that long ago.

2 Likes

I think David is trying to make some sort of qualitative comparison between two ppl in the wine business because one apparently published a cautionary note about 2020 champagne a couple of weeks before the other, which seems passing strange to me.

6 Likes

Months.

AG is just Suckling without the scarf.

3 Likes

Screenshot 2023-05-25 at 21-36-41 Champagne The 2023 Spring Preview (May 2023) Vinous - Explore All Things Wine
Screenshot 2023-05-25 at 21-36-16 NEW CHAMPAGNES FROM MOUSSE

This may be the pettiest, least meaningful non-controversy in the history of WB and I feel dumber for having participated

6 Likes

So 6 weeks.

You do realize the whole point was to make you go look.

1 Like

Interesting observation indeed! While the comments on 2018 are brief, I can’t help but feel that this is the worst vintage of the decade since 2011. I can literally feel the heat on some 2018 base wines. Conversely, from what I’ve tasted, 2015 vintage resolved rather nicely. I couldn’t locate vegetal notes on any of the 2015 vintage RM champagnes that I’ve had so I guess I’m in the “won’t notice it” camp.

1 Like

This is wise, Brad. Thinking about whether something can be perceived is more in line with how I was seeing it, too. We can finitely take apart things and try and dissect flaws and negatives, and the discussions around here are geared toward a space where we do often talk about the finite, deeper themes of wine. Maybe 2020 has some issues. Yet for all the wines of 2015 I have tasted, I can’t remember one where I thought, “ah man, something ain’t right with this, and it’s something I have seen in other 2015s”.

I used to be tasked with working with the Teamsters as part of an HR leadership role I once held. The business agent for the Teamsters Local would sometimes tell me, “We’re picking flies out of the poop”, meaning we’re too much into the detail of something, we’re overworking the topic. I sometimes think about that idea, his comment, and then how it might fit into the discourse here about wine. I dunno, I simply find a lot to like about Champagne these days, and even in vintages that are tough, like 2011, perhaps 2015 and to some extent 2018, there are still things to like and be positive for.

2 Likes

fits into a Burgundy discussion more easily.

Frank,

Good analogy. I would agree that we are picking flies out of poop if we start digging into things and calling 2018 a tough vintage. 2018 isn’t the dynamite vintage many hoped for or thought it would be after the harvest and early vins clairs tasting, but it is still a very good year if somewhat dilute (especially in the wrong hands). The only years of the 2010s that are better across the entire region than 2018 are 2012, 2013, and 2019.

I like 2015. It is a bright, fruity, not necessarily structured, not intense, but an easy going, easy drinking in its youth vintage with an occasional savory or herbal note that I find interesting. If every vintage was the same, it would be boring. The whole reason for making a vintage is to discover the climate of the year in some form whether it be location, region, grape, specific blend, etc… With 2011, many of the NVs have softened with time and drink nicely. Those that had a lot of 2010 reserves had another obstacle to deal with, but time often does wonders and we are many times too quick to say what is good or bad especially when we have blinders on to the here and now.

Look at 2005, many pooh-poohed the vintage early for musty potato and unattractive mushroom elements. It made many avoid the vintage altogether and set the trend for 2011 where even more just said no to the entire vintage due to bad press; some producers even decided not to release their 2011s. I’m not saying 2005 is a great vintage by any means, but it is not the disaster that many initially said it would be. I just wish those that yelled loudly about how bad 2005 was and now admit that it was an incorrect reaction would yell as loudly that they were wrong. But, no, it is easier to just move on. Yelling gets attention even if you don’t know why you are yelling or you are not making sense.

We will have to see how 2015 and 2020 turn out, but I have no issues with either and feel both are vintage worthy. They are unique and they should help everyone learn moving forward as the climate in Champagne changes. 2021 is another interesting vintage. Lots of challenges, small yields, many said it was a disaster, yet I like the wines. Very classical. The closest thing to a 2013 or more traditional old school Champagne year in a long time. Vintage wines will be in small quantity and many won’t get made, but those that do will likely be loved by those who want the racy, structured, lower potential alcohol, lower pH of the past (relatively speaking).

-Edited to correct the 3rd sentence in the 3rd paragraph from the incorrect “I’m not saying 2005 is not a great vintage” to the correct "“I’m not saying 2005 is a great vintage”

4 Likes

Why did you choose not to include 2014, Brad?

2 Likes

It’s amazing how much Champagne differs from the rest of France (and Germany) on top years. I have a boatload of 2012 Champagne but pretty much skipped the '13 vintage as it wasn’t great in the rest of France. Woops

2 Likes

Brian,

I didn’t include 2014 because as a region-wide generalization, I find 2014 to be a solid, average vintage that is best suited for non-vintage wines . In most cases, I feel it is not expressive or unique enough to best shine on its own. While there are always going to be certain villages, plots, grapes, producers, etc… that excel in lesser years, the best of the best in 2014 isn’t as good as the best of the best in the better vintages. To me, 2014 is the best of the average to below average years of the 2010s which include 2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, & 2017. If there is any one area that I think did the best in 2014, the Northern Montagne de Reims villages would take the prize. Chardonnay was the strongest grape of the year and a number of very nice BdB or Chardonnay driven wines were made from the Northern Montagne and Cote de Blancs.

2 Likes